Pok3r, fully programmable 60%

prava

13 Nov 2014, 17:55

So, they plan to use the same case they have been selling for some time. Interesting...

Not that I'm interested though, since I already have a Poker X, with that case... but at least the chosen font doesn't suck as much as the one used in the II.

But... I don't like the plate at all. Well, can't say is the plate that makes it different, because I don't have another 60% with plate mounted switches to compare it to... but I do know that the poker with pcb mounted mx red switches and DSA pbt keycaps feels miles ahead better than the filco with the same switches and keycaps.

Well... I'm also the guy who prefers SP to Cherry thick DS keycaps, sooooooooooooooooo xddddd

ShivaYash

13 Nov 2014, 18:02

The Poker II IS STILL great and easily fits the HHKB layout via KARABINER and some nifty XML settings. I use this set up as my travel board and while its not perfect, it mimics the HHKB enough to keep me happy. It gives the Poker II the same cursor set up.

Hypersphere

13 Nov 2014, 18:13

Regarding the Matias 60%, I give him credit for daring to be different in order to put across a certain goal, which was to produce a 60% form factor keyboard that preserved a standard configuration of alphanumeric keys while providing dedicated arrow keys in a standard inverted-T configuration.

The Matias 60 also has the advantage of offering a number of switch options, including of course the Matias tactile/click or Matias quiet switches in addition to standard Cherry switches.

Having said this, I do not particularly like the result. I would have liked to have seen a HHKB Pro 2 layout but with Matias switches, but this would not have offered others who might not prefer the HHKB layout something different that might actually turn out to be workable if given a chance.

One thing I like is that the PC version has a Del key to the right of Right Shift that could be remapped as a Fn key. Unfortunately, I think that the existing Fn key is hardwired as such, so that for me this key would end up being a useless waste of space.

I do worry that there could be functional issues with the bottom row. For example, I wonder how well these keys will respond to off-center key presses?

My own preferences for a 60% keyboard are met just about perfectly by the HHKB Pro 2. Therefore, although I am considering the Matias 60, I will probably pass on this opportunity.

Regarding other notable 60% keyboards, I tried to make the Poker II work for me, but although I could remap it to something close to the HHKB layout, it was not quite there. Moreover, I don't like any Cherry mx switch nearly as well as Topre. Here again, the HHKB wins the day for me in the 60% category.

Probably the only 60% that would displace the HHKB for me would be the IBM Model F "Kishsaver".

Hypersphere

30 Dec 2014, 01:04

ShivaYash wrote: The Poker II IS STILL great and easily fits the HHKB layout via KARABINER and some nifty XML settings. I use this set up as my travel board and while its not perfect, it mimics the HHKB enough to keep me happy. It gives the Poker II the same cursor set up.
Would you mind sharing your XML file for remapping the Poker II to a HHKB layout? Do you end up with the Poker II Fn and Pn keys as dead keys?

I have recently acquired a KBP V60MTS-C keyboard, and I have used Karabiner to remap it to something very close to a Mac/HHKB layout. Fortunately, the V60 has a DIP switch setting for swapping Fn and Menu, which can then be remapped with Karabiner -- the result is no dead keys. I also like the Matias switches better than any Cherry mx switch.

ShivaYash

30 Dec 2014, 04:52

Hypersphere wrote:
ShivaYash wrote: The Poker II IS STILL great and easily fits the HHKB layout via KARABINER and some nifty XML settings. I use this set up as my travel board and while its not perfect, it mimics the HHKB enough to keep me happy. It gives the Poker II the same cursor set up.
Would you mind sharing your XML file for remapping the Poker II to a HHKB layout? Do you end up with the Poker II Fn and Pn keys as dead keys?

I have recently acquired a KBP V60MTS-C keyboard, and I have used Karabiner to remap it to something very close to a Mac/HHKB layout. Fortunately, the V60 has a DIP switch setting for swapping Fn and Menu, which can then be remapped with Karabiner -- the result is no dead keys. I also like the Matias switches better than any Cherry mx switch.
Will do. Shall I email it to you? If so, please message me your address.

