RIP Bob Tibbetts "Northgate Bob"

meanderingthalweg

31 Mar 2022, 22:03

I tried calling him several times about a repair recently and didn't receive a reply. Apparently he passed away in February... Super nice guy the few times I got to talk with him.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/be ... d=33179420
http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

Muirium
µ

31 Mar 2022, 23:09

That’s a shame. He was a popular chap around here.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... thgate+Bob

Checking the Wayback Machine to see they’ve archived his very vintage site, I had to chuckle when I saw what it looked like twenty years ago in their earliest backup:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021123120 ... epair.com/

Time sleeps for no man, sadly. Peace be upon him.

HerbalNekoTea

01 Apr 2022, 01:05

Ah shit, was talking about him twice this week... Was not expecting that he died already. Seem this decade's gonna be full of people dying non stop due to the stress of being alone without their close family... Rest in peace Northgate Bob.

Easy_Spinach

01 Apr 2022, 02:08

Friendly reminder, today is 1st of april.

Polecat

01 Apr 2022, 04:26

Easy_Spinach wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 02:08
Friendly reminder, today is 1st of april.
That would be tomorrow, but hopefully nobody would joke about this.

Bob had announced his retirement due to health reasons a few years back, but apparently he was back, for a short while at least. Very sad to hear he's gone.

TNT

01 Apr 2022, 22:13

Talked with him some time ago because I had some questions regarding Omnikeys. Super helpful and nice guy. Sad to hear that he passed away. Wish the best to his family.

thefarside

03 Apr 2022, 22:44

Very sad to hear that. Bob had recently fixed my Omni Key 102 and was very nice and helpful. He did say he was semi-retired and had been teaching his neighbor to take over his work. Rest In Peace Bob.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Apr 2022, 01:39

I wonder if there is some way we can support his estate by offering to purchase remaining inventory. I don't even know how I would pose such a question in a tasteful way.

I'd run it as a silent auction with proceeds benefitting the family given the opportunity.

Polecat

04 Apr 2022, 01:50

Hopefully the neighbor he was teaching will be able to keep the business going.

meanderingthalweg

05 Apr 2022, 18:17

XMIT wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 01:39
I wonder if there is some way we can support his estate by offering to purchase remaining inventory. I don't even know how I would pose such a question in a tasteful way.

I'd run it as a silent auction with proceeds benefitting the family given the opportunity.
Yesterday, his wife called me back from the voicemail that I had left for him. She was very nice and mentioned the neighbor helping out, but sounded doubtful that he was going to keep the business going. She said they would be looking for a buyer in that case. I’m not comfortable sharing the phone number that she called from, but you could call the number on Bob’s site and leave a message with your sentiments and offer to assist. Just a thought.

RichardHill

20 Apr 2022, 15:28

Hello .. This is my first post to this group and I wish it was a happier one - but it is what it is.
I have been speaking to Bob's Son Brian over the past two months, having found out about Bob's passing after sending him a few keyboards to repair .. I've ended up learning how to clean troubleshoot and repair my Northgates .. but I do miss Bob.

Anyway, the point of my post is that Brian and his Mom have put all of Bob's Keyboard inventory and repair parts together and want to sell them all off as a bulk buy. I am attaching photos of the collection he sent to me as well as these notes from Brian.
There is another party interested and for all I know it's one of you, but I want to make sure that you all know what is happening and have a choice.

--- From Brian
"My mom and I discussed the price. We came up with $3,500. The thinking was as follows: The estimated retail value of the ready to go keyboards is $6,000. So we cut that in half, $3,000, for a sale price. The additional $500 covers all of the other materials. For a transaction on this, we’d like it to be either cash or a cashier’s check. There is another interested party so I’ll be providing the same information to them."

