A review on the Mechanical Keyboard ACGAM AG109-R

Liron

27 Apr 2018, 14:40

Image Picture of the Keyboard Introduction
Greetings, as my old keyboard broke down I've been searching online for a decent but cheap mechanical keyboard.
My 2 requirements were a keyboard that can last a good time keyboard and one with an appealing design that looks good on my desk.

After checking countless budget mechanical boards I have found the Chinese ACGAM AG109-R, and in this review I'll tell you if it's actually a good bang for you buck after few days of use.

Design
Let's start with the Design, as you've already seen by the picture this keyboard is in no way a TKL form, I've chose a full sized keyboard as I actually quite like using the numpad for various tasks such as using a calculator and binding commands into the num keys in certain games.

The layout is the generic ANSI layout which features 104 keys, nothing extraordinary but I am glad they haven't chose the ISO layout as some companies do, and that's due to the short 'SHIFT' key offered in that layout which caused me often miss-clicks during games due to how small it is.

The keyboard weights 907g which is quite hefty, for me that's a bonus as the heaviness gives it more of a premium feel and helps the keyboard along with the bottom rubber pads not move from its place during use. There are also front feet in the bottom that you can lift up for extra elevation while typing, if you are into that type of thing.

The keyboard uses a brushed aluminum panel and a silver colored strip which goes around the keyboard, both of these features adds to the premium feel and makes the keyboard have that 'clean minimalist look' which I am all for, good move from the company.

The font used on the keycaps got that 'gamery' look on some letters and is oddly designed, I am not the biggest fan of it but for a cheap keyboard I don't mind it.

The lighting the keyboard offers is well implemented, the RGB is displayed nicely and you can clearly see it over the transparent letters and under the keyboard. I'll expand on this part further at the review.
While not everyone is a fan of the 'gimmicky' RGB lighting most mechanical keyboards nowadays offers, personally I don't mind it, I think it adds to the looks and it's a fun feature you can play around with. To those who are not fans I am happy to tell you that you can easily turn off the lighting with a mixture of 2 key presses or change it to a static color you like.

Build Quality
In this section I am happy to tell you the keyboard succeed, the company sent the keyboard packed in multiple layers to protect it all the way from from China. After opening the package I can see the keyboard is built nicely, every button performs as it should and I haven't found any damaged ones. Shaking the keyboard results in no rattling sounds, which means all the internal parts are screwed properly. Well done!

The switches used at the keyboard are the Outemu Blue Switch, an identical chinese version to the more popular Cherry MX Blue. The switches have a great lifespan of 50 million clicks which means they aren't suppose to fail you even after a long time of owning the keyboard. I'll give more details on the switch and my experience with it in a different section.
Image Close look of the switch after removing a key cap The keycaps are double-shot ABS, which means the letters are a different piece of plastic meaning the chances of them fading away are low, this is a good move from the manufacturer not to cheap out on this part, we all know the frustrating phenomenon of the letters fading away on a cheap board and ruining the aesthetics of it.

The typing & gaming experience
We've reached the section which is in my opinion the most important - How does the keyboard feel to use? It's important for us to feel comfortable typing and playing on the keyboard so we won't get distracted by inconveniences.

I've decided to record a short typing test so you can hear the sounds produced from pressing the switches, you can see for yourself if you like them or not.
[/center] My score in that test - 100 WPM As you can hear the switches produces very clicky & clacky sounds and in no way are quiet compared to the regular membrane switches often found in cheap boards, the user can feel each press he's doing on the buttons as they are very tactile.

the switches offer tactile bump to prevent accidental key presses meaning there's a longer actuation point before registering a click. Personally I enjoy this feature of the switch as I hate miss-clicking while typing or gaming.

The feel of the dominant sound of the switch actuating varies from person to person, often people find the sounds produced very satisfying and enjoyable to hear, some rather have quieter boards. Personally I like having the feedback of each key being pressed and in gaming, with the audio of the game running in my headphones, I could barely hear the keyboard, so the sound doesn't bother me.

I only recommended this keyboard for home usage, as in a work environment with co-workers around you they might not enjoy hearing your keyboard constantly being pressed near them while they are trying to work.

Lighting and programming the keyboard

The lights of the keyboard are customize-able using the FN+F keys (F5-F12), which is a good thing for me as I don't need to install any external program to control the lights because it can be done quickly with some key combos.

However, for those who do enjoy having a program the company also added one where you can customize the lighting modes even more, the software can be installed using a disk located in the keyboard package or using a download link found in ACGAM's website.

In the software the lights can show lots of different modes like: The letter G, Heart, Caterpillar, Tank, you can set the colors to react to your presses in different modes or customize each keycap to it's color and more.