Hypersphere

30 Dec 2014, 15:13

ShivaYash wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:

It also might be of interest to others in the forum, but if you prefer to send it just to me, I will send you my email address. I will also send you my Karabiner XML file along with the settings I use for the Poker II.

ShivaYash

30 Dec 2014, 15:26

Ah yes, I'll do that.

the1onewolf

01 Jan 2015, 03:48

Oh wow I did not see this until now.
Glad I did not jump on the poker 2 on massdrop :P

Hypersphere

01 Jan 2015, 23:05

I have been vacillating over the Poker II. Not long ago, I sold my Poker II with mx blues. More recently, I had a change of heart and bought another one (with mx browns) from qtan. It's no HHKB Pro 2, and I don't like it as well as my KBP V60 Matias-switch boards, but it still has its merits -- especially being a 60% with a standard layout, thus serving as a nice platform for Cherry-compatible keycap sets. I've used Karabiner to remap it to a reasonable facsimile of a Mac/HHKB layout, and discovered that I can still use the original Fn key as a second Fn if I ever wanted to use the Poker II functions. I think that this keyboard will still be popular even after the Poker 3 is introduced; it depends to some degree on how much better the Poker 3 turns out to be.

rsadek

20 Mar 2015, 07:18

Hypersphere wrote:
ShivaYash wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: Would you mind sharing your XML file for remapping the Poker II to a HHKB layout? Do you end up with the Poker II Fn and Pn keys as dead keys?

It also might be of interest to others in the forum, but if you prefer to send it just to me, I will send you my email address. I will also send you my Karabiner XML file along with the settings I use for the Poker II.

I'd love to see both these Karabiner files. Been trying to setup my v60 with Karabiner, but is causing trouble. Having some examples would help since the docs are not so clear. Could you link them here or PM me?

Vax

23 Mar 2015, 09:10

ISO lovers unite!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69443.0;topicseen
Confirmed spec that I can announce:

Black metal case*
PBT Key caps
DE/Nordic/UK Layout - Other layouts to follow in second run (ES, FR and others TBC)
Cherry MX Red/Blue/Clear/Brown**

*White to follow in next production run
**UK will have all four varieties, DE and NOR will not have MX Blue variant.

The cost will be around €109 although, as an authorised reseller I can offer pre-order discount, which will open up in two weeks time and will be about €10-€20.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Mar 2015, 09:33

hmm sounds promising, I never could get "warm" with the Poker 2 but I might considder this.
DE and NOR will not have MX Blue variant.
Aha?

scottc

23 Mar 2015, 10:15

seebart wrote:
Aha?
Surely you'll be changing the caps anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem ;)

Findecanor

23 Mar 2015, 10:41

QWER's group buy-Pok3r will probably not be as good as in the first post. There was this update last Wednesday:
  • RRP is now looking to be €119 due to weaking €. (unconfirmed)
  • No LED option at first, nor will the PCB be compatible (confirmed)
  • Black metal case (confirmed), white in next batch (confirmed)
  • PBT key caps with laser legends (confirmed)
  • UK, DE, NOR layout in first batch (confirmed)
  • Red, Blue, Brown and Clear Cherry MX switches - blue not available in DE or NOR layout (confirmed)
  • 3 Programmable layers (confirmed)

Vax

24 Mar 2015, 11:23

First review boards are being send out apparently.

