Genuine Topre vs. Topre Clone

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

10 Jul 2016, 04:55

Hello guys. It's an overly lengthy review with lots of pictures in poor lighting!

A couple months ago I purchased a Plum 84 35g electrostatic capacitive keyboard frommech greenhand's Aliexpress store. I have been quite pleased by it.

A bit on the reason for purchasing a Plum 84 keyboard. I liked the layout, I am a big fan of ultra lightweight tactile switches, and I wanted to try a Topre clone keyboard. With the combination of the layout and lightweight switches, I decided to purchase a Plum 84.

But after using the Plum 84 for a couple months, my curiosity grew to compare the keyboard to a genuine Topre keyboard. So I purchased a used Realforce 86U for that purpose. I also wanted to try out 30g Topre switches, as I am considering a uniform 30g Realforce keyboard.

Plum 84 35g (photo courtesy of mech greenhand)
plum84.jpg
plum84.jpg (60.55 KiB) Viewed 24482 times
VS.

Realforce 86U variable force (photo courtesy of seebart)
realforce86.JPG
realforce86.JPG (952.41 KiB) Viewed 24482 times

First Impressions
Spoiler:

Plum 84:
Not bad for $100. This is not a premium product, but certainly has some worthwhile features. More than I expected.

Realforce 86U:
Okay, now I fully understand the hype. The quality and refinement are immediately noticeable when I started typing, no break-in period or adjustment required. Probably one of the highest quality off-the-shelf keyboard I have tried. Well done.

Verdict: Realforce wins the first impressions battle.
Case and cable
Spoiler:
Plum 84: The case is a slightly glossy white with kinda thick rounded edges. Nothing special, maybe a little outdated. The case snaps together without any screws, which makes you think it would be easier to take apart and look inside. Not really. When one end is loosened, it is very difficult to loosen the clips on the other end. I had to insert some old shopping cards to hold open clips while I loosened the other clips.

Also, the case seems like it was designed for a different keyboard, perhaps the Noppoo Choc Mini wireless, because there is a compartment for batteries on the back, but no wireless hardware attached to that compartment. I assume this decision reduced manufacturing costs.

The cable is braided and detachable with cable routing options. For a $100 keyboard, the cable is decent. No complaint there.
DSCN6199.JPG
DSCN6199.JPG (287.25 KiB) Viewed 24482 times
Realforce 86U: I think most of us reading this know that Realforce keyboards have sturdy, reliable, and tasteful cases that are easy to take apart. Yes, some the edges are a little excessive, but you barely notice the large edges when the keyboard is sitting on your desk. The cable, while not detachable, is thick and sturdy, and the case has routing options as well.

Verdict: Realforce 86U, no contest.
Keycaps
Spoiler:
Plum 84: Stock keycaps are a thick PBT, MX stem, and look to be about in the middle of Cherry and OEM profile. I am not aware of the legend printing method, but looks like lasered to me. The legend printing is slightly inconsistent and not the finest font selection, but at least it is not gamer font. I like the keycaps enough that I have not felt the need to replace them.

The stabilizers are simply Costar stabilizers. They came lubed out of the box, so thanks for that, Plum. A couple of the modifiers do not return to the up position as quick as the other keys. I would consider the stabilized keys to be slightly lower quality than a Topre stabilizer, but the Costar stabs are needed for the MX compatibility.

Realforce 86U: Again, I think most of us are familiar with Realforce keycaps. Dye-sub PBT and classy legends. I do not like how they scrunched the full words on the keycaps in the navigation cluster, perhaps abbreviations would work better in that location.

Verdict: Plum 84. I like the thickness of the keycaps more the Realforce. Cherry MX compatibility is great as well.
Switch Housing and Sliders
Spoiler:
Plum 84: The housing and slider for the switches are a translucent white that seem a little less robust than genuine Topre. The slider is MX compatible, so you can use all the fancy keycaps that you have lying around. Next, to make room LEDs and screws, it appears the manufacturer cut out a corner of the switch housing rather than made a cutout in the plate. Finally, silencing bands are included in the switch housing. When typing next to unsilenced Realforce, the Plum 84 is noticeably quieter.
DSCN6193.JPG
DSCN6193.JPG (518.45 KiB) Viewed 24482 times
DSCN6191.JPG
DSCN6191.JPG (419.12 KiB) Viewed 24482 times
Realforce 86U: While not MX compatible the slider and housing seem more robust than on the Plum 84. I wonder if the two keyboards use different types of plastic on these parts. Also, to accomodate LEDs, Topre uses a slightly modified housing and makes a cut in the plate rather than slicing off a corner of the switch housing. Nice touch.

