Matias Ergo Pro Keyboard @ ErgoExpo 2014

Matias

17 Dec 2014, 22:33

Okay, I've covered this before but it bears repeating here...

While the keyboard is not programmable, it does offer some features that allow what programmability is often requested for -- namely DIP switches for a few specific key remappings:
  • Swapping Ctrl and Caps Lock
  • Remapping the Left Spacebar to Backspace
  • Remapping the Right Spacebar to Backspace
  • Set layout to PC or Mac
These all came as a result of a forum discussion and some tweets from interested prospective users. I wasn't originally planning to offer these at all.

The ergo segment of the keyboard market is pretty niche and (as prdlm2009 stated) most of those users have little interest in programmability, so we're talking about a subset of a subset of users that's already small.

However, if someone wants to do a programmable version, I'm happy to release the mechanical specs for the PCB and make critical components available (e.g., TRRS sockets, mounting plate, etc.). This would also allow for choice of switch -- adding Clicky switches and the new Quiet Linear switch to the choice of options (not to mention any legacy ALPS switches you may have).

If someone wants to make it happen, I'll help in any way I can.

Muirium
µ

17 Dec 2014, 22:41

Awesome! We have a handful of community written firmwares for this kind of stuff we make ourselves, and installing it in a factory made keyboard is an excellent idea. Your controller is separate from the switch PCB then, right, to make this possible? Modularity really opens the door for us.

Matias

17 Dec 2014, 23:53

Muirium wrote: Awesome! We have a handful of community written firmwares for this kind of stuff we make ourselves, and installing it in a factory made keyboard is an excellent idea.
Great!

Certainly having the case and all the keycaps already done does simplify things a lot.

Muirium wrote: Your controller is separate from the switch PCB then, right, to make this possible? Modularity really opens the door for us.
Normally we do have them on separate PCBs. Unfortunately, due to space limitations and added complexity, we weren't able to this time. Remember, it has a built-in 3-port USB 2.0 hub and we needed to pass FCC and CE testing. Passing FCC/CE was the main driver in this.

In any case, we'll make the necessary components available. This shouldn't stop you.

litster

03 Feb 2015, 20:47

What kind of stems do the switches have? It is not Cherry keycaps compatible, is it? Thanks.

chzel

03 Feb 2015, 20:51

litster wrote: What kind of stems do the switches have? It is not Cherry keycaps compatible, is it? Thanks.
I'd be extremely surprised if the switches aren't Matias own, which are Alps compatible.

Muirium
µ

03 Feb 2015, 23:45

Same here. Matias is all about the switch. Which certainly makes them stand out from all the MX (and clones) out there.

Matias

19 Feb 2015, 22:38

litster wrote:
What kind of stems do the switches have? It is not Cherry keycaps compatible, is it? Thanks.
They are ALPS stems, not Cherry compatible.

BTW, it's not possible to do this keyboard with Cherry switches, because they're too portly to support 0.75u spacing needed for the arrow and nav keys.

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2015, 22:46

Very keen to review this board when you can spare us one! Split ergos are intriguing, especially when they've got good switches for a change!

zts

20 Feb 2015, 07:43

I'm looking forward to the review of the Ergo Pro keyboard. I think my wife can certainly use something like this (and eventually replace her MS Ergonomic keyboard).

Matias

20 Feb 2015, 19:36

Muirium wrote:
Very keen to review this board when you can spare us one! Split ergos are intriguing, especially when they've got good switches for a change!
Yes, we'll provide one to DT as soon as the next production run is done.

Because so many people pre-ordered, we didn't feel comfortable sending out lots of review samples, while paying customers were forced to wait.

In the mean time, here's a Reddit post from one of the first people to get theirs...

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... ni_review/

http://imgur.com/a/xPAJY

Muirium
µ

20 Feb 2015, 19:56

Fair enough. Keep us in mind!

I'm cool to review it and then pass it around for others to get a taste, if you like. We have a tradition of "touring keyboards" here for high end stuff that's not easy for people to try without a big commitment. 002's tours are how I first tried Topre, for instance. I went on to import an HHKB…

http://deskthority.net/try-f29/the-real ... rce%20tour

Matias

20 Feb 2015, 20:00

Muirium wrote: I'm cool to review it and then pass it around for others to get a taste, if you like. We have a tradition of "touring keyboards" here for high end stuff that's not easy for people to try without a big commitment. 002's tours are how I first tried Topre, for instance. I went on to import an HHKB…

http://deskthority.net/try-f29/the-real ... rce%20tour
Wow, that's a really great idea!

