Zenith Z-150 keyboard review by THOMAS

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 10:05

I still have that Zenith Z-150 chassis. I wonder if I can put Matias Linears (or tactiles) in and have them feel good.

Thomas said that 'The linears REALLY have to be your thing.', so that means they are good, right? :)

Myoth

24 Mar 2018, 11:55

No, that means "you will either love or hate it, there's no in between".

Downgrading from SKCL Green to Matias Linear would make it almost worthless and inferior to its original state

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 Mar 2018, 12:18

Matias Linear are better than having a rubber dome board, but you have to seriously mod them in order to have them actually feel more like an SKCL switch. I've found that removing the dampers from the switch greatly improve the linearity of the switches. Otherwise there's an odd mushiness to them that just feels weird.

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 12:58

What about quiet click?

Chyros

24 Mar 2018, 13:16

Matias Quiet Linears I found use dampeners that are considerably BIGGER than the ones used on Quiet Clicks. This results in a noticeably shorter keytravel and very strange, mushy bottoming-out feel that I personally don't like at all. If you remove the dampeners they become a lot better, more like SKCL, but they're too light IMO. I prefer SKCL Green in every aspect. Matiases are more durable and have the luxury of being able available off the shelf, though, of course.

Remember that the MQL switches were developed in response to a VERY specific set of demands set by a group of stenographers. They were not at all intended as a mass market solution.

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 13:30

That sucks. Are there really no good switches out there to put in my zenith? :shock:

Myoth

24 Mar 2018, 13:33

the original SKCL Green were good switches that were ALREADY in your zenith ...

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 13:39

But I had to sell them to make money for my M.

Myoth

24 Mar 2018, 14:09

you could have sold the whole board for much more and not be troubled with having to choose switches that will cost you money

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 14:25

Myoth wrote: you could have sold the whole board for much more and not be troubled with having to choose switches that will cost you money
But I didn't want to get rid of such a good chassis man! :x

So what are some good switches (that AREN'T expensive) that I could put in it?

Dingster

24 Mar 2018, 14:26

I want green alps so bad, linears are best switches imo :)

hansichen

24 Mar 2018, 14:26

green-squid wrote: But I didn't want to get rid of such a good chassis man! :x

That just doesn't work with alps...

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Mar 2018, 14:30

green-squid wrote:
Myoth wrote: you could have sold the whole board for much more and not be troubled with having to choose switches that will cost you money
But I didn't want to get rid of such a good chassis man! :x

>good alps
>not expensive
choose one

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 14:34

God damn it! :(

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Mar 2018, 14:43

I mean you can get lucky of course... I finally managed to snag the last alps switch type I actually wanted to own a few days ago (SKCL brown) for about half what the crazy ebay rate is. deals are out there, you just have to know how to find them.

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 15:15

I haven't had luck at the flea market recently. Doubt I will.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Mar 2018, 15:17

green-squid wrote: I haven't had luck at the flea market recently. Doubt I will.
Not just locally... look in places people don't normally look online, and always be quick about it. good deals dont stay up for long.

Sangdrax

24 Mar 2018, 15:25

I love nice linears like this so much. Just a real joy type on and listen to.

Menuhin

24 Mar 2018, 16:08

mike52787 wrote: I mean you can get lucky of course... I finally managed to snag the last alps switch type I actually wanted to own a few days ago (SKCL brown) for about half what the crazy ebay rate is. deals are out there, you just have to know how to find them.
It would be nice if you make a thread to show your Alps full house when you have time.