Verdict: Realforce 86U, just seems like higher quality for these particular parts.
Key weighting
Spoiler:
Plum 84: The 35g key weighting was one of the main features that led me to purchase this keyboard. At first, 35g felt very light and almost linear. I never had typed on a switch as light. Over the first week of use, my fingers adjusted to feel more tactility and make less typing mistakes. I also did a rudimentary coin test and I can confirm the key weighting in even across the keys. Overall, the 35g weighting is a very unique feeling.

Realforce 86U: The Realforce 86U has 30g, 45g, and 55g key weighting. The 30g feels almost linear and the 45g/55g feels like pushing against a wall compared to the pillowy soft 35g switches on the Plum 84. I have noticed that I probably make less typing mistakes on the Realforce 86U, and I attribute this to the increased tactility compared to the uniform 35g key weighting on the Plum.

One aspect of Realforce keyboards that always has bothered me is the official key weighting tolerance published by the manufacturer. Realforce publishes +/- 15g, while Plum published +/- 5g (I can confirm the accuracy of the Plum weighting). If I am paying $100 more for your keyboard, why must I tolerate a greater potential variability in the key weighting? My only guess is that Realforce publishes this high variable weight range so that no consumer ever can complain that the keyboard falls out of that range. I don't know, maybe this topic has been discussed elsewhere.

Verdict: Realforce 86U, has a more refined feel to keys.
Internal Bits
Spoiler:
Plum 84: The plate on the Plum 84 is of a medium thickness and decent enough. I think it is stainless steel, which can be obnoxious if you prefer a plate with a more subtle finish. The soldering on the PCB and controller are clean, no complaints there. The PCB is connected to the controller with a ribbon cable, so I wonder if the controller can be replaced.

The rubber dome mat reveals some of the shortcuts taken in this keyboard. The LEDs are poked straight through the mat, without a hole for the whole LED as we see on genuine Topre keyboards, so I would have to tear the mat or cut out a larger hole to remove the mat completely.
DSCN6184.JPG
DSCN6184.JPG (459.97 KiB) Viewed 24482 times
DSCN6209.JPG
DSCN6209.JPG (590.42 KiB) Viewed 24482 times
DSCN6182.JPG
DSCN6182.JPG (487.1 KiB) Viewed 24482 times
Realforce 86U: The stock plate and PCB are perhaps the thickest I have ever seen in an off-the-shelf keyboard, seemingly hefty enough to stop a home intruder. While I did not pry apart the plate and PCB to view the dome mat, I have seen plenty of pictures and am aware of the quality. The plate and mat both have cuts for the LEDs. Topre does not take any short cuts with the internals of this keyboard.

Verdict: Realforce 86U, obviously.
Various Sounds
Spoiler:
In the keyboard world, probably because we are particular enough to spend as much on the keyboard as we spend on the computer itself, we also particular enough that we notice all the nuanced sounds produced by our keyboards.

Plum 84: A couple of things. I noticed a ping almost immediately after using the keyboard. When I am typing away for an extended period, I don't notice it anymore, but when pressing a few keys, I definitely can hear it. Many also have described to a scratchy sound and feeling in the Topre clones, which I did not notice initially. But next to the Realforce 86U, the scratchiness definitely is noticeable. My guess is there some friction in the slider mechanism that causes this scratchy sound.

Realforce 86U: We all know about the THOCK (or whatever is your favorite onomatopoeia) to describe the Topre sound. Next to the Plum 84, the Realforce 86U is slightly louder overall, but does not have the scratch sound. When the two keyboards are next to each other, the scratchiness of the Plum 84 is audible and somewhat off-putting. I cannot confirm if the Realforce is smoother, because the different weighting of the switches do not offer a direct comparison.

Verdict:
Realforce 86U, not as annoying.
Thoughts on the Layouts
Spoiler:
One of the main reasons I bought this keyboard was the 84-key compact tenkeyless layout. All the keys of the typical TKL keyboard with dead space chopped off the sides and top. Nice, right? However, I have noticed that the 84-key layout may have some ergonomic issues. When I use the arrow cluster, I have to bend my wrist to the right and this can cause some strain if I am camped in the arrow cluster. On an 87-key TKL layout, my arm and wrist are straight. I know that any of these flat, staggered layouts are far from ideally ergonomic, but the 84-key layout did cause some wrist issues for me with heavy use of the arrow cluster.