CorusKB

24 Mar 2015, 12:45

scottc wrote:
seebart wrote:
Aha?
Surely you'll be changing the caps anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem ;)
DE is the main layout of the batch
Mx-Blue : DE - UK
Mx-Brown, Mx-Clear, Mx-Red : DE - UK - NOR
Spoiler:
MX-Blue w/PBT keycap,UK layout
Black color, metal casing
MX-Brown w/PBT keycap,DE layout
MX-Red w/PBT keycap,DE layout
MX-Blue w/PBT keycap,DE layout
MX-Brown w/PBT keycap,NO layout
MX-Brown w/PBT keycap,UK layout
MX-Red w/PBT keycap,NO layout
MX-Red w/PBT keycap,UK layout
MX-Clear w/PBT keycap,DE layout
MX-Clear w/PBT keycap,NO layout
MX-Clear w/PBT keycap,UK layout

kekstee

25 Mar 2015, 18:37

Mh, without LEDs I don't really see the point in moving from my Poker X. Although I would like to free Alt_Gr of its Fn use...

bhtooefr

25 Mar 2015, 19:41

Honestly, regarding the Matias 60% bottom row... I would've said to use something like the ThinkPad solution (that many business laptops nowadays have adopted) - .75 U tall arrows, but 1 U tall for the rest of the bottom row. It's asymmetrical, but that also gives room for pointing stick buttons.

zeeko

05 Apr 2015, 04:15

Is it already release in us-ANSI? (Although I am German, I prefer ANSI because of the longer shift and enter and better key cap compatibility)
That thread is for ISO https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69443.0

Cherry1990

29 Apr 2015, 01:15

One thing is not clear to me: can I have the second (or third etc.) layer at the same time of the first one?
I mean, can I simulate the EurKEY software by hardware? Or I only choose between four layouts and keep them until I change them?
My problem is to have the European accented chars under and ANSI layout...

zeeko

29 Apr 2015, 01:52

There is a simple solution.
Choose "USA International" as your keyboard layout.
It has the accented chars.
ä can be achieved through rightAlt+q or "+a
ü can be achieved through rightAlt+y or "+u
ö can be achieved through rightAlt+p or "+o
ß can be achieved through rightAlt+s

Those are for German.

There are others too, like í can be achieved through rightAlt+i or '+i
The following are available when pressing rightAlt+[~somekey~]
¡²³¤€¼½¾‘’¥×
äåé®þüúíóö«»¬áßðø¶´æ©ñµç¿

bhtooefr

29 Apr 2015, 16:27

US International sucks for actual use, though.

I use United States-Macintosh on my Windows machines, which copies the mapping of the Option key under Mac OS US layouts, and puts it under AltGr (right Alt).

Cherry1990

01 May 2015, 01:23

OK, thank you for the useful informations.

So, why should I buy the Pok3r? Frankly I do not understand what can be the reason to buy this keyboard instead another one with the same size. I am not controversial, just ignorant... :(

caligo

01 May 2015, 17:19

Cherry1990 wrote:OK, thank you for the useful informations.

So, why should I buy the Pok3r? Frankly I do not understand what can be the reason to buy this keyboard instead another one with the same size. I am not controversial, just ignorant... :(
Well, there are not that many 60% keyboards with a standard key layout out there. Other than the Poker 3, the only ones I can think of are the GH60 and the Ducky Mini. The former you can build yourself and save a few bucks, the latter has fancy backlighting but is not as customizable. If you're not into soldering or backlighting, the Poker 3 is the obvious choice of the three in my opinion – seeing as you get a metal case while the price remains roughly the same as for the Poker 2, it's a fairly good deal.

Cherry1990

03 May 2015, 20:38

@caligo: Thank! You are correct.
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:60%25_keyboards
I thought they were more numerous... :|

zts

13 May 2015, 04:14

Pics:

Packaging -- pretty much a standard, average ... a class down from the TEX Beetle packaging, but sufficient or on par with similar 60 products
pok3r_1.jpeg
pok3r_1.jpeg (444.94 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
pok3r_2.jpeg
pok3r_2.jpeg (183.49 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
Great size, layers, mini USB, metal housing, (fairly thick) PBT keys ...
pok3r_3.jpeg
pok3r_3.jpeg (274.92 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
pok3r_4.jpeg
pok3r_4.jpeg (275.33 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
pok3r_5.jpeg
pok3r_5.jpeg (379.97 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
Back label, Enjoy your feeling, DIP switches ..
pok3r_6.jpeg
pok3r_6.jpeg (501.28 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
no clones ... sticking with Cherry MX (browns in pics)
pok3r_7.jpeg
pok3r_7.jpeg (396.02 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
pok3r_8.jpeg
pok3r_8.jpeg (302.07 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
pok3r_9.jpeg
pok3r_9.jpeg (387.66 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
Note: although they can appear as black in pics, the keycaps are dark gray PBTs

Hypersphere

21 May 2015, 16:44

I'd love to see both these Karabiner files. Been trying to setup my v60 with Karabiner, but is causing trouble. Having some examples would help since the docs are not so clear. Could you link them here or PM me?
Here is my private XML file for Karabiner:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
</root>

<item>
    <name>Change Delete to Backslash (\)</name>
    <identifier>private.delete_to_backslash</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DELETE, KeyCode::BACKSLASH</autogen> 
  </item>

<!--
  <item>
    <name>Change Backslash to Delete (\)</name>
    <identifier>private.backslash_to_delete</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BACKSLASH, KeyCode::DELETE</autogen> 
  </item>
  -->
   <item>
    <name>Change Bracket_Right (]) to Delete</name>
    <identifier>private.bracket_right_to_delete</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BRACKET_RIGHT, KeyCode::DELETE</autogen> 
  </item> 

<item>
    <name>Change Return to Bracket_Right (])</name>
    <identifier>private.return_to_bracket_right</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::RETURN, KeyCode::BRACKET_RIGHT</autogen> 
  </item> 

<item>
    <name>Change Backquote (`) to Return</name>
    <identifier>private.backquote_to_return</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BACKQUOTE, KeyCode::RETURN</autogen> 
  </item>

<item>
    <name>Change Backslash (\) to Fn</name>
    <identifier>private.backslash_to_fn</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BACKSLASH, KeyCode::FN</autogen> 
  </item> 

<item>
    <name>Change Keypad_Multiply (*) to Fn</name>
    <identifier>private.keypadmultiply_to_fn</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEYPAD_MULTIPLY, KeyCode::FN</autogen> 
  </item> 

<item>
    <name>Change Fn + Backslash to Backquote (`)</name>
    <identifier>private.fn_backslash_to_backquote</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BACKSLASH, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::BACKQUOTE</autogen>
  </item>

<item>
    <name>Change Fn + Escape to Backquote (`)</name>
    <identifier>private.fn_escape_to_backquote</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::ESCAPE, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::BACKQUOTE</autogen>
  </item>

<item>
    <name>Change KEYPAD_DOT to CONTROL_R</name>
    <identifier>private.keypad_dot_to_control_r</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEYPAD_DOT, KeyCode::CONTROL_R</autogen> 
  </item>

<item>
    <name>Change KEYPAD_0 to OPTION_R</name>
    <identifier>private.keypad_0_to_option_r</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEYPAD_0, KeyCode::OPTION_R</autogen> 
  </item>

<item>
    <name>Change F9 to CONTROL_L</name>
    <identifier>private.f9_to_control_l</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F9, KeyCode::CONTROL_L</autogen> 
  </item> 

<item>
    <name>Change F10 to OPTION_L</name>
    <identifier>private.f10_to_option_l</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F10, KeyCode::OPTION_L</autogen> 
  </item> 

<item>
    <name>Change PC_SCROLLLOCK to POWER</name>
<identifier>private.pc_scrolllock_to_vk_iohidpostevent_nx_power_key</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::PC_SCROLLLOCK, KeyCode::VK_IOHIDPOSTEVENT_NX_POWER_KEY</autogen> 
  </item>

