AEK review REDUX (Alps SKCM Salmon)

Chyros

17 Jun 2017, 14:54

Time for another redux, this week on the good old AEK. Hope you enjoy the video :) .

mr_a500

17 Jun 2017, 15:52

Nice review. I agree with you on mostly everything. I too prefer the lighter orange Alps and don't really like the font. That's why I put SGI keycaps on (one of) mine:

On a side note, I can't stand the sound of modern Cherry MX. That clicky blue Cherry sound in your intro makes me cringe in anger.

wobbled

17 Jun 2017, 17:48

I thought his intro was the sound of blue alps

E3E

17 Jun 2017, 17:55

When blue Alps clicks are really isolated, they can sound rather thin. The case acoustics have a lot to do with it. My KB101A actually doesn't have as deep of a sound as some other blue Alps boards, and Chyros' comes from his Acer, IIRC.

/shrug

I do agree that it sounds a bit thin though.

pfoff

18 Jun 2017, 01:37

Great review! Incredibly professional!
Mine has orange alps, but I am missing some. Any idea where i can buy single orange switches, or from which keyboard I could harvest them?

E3E

18 Jun 2017, 14:36

pfoff wrote: Great review! Incredibly professional!
Mine has orange alps, but I am missing some. Any idea where i can buy single orange switches, or from which keyboard I could harvest them?
Apple M0116s are the common choice. Easier to source them if you're in the US. I also have some switches though if you only need a few.

just_add_coffee

21 Jun 2017, 20:26

Good job again!

Is it accurate to say that Apple made better keyboards when Steve Jobs wasn't there?

Oh, Chyros ... have you ever done an episode listing your ten or so favorite? Or least favorite? If you have, I haven't found it yet; and if you haven't, it could be a heck of a lot of fun! :D

Engicoder

21 Jun 2017, 21:01

Great review as always.
Hmmm, a keyboard that has aged beyond yellow to orange? Should be perfect for a Dutchman :P

Chyros

21 Jun 2017, 23:40

just_add_coffee wrote: Good job again!

Is it accurate to say that Apple made better keyboards when Steve Jobs wasn't there?

Oh, Chyros ... have you ever done an episode listing your ten or so favorite? Or least favorite? If you have, I haven't found it yet; and if you haven't, it could be a heck of a lot of fun! :D
That's a good idea actually, I might do that. I'm working on several special videos atm actually, including the one for this weekend :D .
Engicoder wrote: Great review as always.
Hmmm, a keyboard that has aged beyond yellow to orange? Should be perfect for a Dutchman :P
It's closer to brown now actually xD .

Tuntematon

16 Jul 2017, 23:17

For the record, the AEK switched from Orange to Salmon somewhere between 737566 and 749873. I've damn near pinpointed it!

Return to “Reviews”