However, The Plum 84 has a couple major layout advantages over the Realforce: embedded media keys, shortcut keys, and numberpad, and programmability through software. You need Windows to program the Plum 84, but still, nice to have the option if you want to customize your layouts.
Overall Quality and Recommendation
Spoiler:
These two keyboards are what you would expect them to be. The Plum 84 has some unique features like the thick MX compatible keycaps and programming software, but is a lower cost Topre clone with some design shortcuts that reduce the overall quality. The 35g switches certainly are unique, and are some of the lightest tactile switches I have ever tried. It has some solid features for a keyboard that cost me about $100 shipped from China.

The Realforce 86U is a Realforce: solid, pleasurable typing experience, aesthetically conservative, and excels in the details. You know exactly what you are getting with this keyboard. The Japanese really know how to make some great stuff.

I will not make a recommendation. Each keyboard has their own unique features that the other lacks. But I will admit that the Realforce 86U definitely feels like a higher quality keyboard that does not make any design shortcuts. From a quality standpoint, the Plum 84 leaves a few things to be desired, but does have more features. Whether the extra cost of a Realforce is worth it, that is up to you.
Have a great day, everyone! Please ask if you have questions.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 20 Sep 2016, 01:19, edited 3 times in total.

scottc

10 Jul 2016, 17:49

Nice reviews, thanks for sharing! I think the RF was probably everyone's bet for winner for most of these things, but I'm glad to see the underdog getting a few of them. Have you considered swapping stems between the Plum and Realforce? Are they even compatible?

zslane

10 Jul 2016, 18:48

There are some folks who feel that RealForce boards are overpriced, but if that's true, where can I get a clone of equal (or superior) quality for less? They don't exist, and I'd argue that's because RFs are priced appropriately for the quality of the product you get. When you buy a Topre clone, you save money, yes, but you get a lot less keyboard for your money, IMO. And it's not like it's even close; it's pretty much night and day. You're getting nothing close to the "Topre experience" with these clones, so I'm not sure I get the point of them.

Full disclosure: I have a Topre RealForce Hi-Pro and a Noppoo EC108 Pro and would hesitate to even call the Noppoo a Topre clone given how unlike the Topre it is. Like most things in life, going with a cheap (Topre) knockoff is not worth the bother (or the cost savings).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Jul 2016, 18:59

Great work viva, but since the Plum 84 35g is really a 60% keyboard, the comparision to the HHKB and FC660C might be interesting. I'm pretty sure the HHKB clientele will not even look at a clone like this though. With a pricetag of 124.68 the Plum isn't super cheap either but still a huge difference to any real Topre based keyboard. I wonder how many of these are being sold.

wiki/Leopold_FC_660C

Your right zslane, it's marketed as a Topre clone that claim is quite relative eventough in fairness I have not tried it. If you think about the fact that with some luck you can get a new Topre for around 200-250, this is "only" 75 bucks cheaper. For that it should be at least half as good in quality and otherwise as any Topre based keyboard. I say Topre based, since Leopold and PFU also sell Topre keyboards. Many people here and elsewhere argue (including myself) that a FC660C is at least equal if not superior in quality build to a Topre Realforce.

mmaruda

10 Jul 2016, 20:24

Great review. Out of curiosity, how does the Plum compare to a standard MX board, say with browns? I guess a clone has no chance when matched with the high quality original, but as I mentioned elsewhere, capacitive switches have their advantages over common MX. Would it be viable to buy the Plum not to get a Topre-like feel, but as something that is not prone to contact switch issues?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

10 Jul 2016, 21:27

scottc wrote: Nice reviews, thanks for sharing! I think the RF was probably everyone's bet for winner for most of these things, but I'm glad to see the underdog getting a few of them. Have you considered swapping stems between the Plum and Realforce? Are they even compatible?
I have considered swapping the stems, but I prefer not to do so because I am fine with the Realforce keycaps and I wonder how a stem swap would affect the feel and sound of the keyboard. I could try with a couple keys and see what happens.
seebart wrote: Great work viva, but since the Plum 84 35g is really a 60% keyboard, the comparision to the HHKB and FC660C might be interesting. I'm pretty sure the HHKB clientele will not even look at a clone like this though. With a pricetag of 124.68 the Plum isn't super cheap either but still a huge difference to any real Topre based keyboard. I wonder how many of these are being sold.
I am not the best person to compare this to the HHKB because I do not like the lack of plate in the HHKB. The quality on the HHKB is obvious, but I am not a fan of the feel or the layout. However, the Leopold FC660C would be a good comparison. I would love to do a dome swap similar to ramnes' project. I am not a huge fan of the 45g Topre switches, as they feel a bit too close to the feel of a membrane rubber dome.
mmaruda wrote: Great review. Out of curiosity, how does the Plum compare to a standard MX board, say with browns? I guess a clone has no chance when matched with the high quality original, but as I mentioned elsewhere, capacitive switches have their advantages over common MX. Would it be viable to buy the Plum not to get a Topre-like feel, but as something that is not prone to contact switch issues?
Great question. I think it could be a decent keyboard for those that are seeking a keyboard not prone to contact switch issues.