The software also offers button programming for different functions such as shortcuts to favorite programs, setting buttons to control the sound level of the PC, using the mouse buttons through the keyboard and etc.
For those who are interested there are also 'Macro' section in the software.
[/center] Video of me showing some lighting modes Summary
I must say I have been enjoying the keyboard more than I thought I would, the switches work well both for gaming and typing, the aesthetics are rather clean and contribute to the premium feel of the board despite being cheap, the build quality is pretty much flawless and the lighting modes are quite good looking and offer large diversity which you can test in your free time.

I definitely recommend this keyboard to replace the usual cheap office board if it's dying or you are just feeling fancy, as you can see from the review I am sure the keyboard won't fail you and even live over your standards, especially for the price, which is by the way, only $45 currently on the popular shopping site geekbuying.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/ACGAM-A ... 81039.html
link for those who are interested

Thanks a lot for reading my review! I am open to hear any feedback about my writing and interested to read your thoughts and questions if you have any on the keyboard.

Here are some extra pictures of the board including the package: https://imgur.com/a/FHIKBKA

Cheers!
Last edited by Liron on 27 Apr 2018, 17:20, edited 3 times in total.

chzel

27 Apr 2018, 15:04

Hmmmm.....
Spoiler:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

27 Apr 2018, 15:11

Call me a skeptic, but this reads more like an advertisement that a review... Let's see. Ah, so it is an advertisement! :roll:

Liron

27 Apr 2018, 15:27

Blaise170 wrote: Call me a skeptic, but this reads more like an advertisement that a review... Let's see. Ah, so it is an advertisement! :roll:

That's not cool not including the whole disclaimer:

Meaning my review was 100% non-biased there as I already bought the mouse once

Secondly, this product I admit I didn't put a disclaimer to that they gave me it for a review, however does it really matter? Go ahead and read my review and you'll see it's 100% non biased, I am not a personality and don't have any motives to lie to you about the product 'quality', haven't signed any contract with ACGAM, they just seen my mouse review and from liking it they wanted me to also do a keyboard review. So basically I can also say I didn't like the product like I did with their mouse saying the shape wasn't for me
Last edited by Liron on 27 Apr 2018, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

chzel

27 Apr 2018, 15:32

chzel wrote: Hmmmm.....
Spoiler:

Liron

27 Apr 2018, 15:39

chzel wrote:
chzel wrote: Hmmmm.....
Spoiler:
To what? Copy a sentence from my review making you think my review is 'biased' and I'll gladly response to that. Maybe I phrased my title badly and if that's the case then I apologize but it wasn't my intentions to make a bad title and I now edited that.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

27 Apr 2018, 15:40

It matters not that you are reviewing a free product, however passing off your review as an unbiased and random occurrence does.
Liron wrote: I've been searching online for a decent but cheap mechanical keyboard.
So you weren't searching for one, you were contacted by them. There's a huge difference. Of course you can claim that your "review was 100% non-biased there as [you] already bought the mouse once" but frankly reviewing a free product does leave room for bias. Trust me, I've done hundreds of reviews for Chinese manufacturers and leaving a bad review means you stop getting free products, so there's naturally a desire to leave a good review.

chzel

27 Apr 2018, 15:46

Let's start from your motives. Why did you come here to review it?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

27 Apr 2018, 15:49

People who don't realize what a pathetic sellout it is to review "free" stuff they got from companies are jokes.

By now this is really a common scheme and a real disease online. One of the reasons I trust verified Amazon reviews more than ANY tech blogger or youtube channel. You're either too naive to realize how you get manipulated when you receive free stuff or you're putting a very low price tag on your integrity here when you become their marketing sock puppet for a shitty china keyboard.

Liron

27 Apr 2018, 15:57

Blaise170 wrote: It matters not that you are reviewing a free product, however passing off your review as an unbiased and random occurrence does.
Liron wrote: I've been searching online for a decent but cheap mechanical keyboard.
So you weren't searching for one, you were contacted by them. There's a huge difference. Of course you can claim that your "review was 100% non-biased there as [you] already bought the mouse once" but frankly reviewing a free product does leave room for bias. Trust me, I've done hundreds of reviews for Chinese manufacturers and leaving a bad review means you stop getting free products, so there's naturally a desire to leave a good review.
If legit the keyboards breaks after a certain period of time, I'll gladly update my review saying so, currently it works good and that's coming from a very picky person, I returned mice because they had minor rattling sounds inside them but it disturbed me.

Also I was searching for mechanical keyboards long time before I even met ACGAM but I always held back as I had other important things to do than buy another gaming product, in one of the searches in Aliexpress I found their keyboard and saw some reviews but I didn't buy it due to the reason listed above.

