Good news?Bad New? LG ordered 10 million MX cherry switches

qtan5370

13 Jul 2012, 12:53

I was noticed by factory saying that MX cherry switches is in short supply. Reason is LG placed 10 million MX cherry switches order.

We are expect LG are in to make more MX cherry Switches keyboard but also expecting short suppler for any other keyboard?

If someone can have more information, it will be very helpful.

Soarer

13 Jul 2012, 13:07

Depends... did they order them with diodes? :D

So about 100,000 keyboards, that's quite a few! Does anyone know how many MX keyboards are made each year now? Or how many switches Cherry produces per year?

dorkvader

13 Jul 2012, 16:12

Very interesting! I wonder which type they got. Also, many (Costar) keyboards nowadays don't have the NKRO diode in the switch, but outside it, elsewhere on the PCB. I'm sure this is to save money, so I'd be somewhat surprised if they got the switches with diodes.

mkawa

13 Jul 2012, 16:18

1) for the record, i was right. i guessed from shaker's info that a gigantic company sublet the cherry factory for the next year. yes, i did think it was logitech and not LG, but we'll see who brands what as what.

2) crap. this means we're going to need to switch switches for our DIY designs for a little while. i guess i better email edgar back ;)

woody
Count Troller

13 Jul 2012, 17:27

dorkvader wrote:Also, many (Costar) keyboards nowadays don't have the NKRO diode in the switch, but outside it, elsewhere on the PCB. I'm sure this is to save money, so I'd be somewhat surprised if they got the switches with diodes.
Someone has expressed the opinion that MX with external diode is easier to route.

Lu_e

13 Jul 2012, 20:02

LG sponsors 'Incredible Miracle' StarCraft II team... hm.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Jul 2012, 20:04

If it's LG, they're probably trying to get part of the steelseries/razer market.

DanGWanG

13 Jul 2012, 20:17

My buddy works at LG in Chicago, pretty high up there too. Let me see if I can get some info.

Djuzuh

13 Jul 2012, 22:31

I'd say those are good news.

A big player is always welcome, so we'll see more competition and products. And possibly a wider userbase !

Now I hope that cherry will be able to supply everybody :s.

Merijn

13 Jul 2012, 22:53

I was wondering how many keyboards that would be:
10 000 000 / 104 = 96 153.8462
I have no clue how many keyboards fail during the making, but I guess it will be about 95k keyboards in total?

How's that in comparison to what the "other" keyboard makers make?

IvanIvanovich

14 Jul 2012, 02:09

I heard some rumors that LG planned to release gaming pc with high end parts across the board, bundled with ips 3D screen, top peripherals... maybe it's for that if true. They have released some slick looking stuff for Asian market like Xpion line so I could see it being at least possible.

Acanthophis

14 Jul 2012, 02:14

Any proof/confirmation that it is LG?

DanGWanG

14 Jul 2012, 02:15

lysol wrote:I heard some rumors that LG planned to release gaming pc with high end parts across the board, bundled with ips 3D screen, top peripherals... maybe it's for that if true. They have released some slick looking stuff for Asian market like Xpion line so I could see it being at least possible.
LG definitely seems to have some plans to get into the worldwide computer gaming arena. Like you said Lysol, they already have some sweet computer stuff in Korea so its likely they are testing world markets by releasing peripherals first.

qtan5370

14 Jul 2012, 03:27

When I said LG I was talking about logitech, No the LG in Korea.

It will course short supply in MX switches of course. I hope Cherry can catch up but their product line is some how limited.

rainb1ood

14 Jul 2012, 03:45

Logitech? Then it is obvious.

thegunner100

14 Jul 2012, 03:48

Ahh, logitech makes a lot more sense then. It's about time they got into the mechanical keyboard market, hopefully they can come up with something that doesn't look terrible.

The_Beast

14 Jul 2012, 04:23

Is it good or bad that Logitech is bringing mechanical switches to the masses?

MagicMeatball

14 Jul 2012, 04:24

The_Beast wrote:Is it good or bad that Logitech is bringing mechanical switches to the masses?
Depends on build quality, really. If for the masses, and not targeted to a specific niche market 'gamers', you can expect run-of-the-mill garbage.

DanGWanG

14 Jul 2012, 04:27

Well what I'm hoping to at least see is a programmable mechanical keyboard with macro hotkeys similar to their G-series gaming keyboards.

didja

14 Jul 2012, 04:52

Next they'll be buying 1Million ClickClacks to go along with them.

It could be to supply a decade of refrigerator door light switches or something similar. But pretty likely it's for keyboards.

The_Beast

14 Jul 2012, 05:24

didja wrote:Next they'll be buying 1Million ClickClacks to go along with them.
I WOULD LAUGH FOR DAYS IF THAT HAPPENED :lol:

mickd

14 Jul 2012, 05:27

If they decided to put a CC on every refrigerator you bought, it'll still be cheaper than the current market values!

gimpster

14 Jul 2012, 05:58

didja wrote:1Million ClickClacks

aggiejy

14 Jul 2012, 07:08

MagicMeatball wrote:Depends on build quality, really. If for the masses, and not targeted to a specific niche market 'gamers', you can expect run-of-the-mill garbage.
More cheap "parts" for us!

mkawa

14 Jul 2012, 07:41

hah, knew it was logitech!

aggiejy

14 Jul 2012, 07:46

mkawa wrote:hah, knew it was logitech!
Nice prediction!

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2012, 12:22

Would be about time for Logitech. There have been predictions of them entering the mechanical keyboard markets and requests on their forums since 2010, but they're late to the party. For Logitech this amount of switches still translates to a relative small amount of keyboards, so I guess they will be testing the waters with one or two high end keyboards.

mintberryminuscrunch

14 Jul 2012, 12:25

they probably fuck up and make another ridiculous gaming board,
don't expect anything with taste or usefulness...
just look at their track record:
http://www.google.de/search?q=logitech+ ... e&tbm=isch

kaiserreich

14 Jul 2012, 19:01

This place will have more traffic when those logitechs launch. :D

mintberryminuscrunch

14 Jul 2012, 19:04

kaiserreich wrote:This place will have more traffic when those logitechs launch. :D
looking for replacements?

Return to “News”