Now for the feel of the keyboard. Off the top of head, the Plum is softer, lighter, and quieter with a higher actuation point, basically as expected from a lightweight electrostatic capacitive switch. One the reasons I bought the keyboard is because I thought it could be a suitable quiet and light option, more so than any MX switch. In my experience, I think that rings true. As for the overall build quality, I think this keyboard compares well to a mid-range MX keyboard.

scottc

10 Jul 2016, 21:52

Yeah, I meant more as an experiment to see how it affects keyfeel, stability etc. rather than a full-time mod. I think it'd be interesting!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

10 Jul 2016, 22:07

scottc wrote: Yeah, I meant more as an experiment to see how it affects keyfeel, stability etc. rather than a full-time mod. I think it'd be interesting!
Hmm, some more keyboard science definitely is necessary. I will think about it.

TuxKey
LLAP

12 Jul 2016, 21:11

i got the FC660C a while back because i found my FC660M with mx-clears to heavy.
i considered going with the RealForce 78U but coming from mx-clears i was a bit worried that a 55g would be as painful as my clears after a long day of typing.

my ideal topre board would be a cross between the FC660C and 78U.
Form factor would be default key sizes so no different shift or spacebar.
And no excess / dead space...Basically FC660C with two extra rows instead of two keys and sum dead space.. Or the Plum 84 with a longer shift and extra vertical line of keys (if that makes sense)...

i don’t like that RealFoce doesn’t have a detachable cable..
btw 45g FC660C doesn’t come close to the feel of a rubber dome..
Only short typing i did on a topre board that invoked that rubber dome feeling was the NovaTouch TKL..But a couple months back during a keyboard meetup i typed on a modded NovaTouch TKL and it felt way way better..

i keep a rubber dome buried inside my basement just to use it now and then and remember how awful rubber dome really is (microsoft ergonomic keyboard 7000) ahhahaha..

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

13 Jul 2016, 00:40

You are aware that you can buy a 45g or variable force Realforce, not just the 55g? Although I imagine the 45g on a Leopold feel different than on a Realforce.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 13 Jul 2016, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

13 Jul 2016, 00:46

Excellent review, bud. I really want to try a Datapoint keyboard to see how the switches compare to my 30/35g Topre domes.

They are supposed to be 35g also, but from what I read they feel a tad heavier. Could be the perfect balance.

shreebles
Finally 60%

13 Jul 2016, 12:05

Nice review!

I wonder, is there any Topre-based keyboard that you can buy stock with all 35g or 30g domes?

IKSLM

13 Jul 2016, 13:46

Out of stock, but still: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=1508

i was thinking of buying it but then decided to buy a "regular 45g" topre.
Last edited by IKSLM on 14 Jul 2016, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

13 Jul 2016, 13:49

ramnes wrote: Excellent review, bud. I really want to try a Datapoint keyboard to see how the switches compare to my 30/35g Topre domes.

They are supposed to be 35g also, but from what I read they feel a tad heavier. Could be the perfect balance.
Thanks! Do you mean the Dharmapoint or the Datapoint? I cannot seem to find any info on a Datapoint Topre keyboard. And I agree, I would love to try a 35g Topre.
shreebles wrote: Nice review!

I wonder, is there any Topre-based keyboard that you can buy stock with all 35g or 30g domes?
There are a few JIS Realforce keyboards with 30g, along with some Topre OEM keyboards. Not sure if there are any ANSI 30g Topre keyboards currently available.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... lforce+30g

smudgers

20 Aug 2016, 17:29

Regarding the PLUM 84 I hope you might be able to assist me.

I've had problems in the past with other keyboards where the detachable cable eventually falls out of the channel. That by itself doesn't concern me; however I am worried that this will put strain on the hub itself.

