Topre Realforce 108UH-S to be released in April

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 18:38

After the announcement of their plans last week, Topre has today revealed the full stats of the upcoming new addition to the Realforce Low-Noise line. The Topre Realforce 108UH-S will be released in early April.

The modified switch modules in this one offer a nearly silent operation and do not generate much noise at all. Gained popularity in August 2010, the Low-Noise models so far only consisted of the tenkeyless Realforce. Now due to high demand, the first full-sized keyboard is introduced with the new keymodules.
topre-01.jpg
topre-01.jpg (55.86 KiB) Viewed 7512 times
topre-02.jpg
topre-02.jpg (80.71 KiB) Viewed 7512 times
topre-03.jpg
topre-03.jpg (71.46 KiB) Viewed 7512 times
In addition to the keyboard, Topre will also release full sets of replacement keycaps (Japanese 108 key layout) in 5 different colors. The estimated retail price for the keyboard is 25,000 JPY (~302 USD/~218 EUR).

Via PC Watch Japan

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2011, 18:43

I don't get Topre. They make boring looking, perhaps even ugly keyboards for banks and stuff, where they are supposed to be boring, and then they release stuff so you can pimp those keyboards.

lootbag

09 Mar 2011, 16:09

bozo culture in Japan is very popular!
I am so buying a set of orange keycaps haha.

wanabe

09 Mar 2011, 18:59

mmmm..curious to see the new colored keycaps. don't really care for the low noise line, kind of takes away from the soul of a topre

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Mar 2011, 20:55

I agree. I like the thock of my HHKB.

espritsc

10 Mar 2011, 04:06

At $302, can anyone tell me why Topres are significantly more expensive than other mechanical keyboards? Is it mainly because of the keyboard switch technology?

Crazy9000

10 Mar 2011, 04:24

espritsc wrote:At $302, can anyone tell me why Topres are significantly more expensive than other mechanical keyboards? Is it mainly because of the keyboard switch technology?
At least on the Realforce, the build quality is very good as well. The switches do seem to cost a lot though.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Mar 2011, 04:31

It's probably a combination of things. Such as: they ask a high price, because they can; because of the yen, because of the dollar - because it's Japanese export; because Japan is not a low wage country; because of some of the best quality control in the business (every key is individualy tested), because if a bank buys keyboards, it is not acceptable if a key feels slightly weird (so you accidentally input an extra 0); because there is a relatively small Topre market; etc.

Crazy9000

10 Mar 2011, 04:39

webwit wrote:It's probably a combination of things. Such as: they ask a high price, because they can; because of the yen, because of the dollar - because it's Japanese export; because Japan is not a low wage country; because of some of the best quality control in the business (every key is individualy tested), because if a bank buys keyboards, it is not acceptable if a key feels slightly weird (so you accidentally input an extra 0); because there is a relatively small Topre market; etc.
Reliability is good. I wouldn't want to mistype my description of what I did to the other players mother last night on my gaming board.

I think because they can is a pretty strong factor. Although, if they could make it a bit cheaper you think they would in order to sell more.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Mar 2011, 04:45

Yes, but you're not a bank. I think the fact that keyboard enthusiasts started buying these boards was some kind of unintended accident for them. Although they have been gaming the Asian keyboard nut markets pretty well since then, despite the lack of real product development.

Crazy9000

10 Mar 2011, 04:56

I feel like if they were able to get a plain model down to $175, a lot more people would look at buying them. EK got one down to $215, so it's not too far of a stretch. http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php? ... =rf_se1200

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Mar 2011, 05:00

The HHKB was briefly below EUR 170 once, that sounds a lot better. Exchange rates do make a difference.

espritsc

10 Mar 2011, 05:33

I guess that's true. You can put a high price on quality.

I do love Realforce keyboards' sound though. It's very soothing.

rpgman1

10 Mar 2011, 05:44

You expect quality from Realforce keyboards since they're made in Japan and thoroughly tested to insure their quality. It's not about looks, it's all about performance and quality. It stinks that the US dollar vs. other well known currencies is very weak.

lucidlts

18 Mar 2011, 20:27

love the sound & low actuation force. the only problem now is to gather the fund to get myself 1 of these.

LaCap

19 Mar 2011, 18:28

Nice news.
I like the orange keycap set.
Someone knows if it's possible to buy it?

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

20 Mar 2011, 14:33

Capacitive keyboards are not cheap to make. Given that $140 buys you a Chinese made keyboard with mass produced Cherry switches, $200+ is not insane for a small company making a far more advanced switching design in smaller numbers, even if it is expensive for what you get in practical terms.

ripster

20 Mar 2011, 15:08

My new Dell U3011 has capacitive controls for the OSD on the bezel. This cracked me up.

So does my KitchenAid dishwasher.

I haven't tested them all with Model M and F Buckling Spring hammers because...... well, because.... that would just be too GEEKY!

Julle

22 Mar 2011, 22:22

Regarding Topre's current state after the tsunami/earthquake catastrophe, I found this announcement on their Japanese web site a couple of days ago. It was posted on February 15.

Here's a link to the original: http://www.topre.co.jp/news/20110315/info_0315.pdf

Here's a rough translation courtesy of Google translate:
March 15, 2011
Each position
Topre Company Ltd.
Representative: Representative Director Tamaru Itirou
(Code No. 5975 TSE First Section)
(℡ .03-3271-0711)
Notice of northeastern Pacific Ocean affected by earthquake
We generated 11 March 2011, "Northeast Pacific Ocean earthquake" to everyone affected by it in mind
申Shiagemasu visit Rio.
With regard to impact on us at the moment, we are as follows.
Recorded
1. Our situation
(1) the status of human suffering
Currently, our casualties to employees accrue.
(2) the status of our business
Tochigi Plant in Tochigi Prefecture, Kawachi Kaminokawa town, although some defects in production facilities,
We have already recovered by emergency treatment.
Niokimashite also other sites, is not caused serious damage.

2. For Business Performance
Regarding the impact on earnings due to this earthquake is currently unknown Dearimasu, net earnings
If you expect a significant impact, we will promptly disclose.
More

Return to “News”