Kinesis Advantage LF special model with Cherry MX Red switch

sordna

24 May 2011, 19:14

Kinesis Ergo, well known for the contoured, freestyle, and other keyboards, now has a special version of the contoured, the "Advantage LF" (linear feel) available for order.
This keyboard uses the MX1A-L1DW (red stem) cherry switches, which are smoother and lighter than the standard brown (tactile) switches, since they use the same spring without the friction of the tactile "bump".

Pricing of the Advantage LF is $325. It is not available on the website, you would need to contact sales@kinesis-ergo.com directly about this model. Part number is KB500USB-blk-LF.

Existing owners can upgrade their Kinesis Advantage, Classic, Pro, etc keyboards by retrofitting the new key wells with the red switches. Kinesis sells them for $90 a pair. Keycaps are not included so you would need to use a keycap puller to transfer your existing keycaps to the new switches.
For these parts you need to contact tech@kinesis-ergo.com and provide your serial number, so they include the correct ribbon cable and whatnot for your particular keyboard.

Included in the box extra keycaps for apple/windows/standard alt (since the keyboard is configurable) a nice keycap puller, and a pair of adhesive palm pads.

I got the keyboard last Friday, and it's a amazing to type on. I've been using these keyboards since 2004, but for me the new switch makes this keyboard really shine. It's so effortless to type now! The new linear switches are complemented perfectly by the existing configurable audible click sound of these keyboards, to provide feedback when the key press registers.
Attachments
Keyboard unboxed and switches revealed
Keyboard unboxed and switches revealed
advantage_LF.jpg (649.27 KiB) Viewed 22337 times
New label with the "LF" (linear feel) designation
New label with the "LF" (linear feel) designation
lf.jpg (278.45 KiB) Viewed 22337 times

itlnstln

24 May 2011, 20:52

Over 3 bills for a keyboard and they use pad-printing with decal? For shame.

ripster

24 May 2011, 21:30

Could be worse. Could be lasered Noppoo or Ducky keys.

These will at least last a long time without staining worse than Lindsay Lohan's reputation.

itlnstln

24 May 2011, 21:52

Staining? I'd take either of those alternatives over the Kinesis caps. The Noppoos are thick... like my women.

ripster

24 May 2011, 22:42

I'm sure I posted something about nickels in this thread.

webwit
Wild Duck

24 May 2011, 22:54

Sounds off-topic. I suggest the mods start moving these to your nickel topic.

sordna

25 May 2011, 04:51

itlnstln wrote:Over 3 bills for a keyboard and they use pad-printing with decal? For shame.
My first Kinesis, used heavily for 7 years has the decals intact. This keyboard is fantastic.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

26 May 2011, 14:07

Decals + Pad Printing is relatively durable, if not hella ugly. Would be nice to see some double shots, but there's probably not enough demand for those boards relative to the costs of getting non-standard double shot keys made for them.

Jim66

30 May 2011, 16:43

I'm currently using a regular advantage at the moment; I love it!

Everyone owes it to themselves to spend some time with this layout, it makes so much sense.

sordna

01 Jun 2011, 09:14

Yes. You can pretty much walk into a dark room, sit on the chair, put your hands on the keyboard, and start typing without errors. All of the above without taking even a peek at the keys. The other day I put my older 2 contoured keyboards in a tented (almost vertical position) with some duct tape as an experiment and could touch type right away at my regular WPM! I wanted to try what a vertical keyboard is like. This wouldn't be possible with the usual vertical keyboards like the SafeType or the Comfort Keyboard System which insist on having the senseless zig-zag staggered key arrangement.

sordna

02 Jun 2011, 05:59

this is my Kinesis Advantage LF ... spiced up a little bit
Attachments
checker5.jpg
checker5.jpg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 22132 times

Input Nirvana

02 Jun 2011, 10:20

Kinesis Contoureds originally had double shot keycaps. They were white (blue home row) only, no black. Models 100, 110, 120, and I got a couple Professionals with double shots as well. They switched to the current keycaps to reduce the cost around the time of model 130, rebranded the keyboards as Essential, Classic, Professional and later the usb Advantage and Advantage Pro. I'll admit, I thought the double shots were going to be really different and great after what I've heard...but I'm not even sure I can tell any difference. The ones I have are QWERTY with additional DVORAK legends.