Can you please tell me if on the Plum 84 once the cable is plugged in and you push the cable in the channel holder (clips?) if it stays snug and doesn't fall out unless you deliberately pull it out?

A comparison of this attribute to the Realforce would also be beneficial. Part of my apprehension is even with the Coolermaster Novatouch - which was widely advertised as having it's connector reinforced - have shown some reports of the connector failing.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 Aug 2016, 20:08

The cable stays decently snug, although not as snug as on my Realforce keyboard. This cable on the Plum 84 also is has a braided covering rather than rubber, for what it is worth. The clips on a Realforce keyboard hold the cable very tightly.

However, I don't think it puts much strain on the hub, though.

smudgers

26 Aug 2016, 05:58

vivalarevolución: what's the final verdict on the plum 84 layout now that you've used the 86u for a while? Do you use the 86u more often now?

smudgers

04 Sep 2016, 03:07

Warning - incoming "just got the keyboard - no long term usage" euphoria:

I just got one of these in the mail today. What a treat!

Absolutely the best keyboard I've ever typed on. 35g PLUM EC is where it's at for me. It feels so professional!

For $99 shipped from MechanicalKeyboards.com in the states - it's an absolute bargain and I can't wait to take it to work with me on Tuesday.

Other notes:

I have to say that the photos on MK are wrong. The "simple" non back-lit model has more professional looking side legends - but also fewer of them.

I was eh when ordering a white keyboard but now that I see it in front of me I love it! I could care less if a black model became available.

These switches are fan-freakin-tastic. "Topre is better" <-- FU. Topre doesn't sell a 75% board, nor do they sell uniform FC660C / HHKB / or 87U with 30g silent switches. And if they did it would likely be $250 minimum. To buy a board, then buy hypersphere rings, and then buy 30g board for donor domes ... $$$$$$$ NOT WORTH IT. I've typed on 45g Topre before and for me and my preferences these PLUM 30g are the cats meow!

Embedded numpad transmits the correct numpad codes. Nice!

Oh by the way some of you bastards have fat ass hands. I've can't speak for Gateron Clears but I've typed on this (35g) and Matias Quiet LInears - and with neither board did I accidentally trigger key presses.

My shoulders are appreciating the more narrow frame. Tenkeyless now feels painful lol; and all this functionality without a bunch of "hold down FN and then hit these keys to use the navigation cluster."

MK is selling this for $99 freakin dollars and it's the deal of 2016 IMHO. When I can afford to do so I plan to pick up a couple more.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Sep 2016, 01:25

smudgers wrote: vivalarevolución: what's the final verdict on the plum 84 layout now that you've used the 86u for a while? Do you use the 86u more often now?
Sorry, smudgers, I did not see your first question. I used the Realforce 86u more often than the Plum 84 because I made less typing mistakes with the Realforce. I spent too much time slamming the backspace and delete on the Plum 84. The extra weight of the 45g did not cause my fingers to tire more than the usual keyboard (but I still would prefer a little lighter than 45g, probably like 40g.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Sep 2016, 02:07

---MINI FOLLOWUP---

Hey guys, I recently acquired a unique Realforce 87UB with swapped 30g domes from a Realforce 10th Anniversay keyboard (the keyboard originally was uniform 55g). The key weighting feels about the same as the Plum 84 35g, with perhaps a bit more tactility in the Realforce. Not sure what that can be attributed to, perhaps the higher quality domes and thicker plate and PCB. The "naked" dome sheet in a Realforce feels more firm than the "naked" dome sheet in the Plum. Overall, the build quality of the internal components makes a noticeable difference in the feel between the two keyboards, and I have grown to prefer the Realforce.

My only complaint is that the modifier keys would feels wonderful with 45g domes. I love to mash down on those modifiers, and 30g domes does not allow for my desired level of mashing.

If the funds are available, I think that I will stick to Realforce keyboards for my Topre-like experience, because the difference in quality is worth it to me. Now you if like the MX-compatible keycaps, software programmability, backlighting, and those other features, by all means, go with a Plum or Royal Kludge Topre-clone keyboard. I ain't the boss of nobody.

nrp

20 Dec 2016, 19:23

smudgers wrote: Warning - incoming "just got the keyboard - no long term usage" euphoria:

I just got one of these in the mail today. What a treat!

Absolutely the best keyboard I've ever typed on. 35g PLUM EC is where it's at for me. It feels so professional!

For $99 shipped from MechanicalKeyboards.com in the states - it's an absolute bargain and I can't wait to take it to work with me on Tuesday.