I do not have the space nor do I think I want to do Keyboard repairs as a side-gig, but I wanted to pass this on to the group to see if any one(s) are interested. Here is the inventory of repaired Keyboards:

Keyboard - /QTY
102 LOGO - /1
NORTHGATE 102AT/XT - /6
102's 8 SWITCH - /3
102AT/XT - /3
NORTHGATE 101 i - /7
NORTHGATE 101 - /1
101 N - /2
ULTRA - /5
ZEOS - /1
FOCUS 2000 PLUS - /1
DELL AT101W - /1
NORTHGATE PLUS - /1
PLUS - /4
AVANT STELLAR PUTTY - /2
AVANT STELLAR - /1

If there is any interest, please let me know and I will forward his email addy to you.
I wish I had the space and time ... but I don't

I'll post a proper introduction to myself later but I wanted to get this out asap.

Richard
Attachments
Stacked parts containers.jpg
Stacked parts containers.jpg (149.81 KiB) Viewed 50230 times
parts shelf 1.jpg
parts shelf 1.jpg (146.16 KiB) Viewed 50230 times
parts rack1.jpg
parts rack1.jpg (138.54 KiB) Viewed 50230 times
Parts ' n Keyboards.jpg
Parts ' n Keyboards.jpg (147.52 KiB) Viewed 50230 times
keycaps.jpg
keycaps.jpg (145.15 KiB) Viewed 50230 times
First View.jpg
First View.jpg (158.8 KiB) Viewed 50230 times
First View.jpg
First View.jpg (158.8 KiB) Viewed 50230 times

inozenz

20 Apr 2022, 19:12

RichardHill wrote:
Hello .. This is my first post to this group and I wish it was a happier one - but it is what it is.
I have been speaking to Bob's Son Brian over the past two months, having found out about Bob's passing after sending him a few keyboards to repair .. I've ended up learning how to clean troubleshoot and repair my Northgates .. but I do miss Bob.

Anyway, the point of my post is that Brian and his Mom have put all of Bob's Keyboard inventory and repair parts together and want to sell them all off as a bulk buy. I am attaching photos of the collection he sent to me as well as these notes from Brian.
There is another party interested and for all I know it's one of you, but I want to make sure that you all know what is happening and have a choice.

--- From Brian
"My mom and I discussed the price. We came up with $3,500. The thinking was as follows: The estimated retail value of the ready to go keyboards is $6,000. So we cut that in half, $3,000, for a sale price. The additional $500 covers all of the other materials. For a transaction on this, we’d like it to be either cash or a cashier’s check. There is another interested party so I’ll be providing the same information to them."

I do not have the space nor do I think I want to do Keyboard repairs as a side-gig, but I wanted to pass this on to the group to see if any one(s) are interested. Here is the inventory of repaired Keyboards:

Keyboard - /QTY
102 LOGO - /1
NORTHGATE 102AT/XT - /6
102's 8 SWITCH - /3
102AT/XT - /3
NORTHGATE 101 i - /7
NORTHGATE 101 - /1
101 N - /2
ULTRA - /5
ZEOS - /1
FOCUS 2000 PLUS - /1
DELL AT101W - /1
NORTHGATE PLUS - /1
PLUS - /4
AVANT STELLAR PUTTY - /2
AVANT STELLAR - /1

If there is any interest, please let me know and I will forward his email addy to you.

I'll post a proper introduction to myself later but I wanted to get this out asap.

Richard
REST IN PIECE

RichardHill

20 Apr 2022, 21:13

There are a LOT of people who wish his family well and will miss Bob. He was one of a kind.

Lalaland124

20 Apr 2022, 21:26

RichardHill wrote:

--- From Brian

Keyboard - /QTY
102 LOGO - /1
NORTHGATE 102AT/XT - /6
102's 8 SWITCH - /3
102AT/XT - /3
NORTHGATE 101 i - /7
NORTHGATE 101 - /1
101 N - /2
ULTRA - /5
ZEOS - /1
FOCUS 2000 PLUS - /1
DELL AT101W - /1
NORTHGATE PLUS - /1
PLUS - /4
AVANT STELLAR PUTTY - /2
AVANT STELLAR - /1

Richard

Rest In Peace - and wishing his family all the best through this difficult time.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 Apr 2022, 21:37

Hello RichardHill, welcome to Deskthority. I'm sorry your first post to the forum had to be under such unfortunate circumstances.

To make good on my prior post, I'll send you a DM to see if there is anything I can do to help. Though, being halfway across the US, logistics are a concern.