Cherry reds use same spring as browns, just no tactile "bump"? Thanks for that info :)

Angling the Advantage halves is the best typing experience I've had. Glad I cut the keyboard in half.

sordna

02 Jun 2011, 16:20

Interesting, I didn't know they had double shots! When is the last year they did that? My first Kinesis keyboard, the Classic, which I got around 2004, has dual legends, but the QWERTY legeds are pad decals, and the Dvorak ones seem to be printed. Where does the ergo Elan keyboard fit in the history? I think that model name also existed in the lineup.

Input Nirvana

03 Jun 2011, 08:40

My double shots are the QWERTY legends, the DVORAK legends are added to the double shot key caps, but are not double shotted themselves.

The Elan is an older vintage, maybe has double shots. My Professional came with double shots, but I think that's because it has the DVORAK legends with the QWERTY, which probably doesn't move too fast off the shelf.

Jim66

04 Jun 2011, 21:05

The ONLY things that spoils the Kinesis for me are those damn rubber F buttons. If Kinesis were to get rid of those they would have the perfect keyboard IMO (I don't like the plastic Maltron use).

Input Nirvana

04 Jun 2011, 21:27

18 rubber F keys are not the strong point, that's for sure. I understand why they did it though.

I replaced the 18 rubbers with 12 mech switches for F keys. The other 6 are placed elsewhere in convenient locations, but not completed. Verdict: much improved

sordna

05 Jun 2011, 00:37

Yes, the F keys are rather bad. I don't really need any key from the top row except the Escape,
which I remapped to the "End" thumbkey anyway.
But what you can do, is remap the regular number keys to behave
as the function keys when the keypad layer is activated (ideally with a footswitch).
Then you can actually touch type function keys.

You can do all sorts of stuff with the 2nd logical layer the keyboard provides.
Last edited by sordna on 06 Jun 2011, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

Input Nirvana

05 Jun 2011, 03:24

Ditto that. The "keyboard" button is effectively a locking "Fn" button. A very cool feature they wisely included. I would like a non-locking Fn button at a thumb location as well. Was working on that while also making the new mechanical F row keys into media keys. I'm making the "program" button flush with the surface of the case, for obvious reasons.

sordna

05 Jun 2011, 08:54

One of the wires on the RJ connector for the footswitch has non-locking "2nd layer" function.
You can easily hook it up to any kind of push button that you can place in the thumb area. I'm sure you know this of course, in fact you have me a good idea for a reversible mod (not planning to use hacksaws and drills on my dear LF yet). Are you aware of any decent switches/buttons that I could stick on the surface of the keyboard and run wires to the RJ footswitch connector ? Basically to end up with a single or double or triple "thumbswitch" (as opposed to a footswitch).

Input Nirvana

05 Jun 2011, 20:35

Not to certain of switches that would be appropriate other than cherry switches. Some thought needs to be put into that.

A couple thoughts...
-A splitter from the keyboard RJ, to the footswitch AND a thumbswitch/key (whatever).
-If someone will never use a footswitch, remove the RJ and mod from the pcb into switches on the board.
-Come on...hacksaws and drills are SO MUCH FUN!

Input Nirvana

06 Jun 2011, 07:25

A new thought on this...

A key switch that allows a light touch for 'temporary" (Fn) and a firm press for "hold" (keypad on Kinesis), yet still be a regulatr keycap for touch typing purposes. Almost like a modified Cherry Blue before and after the actuation...

I would put that key switch in the extreme lower left hand keywell, where there is a space for another key.

Any ideas?

kps

06 Jun 2011, 17:01

input nirvana wrote:A key switch that allows a light touch for 'temporary" (Fn) and a firm press for "hold" (keypad on Kinesis), yet still be a regulatr keycap for touch typing purposes.
Sounds like this IBM beam spring.

sordna

26 Jun 2011, 06:27

Just wondering, has anyone else here bought the Kinesis Advantage LF keyboard ?

Jim66

26 Jun 2011, 13:22

sordna wrote:Just wondering, has anyone else here bought the Kinesis Advantage LF keyboard ?
I think many, including myself reaaaalllyy wanted it but couldn't afford :(

sordna

13 Jun 2012, 16:50

The Advantage LF is now listed on the Kinesis website and online store as a regular model.
No more need to email / special order!

http://kinesis-ergo.com/contoured.htm

pyro

19 Jul 2012, 19:54

Wait, are these PCB-mounted? Shouldn't it then be possible to mod the brown version to reds?

fossala
Elite +1

19 Jul 2012, 19:58

pyro wrote:Wait, are these PCB-mounted? Shouldn't it then be possible to mod the brown version to reds?
Only the thumb clusters are.

Return to “News”