Other notes:

I have to say that the photos on MK are wrong. The "simple" non back-lit model has more professional looking side legends - but also fewer of them.

I was eh when ordering a white keyboard but now that I see it in front of me I love it! I could care less if a black model became available.

These switches are fan-freakin-tastic. "Topre is better" <-- FU. Topre doesn't sell a 75% board, nor do they sell uniform FC660C / HHKB / or 87U with 30g silent switches. And if they did it would likely be $250 minimum. To buy a board, then buy hypersphere rings, and then buy 30g board for donor domes ... $$$$$$$ NOT WORTH IT. I've typed on 45g Topre before and for me and my preferences these PLUM 30g are the cats meow!

Embedded numpad transmits the correct numpad codes. Nice!

Oh by the way some of you bastards have fat ass hands. I've can't speak for Gateron Clears but I've typed on this (35g) and Matias Quiet LInears - and with neither board did I accidentally trigger key presses.

My shoulders are appreciating the more narrow frame. Tenkeyless now feels painful lol; and all this functionality without a bunch of "hold down FN and then hit these keys to use the navigation cluster."

MK is selling this for $99 freakin dollars and it's the deal of 2016 IMHO. When I can afford to do so I plan to pick up a couple more.
I agree.

I have a PLUM 84 and a Leopold FC980C.

I prefer to type on the clone.

Menuhin

20 Dec 2016, 21:55

PLUM 84 comes fully-programmable with PBT dye-sub key caps, and I really like the 75% form factor.
I hope either PLUM 84 can get the solid build and the more tactile 45g/55g dome sheet design like those in Realforce, or that Realforce will have a fully-programmable 75% board in the future.

seaworthy

31 Dec 2016, 06:33

tl:dr anyone know if the Plum software can record a chorded key combination?

I have recently picked up a Plum 84 keyboard (non-LED). Only been using it for a day so the feedback is of limited value, but I really like this Topre clone. I have an HHKB and an RU8755. While the Plum clearly doesn’t have the same quality control, the value is there for the $99 I paid to have this delivered from Aliexpress to the US.

Surprisingly one of my favorite features is the sound and feel of the switches. I’ve added Hypersphere’s rings to my HHKB, and I’ve had a Type-S…this feels and sounds a bit like a scratchy Type-S (as noted, the Plum ships with dampening rings). While I like these, I sure some would hate it.

I also like the layout especially considering it’s only about ¾ of an inch wider than the HHKB yet it has dedicated arrow cluster as well as dedicated Delete, Home, Page Up, Page Down and End keys. Yes, I get that the HHKB’s chorded combinations are what offer the efficiency and the smaller footprint, but that’s the value in the difference. Some would love to have a Topre switch with these dedicated keys, at a competitive price.

Bottom line, if you ever wanted to try Topre but didn’t want to pay the premium, this is a reasonable, affordable representation. Nothing else, it might foster price compression or feature competitiveness.

The potential killer combination is the programmability. I have Hasu’s excellent controller in my HHKB. But I’m stuck on programming a chorded combo for IJKL arrow navigation (dedicated arrows while great for one-handed navigation, are not as fast as home-row navigation), and wondering if anyone can help.

I have figured out how to program a single key with the Windows software from the manufacturer however, I can’t seem to get the concept of a combination key.

It might be just that you can only record a “Combo” as a contiguous series of keys and that you CAN’T create a chorded combination. Each time I try to program a combination key, I just end up reassigning one of the two keys which need to be part of the combination. If you know how to make a chorded combo, please share it here.

Menuhin

31 Dec 2016, 13:34

By "chorded combination", do you mean key press action such as Ctrl+Alt+Del?

I have a PLUM 84 but haven't tried to program it yet. I definitely agree it's a bang for the buck, given the programmability and PBT caps (dye-sub?). It's actually possible to get the 35g Topre-clone non-led version in less than $80 and the Gateron black version in less than $70 now on Aliexpress, and I paid more earlier.

I'm typing on my HHKB 2 right now, and its sound when I type faster reminds me of shuffling of some wooden dominoes. For the 35g PLUM (I swapped in a 55g Korean dome sheet, and still not as 'heavy' as the stock HHKB 2), its a bit scratchy sound is like quickly repeatedly cutting a deck of high quality plastic playing cards. These sounds are all strangely satisfying for me. :oops:

seaworthy

31 Dec 2016, 23:38

Yes, the chorded key combination I'm trying to program with the Plum so that I can use IJKL as navigation keys in combination with holding down Left Alt.

Return to “Reviews”