It's not a bottomless pit but having an unpredictable period of time to wait and then an ever rising price of these vintage Alps boards, I decided to stop looking further after getting some greens, oranges, blues, and (common) browns, etc. Types I really want to try are neon-greens, ambers, and stripe-ambers; these are gems that I look forward to see in keyboard meetups. The cases that I didn't feel too bad not keeping was only the very common AEK II. Otherwise, the Silicon graphics case (identical to the old bigfoot) and the Z-150 cases are my tops. Again, it's a compromise, because if I persist (on this journey of piling up used and new keyboards and keyboard kits), IBM multi-station 5556 and Northgate Omnikey ULTRA are high up on the list, and also the Wang 724 (725-3770). But my first loves - Silicon Graphics bigfoot and Sun Type-5c (I know it's a rubber dome, I mean the official ones) are with me, I am feeling contended.

I can only imagine the situation for quite a few of the collectors here and there have 60+ or even 100+ and who are mainly collecting and not for resale.

P.s. And I confess, I slightly prefer well-tuned MX linears over the NOS condition Alps SKCL greens I tried, partly because I have much more keycap choice on the MX. I have been planning to dyeing / painting my Z-150 chassis a bit greyish olive green to have a bit of an industrial look to match the yellowed beige caps; I hope Matias will eventually give Alps more keycap choice in 2018.

Myoth

24 Mar 2018, 16:10

Menuhin wrote: It would be nice if you make a thread to show your Alps full house when you have time.
photos-f62/mike52787-s-collection-album-v2-t18493.html

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Mar 2018, 16:12

Menuhin wrote:
mike52787 wrote: I mean you can get lucky of course... I finally managed to snag the last alps switch type I actually wanted to own a few days ago (SKCL brown) for about half what the crazy ebay rate is. deals are out there, you just have to know how to find them.
It would be nice if you make a thread to show your Alps full house when you have time.

It's not a bottomless pit but having an unpredictable period of time to wait and then an ever rising price of these vintage Alps boards, I decided to stop looking further after getting some greens, oranges, blues, and (common) browns, etc. Types I really want to try are neon-greens, ambers, and stripe-ambers; these are gems that I look forward to see in keyboard meetups. The cases that I didn't feel too bad not keeping was only the very common AEK II. Otherwise, the Silicon graphics case (identical to the old bigfoot) and the Z-150 cases are my tops. Again, it's a compromise, because if I persist (on this journey of piling up used and new keyboards and keyboard kits), IBM multi-station 5556 and Northgate Omnikey ULTRA are high up on the list, and also the Wang 724 (725-3770). But my first loves - Silicon Graphics bigfoot and Sun Type-5c (I know it's a rubber dome, I mean the official ones) are with me, I am feeling contended.

I can only imagine the situation for quite a few of the collectors here and there have 60+ or even 100+ and who are mainly collecting and not for resale.

P.s. And I confess, I slightly prefer well-tuned MX linears over the NOS condition Alps SKCL greens I tried, partly because I have much more keycap choice on the MX. I have been planning to dyeing / painting my Z-150 chassis a bit greyish olive green to have a bit of an industrial look to match the yellowed beige caps; I hope Matias will eventually give Alps more keycap choice in 2018.
sorry to burst your bubble but ive sold 99% of my alps boards
just keeping the ones I truly love, and have big plans for another one

Menuhin

24 Mar 2018, 16:12

mike52787 wrote:
green-squid wrote: I haven't had luck at the flea market recently. Doubt I will.
Not just locally... look in places people don't normally look online, and always be quick about it. good deals dont stay up for long.
Like looking into the 'www' and 'mmm' sections on Craigslist but asking for keyboards instead?
Looking for some inspiration to let me think outside the box.

Menuhin

24 Mar 2018, 16:14

Myoth wrote:
Menuhin wrote: It would be nice if you make a thread to show your Alps full house when you have time.
Ah, I see.
I could not recognize that because Alps does not have a big presence there.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Mar 2018, 16:16

Menuhin wrote:
Myoth wrote:
Ah, I see.
I could not recognize that because Alps does not have a big presence there.
see my reply above

ScottPaladin

27 Mar 2018, 03:38

God damn, that badge is sexy. This board is making it onto my must acquire list.

Return to “Reviews”