"Project N" Wyse WY-50 (Kailh BOX Navy)

Chyros

17 Feb 2018, 16:56

This video took a LOT of time to make, but I'm happy with the result :) . Hope you enjoy the video! :D

scottc

17 Feb 2018, 17:25

I just built a board with box whites and was really surprised to find that they were even more high-pitched and less bassy than MX blues in a G80-3000 chassis.

The navy Kailh thick box click dark navy heavy Kaihau switches do seem like they sound better but I'd prefer something lighter. Maybe once they fix the spring problems with the "jades" I'll give those a go.

...the worst thing about the WY50s is the absolutely absurd spacebar. Nobody has any business designing a keyboard with such a long spacebar.
Last edited by scottc on 17 Feb 2018, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

rich1051414

17 Feb 2018, 17:26

I recently received my Jades, and I don't know if they 'fixed' the issue, but out of 100 of my switches, none of them stick, or even feel laggy for that matter. They are no more laggy than an alps clicky switch.

HOWEVER, i did have to fiddle with and lube my stabs, cause if they added any resistance at all, the switch would lag to return, and you could feel it. I never could get it to work on a specific switch, but since the switches are insanely stable, I actually didn't need to stabilize it anyway.

I love how they feel though, very tactile. They do feel reminiscent of alps, but without the feeling that you are binding when you push them on the side or off axis. Very nice.

I have a feeling you will like jades, as long as it is confirmed they fixed the laggy feeling, as long as you are willing to deal with stabilizer troubles you might have.
Last edited by rich1051414 on 17 Feb 2018, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

17 Feb 2018, 17:28

rich1051414 wrote: They do feel reminiscent of alps, but without the feeling that you are binding when you push them on the side or off axis. Very nice.
That's funny, that's how I recently described my box whites. Kind of like clicky Alps but more consistent.

rich1051414

17 Feb 2018, 17:32

scottc wrote:
rich1051414 wrote: They do feel reminiscent of alps, but without the feeling that you are binding when you push them on the side or off axis. Very nice.
That's funny, that's how I recently described my box whites. Kind of like clicky Alps but more consistent.
Oh, the jades feel even more tactile than alps white, not by much, but they are.

I also have pale blues, and personally I found the tactility a little anemic. It felt linear with a sharp bump. These feel very different than that. The bottom totally falls out from under them, making it near impossible to not bottom out. Just like I like it :D

Edit: I will tell you what Jades reminds me of, it just dawned on me. Arcade machine buttons. The kind that have omron microswitches under them and springs for over travel.

E3E

17 Feb 2018, 18:29

Alps switches do not bind on off-center key presses if you have good condition switches.

scottc

17 Feb 2018, 19:24

rich1051414 wrote: I also have pale blues, and personally I found the tactility a little anemic. It felt linear with a sharp bump. These feel very different than that. The bottom totally falls out from under them, making it near impossible to not bottom out. Just like I like it :D
Yeah, the tactility on the whites is pretty anaemic too. But then again I do really like linear MX so it's kind of like that but with a click (and not much tactility). :D I should give Jades a go.

derzemel

17 Feb 2018, 19:41

Very thorough review.

These might be the first modern switch that peaks my interest.

They sound good in the WYSE case, but, to my ears, the sound might not work in a metal case. ALPS Blue have the same issue.

Also, I wonder if Kaihua might me able to make a non-clicky switch with the same tactility as the Navy blues.

green-squid

18 Feb 2018, 17:22

Chyros wrote: This video took a LOT of time to make, but I'm happy with the result :) . Hope you enjoy the video! :D
very excellent video, but now I'm even more confused as to what clicky keyboard I should get. This clicky thing sounds good, but then there is my man Wodan's model m, and I have a green alps board that I could fit out with clicky switches maybe... aaargh!!!!! :? :? :? :?

green-squid

18 Feb 2018, 19:29

help me aaaaaah :(

Elrick

19 Feb 2018, 02:20

Chyros wrote: This video took a LOT of time to make, but I'm happy with the result :) . Hope you enjoy the video! :D
I did :D .