Stay well. My condolences.

thefarside

21 Apr 2022, 01:35

XMIT wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 21:37
Hello RichardHill, welcome to Deskthority. I'm sorry your first post to the forum had to be under such unfortunate circumstances.

To make good on my prior post, I'll send you a DM to see if there is anything I can do to help. Though, being halfway across the US, logistics are a concern.

Stay well. My condolences.
I’m about five hours away. If I can help in any way let me know.

RichardHill

21 Apr 2022, 03:03

Thanks to all - but I'm fine. It is Bob's family that is trying to sell the keyboard and repair inventory.
They have a more local contact whom I hope intends to continue the business, but it comes down to needing someone to buy and take it all away. I am passing on all of your well wishes and offers to Brian and as soon as he gives me any info, I will pass it back.

Of course if there was someone here in the NE/NY/NJ area who has the room for all of it, wanted to drive a van over to Stephentown NY, deliver a cashiers check, pick it all up and then take up the repairs ... that would be ideal :)

Seriously - I am just passing on Information and being a middleman. I just want Bob's family to not have any more stress and would like to see someone pick up the Northgate repair.

Richard

thefarside

21 Apr 2022, 23:28

Richard,

I sent you a message regarding the collection. Thanks.

orihalcon

22 Apr 2022, 01:40

Never had the privilege of interacting with Bob but definitely wish his family peace. From what I understand, he helped a lot of people with a skill that not everyone is cut out for or would take the time to do (coordinating shipping to and back for keyboard repairs can be rather discouraging all on its own). I am sure all of his former customers are even more proud to own a piece of his work and think of him fondly whenever they use one of his repaired boards.

KenH63

19 May 2022, 23:57

Someone bought his inventory and is getting set up to continue doing repairs. They aren't quite ready yet to take orders but hopefully, he can continue Bob's legacy.

Polecat

21 May 2022, 05:06

Thanks for the update, that's good news. I was tempted myself for a moment, but I dealt with customers in a former life, and I don't think I could do it again.

engr

21 Nov 2022, 08:15

Has anyone heard from the person who bought Bob's inventory? Even if they aren't ready to do repairs at the moment, I'm sure a lot of collectors (myself included) would be happy to purchase some spare parts for their Omnikeys.

KenH63

22 Nov 2022, 01:41

The guy who bought the inventory is in TN. He helped with one keyboard I bought from Bob before he passed that didn't work.

I sent him another one, and he still has it. I need to write him again and see what's going on. I don't think he has the bandwidth actually to do repairs on a regular basis. It is a shame - he should have let someone else buy the equipment and parts.

engr

22 Nov 2022, 19:03

KenH63 wrote:
I don't think he has the bandwidth actually to do repairs on a regular basis. It is a shame - he should have let someone else buy the equipment and parts.
That's unfortunate. Could you ask him if he would be willing to sell some spare parts or keyboards?

thefarside

23 Nov 2022, 00:47

KenH63 wrote:
The guy who bought the inventory is in TN. He helped with one keyboard I bought from Bob before he passed that didn't work.

I sent him another one, and he still has it. I need to write him again and see what's going on. I don't think he has the bandwidth actually to do repairs on a regular basis. It is a shame - he should have let someone else buy the equipment and parts.
That’s too bad. I remember Bob telling me his neighbor was learning to take over his business and I thought he would have purchased the collection, but it doesn’t seem like it if the person is from Tennessee (Bob was from upstate NY).

ifohancroft

24 Nov 2022, 17:59

Rest in Peace! Condolences to the family!

engr

26 Jul 2023, 20:22

Looks like the guy in TN who bought Bob's inventory has a web site up and running.
https://www.legacykeyboardandrepair.com/

thefarside

27 Jul 2023, 03:34

Glad to see someone is continuing Bob’s legacy. The site is interesting and the person looks like they have a pretty extensive test setup. Best of luck to them!

Bob saved my Omni Key 101 that had a dead controller, and I was thrilled to have his services. I’m happy to support this small community and will definitely reach out the next time I have an issue.

Polecat

27 Jul 2023, 05:08

Glad to see the nice comment left on our behalf on Bob's obituary page. And happy to see someone continuing the business.

Return to “News”