Muirium
µ

20 Feb 2015, 20:01

One board goes a really long way, when it literally goes a really long way! 002's touring Realforce is the best thing that happened to Topre in this part of the world.

I'd just give people more than a week (two weeks?) with a split ergo board like this, because it would be many people's first experience with a split design and it takes more getting used to.

zts

20 Feb 2015, 20:16

Does the typing on Ergo Pro feel similar (or hopefully identical) to the mini quiet pro?

Matias

20 Feb 2015, 20:21

Muirium wrote: One board goes a really long way, when it literally goes a really long way! 002's touring Realforce is the best thing that happened to Topre in this part of the world.

I'd just give people more than a week (two weeks?) with a split ergo board like this, because it would be many people's first experience with a split design and it takes more getting used to.
Okay, we'll make it happen... :-)

Matias

20 Feb 2015, 20:22

zts wrote: Does the typing on Ergo Pro feel similar (or hopefully identical) to the mini quiet pro?
Same switches, so yes, it will feel the same.

zts

20 Feb 2015, 20:35

Matias wrote:
zts wrote: Does the typing on Ergo Pro feel similar (or hopefully identical) to the mini quiet pro?
Same switches, so yes, it will feel the same.
That's great! Thanks much.

litster

20 Feb 2015, 20:37

I pre-ordered one from the next batch. As soon as I get mine, I will write a review and post it here. I hope it will be more March and less April... :)

I will be able to take pictures of the new Ergo Pro next to IBM M15, Cherry MX5000, Kinesis, and Microsoft Natural Keyboard. And of course, ErgoDox.

Muirium
µ

20 Feb 2015, 20:43

Now all the ergo hoarding pays off, at last!

litster

20 Feb 2015, 20:51

Muirium wrote: Now all the ergo hoarding pays off, at last!
Yes, finally, a modern split ergonomic keyboard!

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 17:04

Matias has agreed to my European tour idea, and an Ergo Pro will come back with me from America in May. I'll make a thread for signups once I've got hold of it.

In the meantime, Marco Arment (known for his podcasts among other things) has a fairly nice review here:

http://www.marco.org/2015/02/26/matis-ergo-pro-review

litster

27 Feb 2015, 19:27

Thanks for the link to the review. I didn't notice about the Esc key placement. My old habit of hitting Ctrl-Shift-Esc to bring up Windows Start menu will have to change. I also could do without the dedicated Cut/Copy/Paste/Undo keys. Ctrl-Z/X/C/V are plenty perfect.

Matias

01 Mar 2015, 10:13

litster wrote: I didn't notice about the Esc key placement. My old habit of hitting Ctrl-Shift-Esc to bring up Windows Start menu will have to change.
Should be even easier now (with the bigger keys)...

The position & size of the Esc key (and the dead space between Caps Lock and A) are to accommodate the change in relative key positions that happens with greater separation distances / angles. As your opening angle increases, you'll find that the old positions are awkward to reach. This is also why the Tab and Tilde keys are wider -- we did a lot of user testing on this.

Muirium
µ

25 Apr 2015, 06:00

Good news: Matias sent me an Ergo Pro (which I'm tentatively typing on now) for review and a European tour. I'll take it to Haata's Kibohd 13 tomorrow, and then on back home to Scotland next week.

eldorange

25 Apr 2015, 13:08

Great! How is the typing experience so far?

Ascaii
The Beard

25 Apr 2015, 13:11

mark me down for the tour, i am very excited to try this board out!

eldorange

25 Apr 2015, 13:14

Muirium, tt would be an excellent review if you compare the Matias Ergo Pro with μTRON and Ergodox. Maybe one or two people there in Cali have these keyboards?
Last edited by eldorange on 25 Apr 2015, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

HzFaq

25 Apr 2015, 13:25

Ascaii wrote: mark me down for the tour, i am very excited to try this board out!
Oooo, me too please!

Return to “News”