Again a very pertinent statement from you regarding these new switches have "Taken the keyboard Community straight by the Balls".

My youngest giggled frantically at that, which is now quite true about these new Box switches, especially the Navy's.

Brilliant review but PLEASE take off those ridiculous stickers, it makes the keyboard look cheap and nasty like something thrown away into a refuse bin. STICKERS should only be applied upon school bags and desks and no where else.

Still the WYSE 50 keyboard looks sublime and it's now been thoroughly upgraded with MODERN switches, this maybe the FIRST weird circumstance for you, normally hating modern produced technology yet it works here within your older keyboard :mrgreen: .

andrea-i

19 Feb 2018, 14:23

Elrick wrote: Still the WYSE 50 keyboard looks sublime and it's now been thoroughly upgraded with MODERN switches, this maybe the FIRST weird circumstance for you, normally hating modern produced technology yet it works here within your older keyboard :mrgreen: .
How do you guys cope with absence of at least two modifiers?
I keep wondering, simply because some gorgeous vintage keyboards out there don't have any or make do with just one.
I don't use the hateful winkey but pretty much every software I use demands both alt and ctrl.

P.s. yes, Chyros' reviews are just great, and my girlfriend can't stand his deep voice, nor me laughing at his jokes : D

hellothere

23 Aug 2020, 04:16

I watched all of Chyros' videos on the box switches and decided to buy a pack of thick click Navys from NovelKeys. I don't happen to have a vintage Cherry chassis lying around, but I do have an old Cherry-clone-switch Velocifire TKL that was just sitting in the closet. Hey, it's got a metal mounting plate and the build quality is pretty decent. Non-floating design. Bluish-green backlight. So, de-soldering and dropping in new switches!

They're fantastic.

The Box Navy takes one thing I hate about ALL Cherry and Cherry clone switches: they wiggle all over the place. I have next to me a Model M, a Hi-Tek ("space invaders") keyboard, and the Velocimod. The Velocimod and Hi-Tek are about the same.
The Model M wiggles slightly more.

The Velocimod has "fake switch" stabilizers for the big keys, including the spacebar, rather than wire stabilizers. The spacebar feels fantastic and has a very satisfying THUNK sound.

IMO, these switches feel alarmingly close to or possibly even better than a Model M. So much so that I'm starting to wonder what it'd be like if I bought a better chassis and some halfway decent keycaps. Hmmmm.

kelvinhall05

23 Aug 2020, 05:07

hellothere wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 04:16
I watched all of Chyros' videos on the box switches and decided to buy a pack of thick click Navys from NovelKeys. I don't happen to have a vintage Cherry chassis lying around, but I do have an old Cherry-clone-switch Velocifire TKL that was just sitting in the closet. Hey, it's got a metal mounting plate and the build quality is pretty decent. Non-floating design. Bluish-green backlight. So, de-soldering and dropping in new switches!

They're fantastic.

The Box Navy takes one thing I hate about ALL Cherry and Cherry clone switches: they wiggle all over the place. I have next to me a Model M, a Hi-Tek ("space invaders") keyboard, and the Velocimod. The Velocimod and Hi-Tek are about the same.
The Model M wiggles slightly more.

The Velocimod has "fake switch" stabilizers for the big keys, including the spacebar, rather than wire stabilizers. The spacebar feels fantastic and has a very satisfying THUNK sound.

IMO, these switches feel alarmingly close to or possibly even better than a Model M. So much so that I'm starting to wonder what it'd be like if I bought a better chassis and some halfway decent keycaps. Hmmmm.
I put box navy in a PCE and it's amazing, easily my favourite modern switch (by FAR) and as good as some vints I own. I don't find the wobble to be an issue (and I'm super sensitive to wobble) and I just think they're perfect. Not great for gaming but amazing for typing.

ddrfraser1

23 Aug 2020, 05:41

I put box pinks in an iKBC MF108. Oh man, that thing is delicious. Possibly my favorite clicky switch :o heresy?

hellothere

23 Aug 2020, 21:10

I need to proofread my posts better: "There's one thing I hate about ALL Cherry and Cherry clone switches that the Box Navys fix: they wiggle all over the place."

