Dell GYUM97SK review (Alps SKCM Pine Black)

Chyros

13 Jan 2018, 12:56

Today we go over the Dell GYUM97SK, an oft-overlooked, superior version of the AT101, as well as an overview of the timeline of these keyboards. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Damonskv

13 Jan 2018, 13:17

thanks a lot, excellent review!!! I finally know all the differences between different generations of dell

Claraval23

13 Jan 2018, 18:59

Nice! Now the prices of these models will skyrocket again. Kudos bro!!!! xDD

codemonkeymike

13 Jan 2018, 20:13

Claraval23 wrote: Nice! Now the prices of these models will skyrocket again. Kudos bro!!!! xDD
Old label Dell keyboards have had high prices all year.

Elrick

13 Jan 2018, 23:23

codemonkeymike wrote:
Claraval23 wrote: Nice! Now the prices of these models will skyrocket again. Kudos bro!!!! xDD
Old label Dell keyboards have had high prices all year.
Why not, a decent keyboard sporting some very likeable switches. I'm using a new WANG keyboard with Blacks bought off Bob Tibbetts. Actually like them a lot, also I have another DELL keyboard with Blacks and I have to note here, that I really like them more than any Blues.

I know I committed heresy by putting down "Blue Alps" but you should know me by now.

Would rather they didn't go up in pricing but guess what, it stops them from disappearing off Flebay too quickly :D .

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

14 Jan 2018, 08:50

Great review, my man. I use to have one of thee boards. I kind of regret selling it - pine blacks are kinda neat!

I do think there exist boards not made by silitek that use bamboo black alps, however. As Elrick pointed out, the wang 725 has bamboo black alps in it.

Chyros

14 Jan 2018, 09:47

//gainsborough wrote: Great review, my man. I use to have one of thee boards. I kind of regret selling it - pine blacks are kinda neat!

I do think there exist boards not made by silitek that use bamboo black alps, however. As Elrick pointed out, the wang 725 has bamboo black alps in it.
Does it actually though? I know the wiki says so, but on the pictures it links to they look like pines, not bamboo switches.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Jan 2018, 09:55

Chyros wrote: Does it actually though? I know the wiki says so, but on the pictures it links to they look like pines, not bamboo switches.
Dont take the wiki-data for granted.

Starck

14 Jan 2018, 12:58

Bought a black AT101 once because of the positive reviews.
It was a bit dirty, but i thought it wouldn't matter.... it matters.

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Jan 2018, 13:16

Chyros wrote: Does it actually though? I know the wiki says so, but on the pictures it links to they look like pines, not bamboo switches.
Those are bamboo; what you're seeing is where the slits in the mould were filled in, leaving a pair of ridges on each side.

Chyros

14 Jan 2018, 16:46

Starck wrote: Bought a black AT101 once because of the positive reviews.
Have you got or tried a good or NOS one since?

Starck

14 Jan 2018, 17:50

Chyros wrote:
Have you got or tried a good or NOS one since?
No not yet, still keeping an eye out for Matias quiet. The blacks where also a bit loud for me.

Menuhin

14 Jan 2018, 19:02

I have a Dell GYUM97SK, labelled made in Taiwan.

Among other boards with Alps switches I have / had, I like the pine blacks most; But I can throw a bamboo blacks Dell board outside my windows (towards the recycling area) at any time, with its Dye-sub caps taken off first - all Alps bamboo switches bind, like brakes on a vehicle rubbing onto the braking discs without my request.

As someone who likes heavier switches, such as Cherry MX blacks, my personal preference of Alps SKCM/SKCL switches:
Black pines / Brown > Salmon > Orange / White pines / Blue > Undampened creams > Dampened creams > Green linear

Haven't got those ultra rare, e.g. Neon greens (neither their bamboos nor pines), Amber, Stripe-Amber, but I think the above should be enough.

The only thing that I do not like this GYUM97SK board is that, Dell is just a lame brand without any well-known glorious history and without any cool character, and similar model of that era could be made in Japan and this board was made in Taiwan - less cool. I still recall myself getting angry when I bought a Nikkor lens and found out that was made in Taiwan instead of made in Japan, Taiwanese are Chinese, which means usually quite smart but has a tendency to make ethically not so correct choice due to a different perspective of "integrity" - Taiwanese also have unqualified building structures (e.g. Using tin cans and even polystyrene instead of qualified metallic rebar rods to reinforce concrete structures) that killed people and have unethical food safety problems (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil) due to corrupted builders and manufacturers. Things have changed since than especially in recent years, just look at brands from China like Dji and Huawei, eating big into the market share with their high quality products.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Jan 2018, 00:27

Great video, Chyros. Thanks. I've had an Alps switch reawakening recently, so this video was a good kick in the pants to get out there and see what's available. Found an Alps MCL-101 keyboard with an FCC ID of GYISAT102-102 for a decent price. I don't know yet what flavor of switches it has, but that's all part of the fun, right? I've always wanted an Alps branded keyboard with Alps switches.

andrewjoy

15 Jan 2018, 12:57

Good video pointing out pine vs bamboo.

I think that the major difference in them is the slits , i feel ( from tanking many alps apart and making ghetto greens) is that the slits reduce the alps wobble and therefore also make the thing smoother and its not wobbling into the side of the housing as much. This in theory will allow the tolerances inside the switch to be tighter resulting in better feel.

Part of it is also the switch plate , the older grey switch plates in alps wont fit in newer housings ( even of the same type of switch)

Cattus_D

19 Jan 2018, 21:58

Chyros wrote: Today we go over the Dell GYUM97SK, an oft-overlooked, superior version of the AT101, as well as an overview of the timeline of these keyboards. Hope you enjoy the video! :)
Many thanks for this review! The GUYM97SK is one of my favourite keyboards, along with the Model M.
Cleaning the switches does help. Those in my Dell keyboard were scratchy until I cleaned and then lubed them; it is now a very pleasant keyboard to type on.

everythingkbpro

02 Feb 2018, 08:42

Good day! Hello guys! I am new here in this forum. I just wanna share my KB which I believe is Pine Alps Black Switch. I cant seem to find any details about this keyboard so might as well share this here on this thread. Please check attached photo for your review. I hope someone shares knowledge about this KB. Lastly, How much could i sell this in US$?
Attachments
kb5.jpg
kb5.jpg (76.33 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
kb4.jpg
kb4.jpg (83.85 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
kb3.jpg
kb3.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
kb2.jpg
kb2.jpg (69.26 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
kb.jpg
kb.jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 6125 times

Chyros

02 Feb 2018, 08:55

Welcome to DT! :)

That's a Bull-branded Alps Bigfoot keyboard. Indeed pine black Alps and quite nice German grey doubleshot keycaps. Good find!

everythingkbpro

02 Feb 2018, 10:41

Thanks, Brah! Any idea when was this kb manufactured though? Thanks for the reply

Chyros

02 Feb 2018, 11:19

You can probably check that yourself; there will probably be a time wheel on the inside of the case. My guess is around 1990-1992.

Return to “Reviews”