The reason I agreed to review this keyboard since the first place is because I loved their mouse, don't get me wrong I said the shape wasn't for me and for other users with big hands that like to palm mice but the other aspects of the mouse - Weight, Build Quality, Sensor, Software, Price and etc were perfect for me. I only review products I see they have potential for them, this chinese keyboard, even though there are many other chinese competitors, sells at decent price point, got good build which didn't irritate me and the RGB works well.
chzel wrote: Let's start from your motives. Why did you come here to review it?
Honestly I post more on reddit, but there isn't really a sub there (at least popular one) to post reviews on Mechanical Keyboards. (/r/MechanicalKeyboards is for hardcore modders)

So obviously I've been looking for places that allow to review Mem-Keyboards you own and I found this forum, website allows it I've done it here.

Why I do reviews? Well I love reviewing things I buy and it started with mice, second reason is that I am not a native English speaker and writing reviews helps me improve my language skills.
Wodan wrote: People who don't realize what a pathetic sellout it is to review "free" stuff they got from companies are jokes.

By now this is really a common scheme and a real disease online. One of the reasons I trust verified Amazon reviews more than ANY tech blogger or youtube channel.
Honestly I don't think my review would be any different if I haven't received it for free, I don't have any financial issues nor the chinese keyboard is any expensive. I've been wanting to buy a Mechanical Keyboard for a long time anyways and review it so this was pretty comfortable for me.

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Apr 2018, 20:19

Well, if this is your first mechanical keyboard, shouldn't you refrain from making reviews, until after you got at least several mechanical keyboards, so you can have some experience and something else to compare with? Especially on a forum dedicated to mechanical keyboards.

Liron

27 Apr 2018, 21:25

Laser wrote: Well, if this is your first mechanical keyboard, shouldn't you refrain from making reviews, until after you got at least several mechanical keyboards, so you can have some experience and something else to compare with? Especially on a forum dedicated to mechanical keyboards.
I based my review on various reviews online, both on youtube and written I read, I've read about each switch features multiple times, it's not like I came without knowing anything. Besides this is how I learn more on the subject, by actually trying and hearing feedback. We both know this keyboard isn't made for the enthusiasts, but it's sure a good board for new starters who wanna try their first mechanical keyboard and looking for something cheap, yet still works well.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

27 Apr 2018, 21:57

Here's my primary issue with this keyboard - it's a cheap Chinese keyboard that doesn't distinguish itself from the hundreds (probably thousands) of other manufacturers out there that sell their boards for much cheaper.

Exhibit A: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... t=8#detail

Basically the exact same thing, on sale now for a whopping $18.83. I could probably find one even cheaper (and I have) but don't want to spend time wading through the pages of crap on Taobao.

j0d1

27 Apr 2018, 23:00

I have seen this keyboard a million times, with the same layout, switches, RGB, keycaps, etc. It has no soul.
The review definitely reads like an advertissement to people who just discovered mechanical keyboards and have 50$ to spend.

Elrick

28 Apr 2018, 03:16

j0d1 wrote: I have seen this keyboard a million times, with the same layout, switches, RGB, keycaps, etc. It has no soul.
100% CORRECT ;) .
j0d1 wrote: The review definitely reads like an advertissement to people who just discovered mechanical keyboards and have 50$ to spend.
I'm more THICK skinned to these type of PROMO's masquerading as so-called reviews, just flip through You Tube and be drowned in it.

Just the new way of selling mediocre crap pretending to be something "Unique" or "Brilliant" for the price.

As I have now ventured away from the Cherry boredom (except for Kailh BOX Blue Navy's) nothing new is out there in the world of Cherry switches. The Kailh Factory should be their saviour, simply due to the Chinese who would rather invest in delivering something more to their traditional switch, than what Cherry Corp has done for the previous 30 years.

I think the Kailh company has many good years left in them to produce even better versions of what was previously released, so they alone are carrying the torch for new Cherry-like Switches in the 21st century.

Unfortunately for this keyboard on review, it doesn't have Box Navy's hence it's just ordinary garbage ready for Land-fill.

davkol

30 Apr 2018, 13:50

It's hilarious how OP tries hard to avoid saying anything negative about the keyboard and polishes even dubious points to sound positive, sometimes by distorting reality.
The layout is the generic ANSI layout which features 104 keys, nothing extraordinary but I am glad they haven't chose the ISO layout as some companies do, and that's due to the short 'SHIFT' key offered in that layout which caused me often miss-clicks during games due to how small it is.
The switches used at the keyboard are the Outemu Blue Switch, an identical chinese version to the more popular Cherry MX Blue. The switches have a great lifespan of 50 million clicks which means they aren't suppose to fail you even after a long time of owning the keyboard.
The keycaps are double-shot ABS, which means the letters are a different piece of plastic meaning the chances of them fading away are low, this is a good move from the manufacturer not to cheap out on this part, we all know the frustrating phenomenon of the letters fading away on a cheap board and ruining the aesthetics of it.
However, for those who do enjoy having a program the company also added one where you can customize the lighting modes even more, the software can be installed using a disk located in the keyboard package or using a download link found in ACGAM's website.
I bet OP is a professional copywriter supported by the vendor to shill.

Return to “Reviews”