We all knew HAL ran on IBM

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2023, 22:45

They really should have mentioned this in the IBM PC 5155 portable computer sales brochure:

ChatGPT running on a computer science fiction would have chosen for it! Bravo Yeo Kheng Meng! The best thing I’ve seen running on something this vintage since Lynx. :D

Well, okay, the line breaks could use some work but you’re talking to the future, yesterday!

There’s something very rewarding in seeing this come to pass. I grew up occasionally chatting to Eliza / Dr. Sbaitso (as profanely as a dedicated tween Scot could muster!) and if you’d asked me then to describe computing in the future: it would be this! :lol:

Text chat sessions have come full circle around the wheel of fashion to be back in vogue again, right in time for some very artificial intelligence. (Here’s Stephen Wolfram on how it works.) Don’t get me wrong: I’d still prefer authentically self aware and conscious “thinking machines,” like the justifiably murderous HAL 9000 and the interplanetary ships they piloted, but this is definitely more fun than telling Siri or Alexa exactly what you really think of her, and I must try it as a party game sometime.

Return to “News”