Anyhow, I do have another Velocifire TKL that I might put Pinks in, if I decide that the Navys are too heavy. However, the NoveKeys website have those Hako switches that I need to look at a bit further.

ddrfraser1

23 Aug 2020, 22:22

hellothere wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 21:10
I need to proofread my posts better: "There's one thing I hate about ALL Cherry and Cherry clone switches that the Box Navys fix: they wiggle all over the place."

Anyhow, I do have another Velocifire TKL that I might put Pinks in, if I decide that the Navys are too heavy. However, the NoveKeys website have those Hako switches that I need to look at a bit further.
I just installed some hako clears. I really enjoy them. They are pretty understated as far as tactile switches go, opposite end of the spectrum from blueberries and HPs although I like those guys as well :)

hellothere

24 Aug 2020, 20:40

I'm using the Velocimod today for work. It's really nice. I started the day thinking that they were a touch heavy, but 4 hours later, I've gotten a bit used to them.

With all due respect to Chyros, keyboard/key switch sound was never something I really cared about, because I prioritize feel, but I really like the sound that spacebar makes. The other keys sound really good, too.

Mmmm. I'd like me some SA or DSA keycaps ...

ddrfraser1

24 Aug 2020, 21:18

Agreed. Anyone know if sp makes a 9.75u sa sb?

zrrion

24 Aug 2020, 21:34

they likely have the molds to make one but from what I understand MOQ would be like 200 if they don't have it on their website.

ddrfraser1

25 Aug 2020, 06:09

That’s what I figured. Thanks

hellothere

01 Oct 2020, 04:09

So, I bought a bunch of Box Pinks and Box Jades and put them in my other Velocifire. Opinions:

* The Box Pinks feel like what Cherry MX blues should feel like: light. Easy to type on. They sound much less annoying than the MX Blues, but they're still high pitched. For me, though, they're a bit too light -- which is about how I feel about MX Blues.

* The Box Jades are almost perfect for me. I could go for just a little lighter. The sound also doesn't have as much presence as the Navys, but it's not bad. An all Jade board with Navys for the spacebar and possibly enter and backspace? That'd work great for me. And I can make that happen.

I'm currently typing this on an Apple Extended Keyboard II with Alps cream damped switches. I don't do any gaming, so I can't speak to that, but the AEK is better than either of the box switches, feel-wise, but I do miss the sound of that Navy spacebar. >Thok< I can type noticeably faster, too. I need to compare with one of my Models M.

hellothere

06 Nov 2020, 22:31

I'll first list some keyboards I recently bought:

* Apple Extended Keyboard II. Alps Cream Damped.
* Apple keyboard. Alps Orange.
* Chicony something-or-other. Alps Pine White.
* Wang 724/725. Alps Salmon/Pink.

I disassembled most or all of the switches AEK and Chicony, ultrasoniced everything, lubed the Chicony with Krytox (IIRC that's what it was called; $13 for a little bottle), and lubed the AEK with Super Lube. I actually lubed the AEK twice: the first time I just "painted" on the lube and the result was so-so. I then disassembled the top housings and soaked the key stems in Super Lube overnight. So ... I got to compare all those to the Navys and Jades.

You probably knew where this was going to go: the Alps keyboards won handily. The Chicony needed major help when I got it, so I doubt the switches are even 8/10 at this point, but they feel excellent. The restored AEK is probably 8/10, as well. The Apple is easily 9/10 or better. The Wang's probably a 7. I think the salmon Alps are weighted a bit too heavy for me, but they feel very close to the Jades.

So, I still think that the Jades and Navys are probably the best MX-compatible switches on the market and if you can't get your hands on a restored Alps-switch keyboard, they're a good purchase. Additionally, my Velocimods have one thing that none of my Alps keyboards have: backlighting.

Jan Pospisil

16 Nov 2020, 15:57

Hijacking this - so what are some good vintage MX-compatible boards with a sensible layout one could potentially put Box Navies into?

zrrion

16 Nov 2020, 17:36

WYSE PCE would be a great choice. I put box pink in mine.

Return to “Reviews”