HHKB Professional Type-S

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Jun 2011, 15:52

lal

16 Jun 2011, 16:23

Maybe it's obvious for HHKB users*, but what exactly is new on this model?

* and for Japanese reading users

sixty
Gasbag Guru

16 Jun 2011, 16:28

They are the "lower noise" models. Same Low-Noise line Topre switch that was used in the Realforce low-noise models earlier last year. Basically its still the same key feel but with a slightly muffled landing. This is done by adding a foam ring to the switch mechanism. Not a fan of the low-noise line. One of the few things I liked about Topre was the very characteristic sound.

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Jun 2011, 16:30

The shafts of the Topre switches have been fitted with little sound dampening rings.

Sounds like a Japanese home market thing. Where Topres are used in banks, offices, and tight living quarters. Me, I like the sound of my HHKB. I dislike the extra print on the case, it's ugly. One should be careful when adding things to a minimalistic design. It didn't work here.

lal

16 Jun 2011, 16:36

I see, thanks for the explanation. I've been away from keyboard nuts meeting places for some time.

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Jun 2011, 16:42

How could you?!

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Jun 2011, 17:58

A HHKKB-3 should be like this.
hhkb3.jpg
hhkb3.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Then with the dip switches you can assign the new keys to what you want. For example two Control keys on the side, and the original Control to Backspace.

incubated

17 Jun 2011, 00:56

these are damn nice. i need to get a little more baller to get one of these. i'm really liking the JP model. more buttons same size.

Crazy9000

17 Jun 2011, 13:29

I don't really understand the need for silencers, Topre's aren't very loud as it is. People must be buying them up if they've leaked down into the HHKB line though.

ripster

17 Jun 2011, 18:22

Anybody know the history of this "300,000 HHKBs sold"?

Seems like they keep saying that year after year?

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Jun 2011, 18:34

I thought when I bought my HHKB in 2008 it also said 300.000 HHKBs sold. Actually there was an event, so I checked it: it says 200.000 units in 2008.

http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/20_campaign/

Google translate still incorrectly translates it to 20 million.

ripster

18 Jun 2011, 04:02

Still seems high. Elitekeyboards I doubt moves THAT many and they certainly aren't cheap in Japan.

Plus they say 2K units for the silent version which does sound about right.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

18 Jun 2011, 11:17

Crazy9000 wrote:I don't really understand the need for silencers, Topre's aren't very loud as it is. People must be buying them up if they've leaked down into the HHKB line though.
Topres are largely intended for the professional market. It is quite conceivable that in large Japanese offices, that lots of Topres will make too much noise, thus prompting Topre to make something more quiet for their customers (apparently the all-55g Topres were the result of a request from a Korean bank). HHKB probably has them for the lulz tbh.

ripster

18 Jun 2011, 16:07

Let's say the 2K order goes to their largest Bank Customer.

Who did they sell the 298K to? HHKB Lites? If so you would think Yahoo JP and Ebay USA would be flooded with them.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

19 Jun 2011, 11:32

I'd doubt that businesses would want a HHKB.

Given the price and how relatively new they are, I doubt people would be selling that many. I got mine from eBay though :D

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jun 2011, 18:38

You can probably find out by reading Fujitsu's financial reports.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jun 2011, 18:48

ripster wrote:Still seems high. Elitekeyboards I doubt moves THAT many and they certainly aren't cheap in Japan.

In 2008 almost no one outside of Asia had one, it's still probably just a tiny part of their total sales. So they sell aprox. 33k units per year. You've got the banks and other businesses, as proven by the various special keycap sets people have posted about. If their contracts are big this can account for thousands. Special keycaps suggest large numbers. There's the Lite version which might be very popular. Then there's all the availability in Asia. There are lots of online shops which sell the HHKB, in Korea, Japan, China, and lots of brick and mortal shops as well. Various photos of nutty keyboard shops with HHKBs. Many of them will have stock. The math can work out. If those shops stock on the silent version, 2k is nothing.

ripster

19 Jun 2011, 19:03

33K a year? Still sounds high.

Are there that many Unix Beards?

Crazy9000

19 Jun 2011, 20:38

daedalus wrote:
Crazy9000 wrote:I don't really understand the need for silencers, Topre's aren't very loud as it is. People must be buying them up if they've leaked down into the HHKB line though.
Topres are largely intended for the professional market. It is quite conceivable that in large Japanese offices, that lots of Topres will make too much noise, thus prompting Topre to make something more quiet for their customers (apparently the all-55g Topres were the result of a request from a Korean bank). HHKB probably has them for the lulz tbh.
Yeah that makes sense.

rouston

20 Jun 2011, 10:21

is a HHKB3 really scheduled? (not speaking about this silence version)

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Jun 2011, 12:42

Not that I know of.

lowpoly

20 Jun 2011, 22:43

ripster wrote:Still seems high. Elitekeyboards I doubt moves THAT many and they certainly aren't cheap in Japan.

Judging from the guru-board.com logs, Japan is a huge market. More than 50% of the visits are from Japan. USA on second place with Japan:USA = 3:1. Germany on 3rd with Japan:Germany = 10:1.

ripster

21 Jun 2011, 01:27

Well, that's true. And in the Japan Gizmodo poll (hardly scientific but whatever) the Topres were Ichiban.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?8947 ... post159905

Still, I find it odd that Elitekeyboards doesn't seem to sell out that often. Makes me wonder how many are sold in the USA at $275 and essentially the same price in Japan.

Crazy9000

21 Jun 2011, 01:48

They might normally order a new batch before they sell out of the old one.

chongyixiong

21 Jun 2011, 09:25

Taken from PcWaishe CN

Well, we know who bought about ~60 for this month.

Heh heh

Return to “News”