<item>
    <name>Change Fn + BRACKET_LEFT ([) to BRACKET_RIGHT (])</name>
    <identifier>private.fn_bracket_left_to_bracket_right</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BRACKET_LEFT, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::BRACKET_RIGHT</autogen>
  </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+Tab to CapsLock</name>
      <identifier>private.fn_tab_to_capslock</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::TAB, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::CAPSLOCK</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
    <name>Change PC_APPLICATION to CONTROL_R</name>
    <identifier>private.pc_application_to_control_r</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::PC_APPLICATION, KeyCode::CONTROL_R</autogen> 
  </item> 

<item>
    <name>Change Delete to Bracket_Right</name>
    <identifier>private.delete_to_bracket_right</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DELETE, KeyCode::BRACKET_RIGHT</autogen> 
  </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+A to Volume_Down</name>
      <identifier>private.fn_a_to_volume_down</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::A, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::VK_CONSUMERKEY_VOLUME_DOWN</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+S to Volume_Up</name>
      <identifier>private.fn_s_to_volume_up</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::S, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::VK_CONSUMERKEY_VOLUME_UP</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+D to Volume_Mute</name>
      <identifier>private.fn_d_to_volume_mute</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::D, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::VK_CONSUMERKEY_VOLUME_MUTE</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+F to Eject</name>
      <identifier>private.fn_f_to_eject</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::VK_CONSUMERKEY_EJECT</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+N to INSERT</name>
      <identifier>private.fn_n_to_pc_insert</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::N, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::PC_INSERT</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+I to PC_PRINTSCREEN </name>
      <identifier>private.fn_i_to_pc_printscreen</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::I, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::PC_PRINTSCREEN</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+O to PC_SCROLLLOCK </name>
      <identifier>private.fn_o_to_pc_scrolllock</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::O, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::PC_SCROLLLOCK</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+P to PC_PAUSE </name>
      <identifier>private.fn_p_to_pc_pause</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::P, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::PC_PAUSE</autogen>
    </item>

<!--
    <item>
    <name>Swap backslash and delete key.</name>
    <appendix>+ Change fn-backslash to backquote.</appendix>

<autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BACKSLASH, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::BACKQUOTE</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DELETE,    KeyCode::BACKSLASH</autogen>
  </item>

-->

<item>
    <name>Swap backslash and delete key.</name>
    <appendix>+ Change fn-delete to backquote.</appendix>

<autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DELETE, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::BACKQUOTE</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DELETE,    KeyCode::BACKSLASH</autogen>
  </item>

<item>
      <name>Fn+Delete to Forward_Delete</name>
      <identifier>private.fn_delete_to_forward_delete</identifier>
      <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DELETE, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::FORWARD_DELETE</autogen>
    </item>

<item>
    <name>Change Fn + Delete to Bracket Right </name>
    <identifier>private.fn_delete_to_bracket_right</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DELETE, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::BRACKET_RIGHT</autogen>
  </item>
And here are the settings I use for HHKB emulation on my V60:
Karab-V60.png
Karab-V60.png (110.64 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
Here are the settings I use for HHKB emulation on my Poker-II:
Karab-PolkerII.png
Karab-PolkerII.png (101.25 KiB) Viewed 7367 times

Muirium
µ

21 May 2015, 17:08

Pro tip for taking screenshots on OS X: press Shift+Command+4 as usual, but then press space. That turns the mouse pointer into a camera icon and you can simply click on a window to get a nicely framed screencap of it automatically. Like this:

They include a transparent background which makes them ideal for posting straight on DT.

Hypersphere

21 May 2015, 17:20

Wow! Thanks for the great tip, Mu! This will save me the bother of holding my scanner up to the screen! ;)

chzel

21 May 2015, 17:45

Hypersphere wrote: Wow! Thanks for the great tip, Mu! This will save me the bother of holding my scanner up to the screen! ;)
Pfff...Apple fan boys...
In Windows we just snap a pic of the screen with the camera and crop accordingly...

Return to “News”