Wooting One review (Adomax Flaretech B)

Chyros

26 May 2018, 14:27

Today we look at the Wooting One, an analog optical keyboard using the Adomax Flaretech switches I did a Teardown on recently. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Iggy

26 May 2018, 15:18

UT99! Awesome! Man, the memories I have of that game. 8-) I love Blur as well.

The Wooting Two is about to be launched on Kickstarter and I'm thinking of getting it.

Chyros

26 May 2018, 15:52

Iggy wrote: UT99! Awesome! Man, the memories I have of that game. 8-) I love Blur as well.
You have good taste 8) .

Maybe I should do all my reviews with Go Down playing in the background from now on, too ^^ .

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 May 2018, 16:08

if you could somehow get one of the topre analog boards I would be very interested to see a review of it, but those things are kindof unobtanium.

TuxKey
LLAP

26 May 2018, 22:20

i like the effort Wooting put in to this board. They even went as far as to drop by my house to have a nice sparing session on keyboard design likes dislikes irritations in mechanical keyboard world. That's how involved Wooting is.. try to find that level of commitment from the big brands. Time & Time again i have noticed that small businesses companies that are managed by families generational companies are on a different level when it comes to commitment to quality and support. I really hope Wooting follows the same practices..Everything lies in the details everyone can use a flaretech switch. But Wooting's commitment with the software development and product R&D should tell you all you need to know .. To bad i'm not a gamer so it's not really a keyboard for me.. So greetings From The Netherlands Den Haag..

kvad

27 May 2018, 01:23

That was nice timing - been considering the Wooting this weekend.
Beyond it's smoothness, how does it feel for typing alone?
Currently using a Novatouch, but getting a wee bit tired of the rattle, and I've gotten allergic to the ping from my MX Blue (but otherwise like both of them for entirely different reasons).

__red__

27 May 2018, 02:28

hmm, curious.

Can you buy the switch modules and is there a datasheet?

Chyros

27 May 2018, 02:32

__red__ wrote: hmm, curious.

Not sure tbh.
kvad wrote: That was nice timing - been considering the Wooting this weekend.
Beyond it's smoothness, how does it feel for typing alone?
Currently using a Novatouch, but getting a wee bit tired of the rattle, and I've gotten allergic to the ping from my MX Blue (but otherwise like both of them for entirely different reasons).
They are extremely light. I make a lot of mistakes while typing by just brushing my fingers along the caps, so I would advise either setting the actuation point deeper, so going for some stiffer springs. Other than that, and the lack of a numpad, it types very nicely :) .

Sangdrax

27 May 2018, 07:38

I like everything about this but the switch weight and the floating keys. But pretty much all my complaints could be solved with some very simple mods on my part. I really like how they actually implemented all the analog functionality into the firmware too, since you can certainly squeeze analog behavior out of switches like capacitive linears or hall effect, but I've never seen them actually used for such.

Really cool to see some interesting tech keyboards coming out like this.

kvad

27 May 2018, 13:21

Chyros wrote: They are extremely light. I make a lot of mistakes while typing by just brushing my fingers along the caps, so I would advise either setting the actuation point deeper, so going for some stiffer springs. Other than that, and the lack of a numpad, it types very nicely :) .
Thanks, I'll give it a go! For people in Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland there's a sale on the Wooting Red and Blue (the Premium was also on sale, but sadly not any left now) at Proshop for aproximately €80.

__red__

27 May 2018, 15:58

Chyros wrote:
__red__ wrote: hmm, curious.

Not sure tbh.
I just asked. I'll report here when I get a response.

chuckdee

27 May 2018, 16:13

^ Thanks for doing that. I like the idea of the switches, but the layout just won't work for me.

depletedvespene

27 May 2018, 17:09

I know some people don't care, but I do: where is the Scroll Lock key?! Is it, at least, mappable to somewhere else through the Wootility program?

(I did notice the Wooting Two does have it)

__red__

29 May 2018, 00:07

chuckdee wrote: ^ Thanks for doing that. I like the idea of the switches, but the layout just won't work for me.
The response I got basically said: "We've not sold them individually before, but we are selling them as a part of our kickstarter".

chuckdee

29 May 2018, 01:13

I haven't gotten a response yet... I asked about different layouts/form factors.

But thanks again for asking... I'll keep an eye out. I wasn't sure that they could just be used in any board.

ajs124

29 May 2018, 23:58

The kickstarter rewards preview on their blog lists numbers and prices for switch packs. 12 go for 15€ and 110 for 45€.

chuckdee

30 May 2018, 04:29

ajs124 wrote: The kickstarter rewards preview on their blog lists numbers and prices for switch packs. 12 go for 15€ and 110 for 45€.
But can you use those with standard PCBs?

codemonkeymike

30 May 2018, 04:39

chuckdee wrote:
ajs124 wrote: The kickstarter rewards preview on their blog lists numbers and prices for switch packs. 12 go for 15€ and 110 for 45€.
But can you use those with standard PCBs?
No, the need a light sensor and emitter

chuckdee

30 May 2018, 04:44

So they are of limited use. It's basically only for people that have v1 and want to get a different set of switches.

Menuhin

04 Jun 2018, 22:12

Really interested in trying out this keyboard (and of those the switches) in a shop or in a meetup.

"Wooting" - names with an "-[vowel]ng" have a high chance to be related to Chinese, and I didn't know it isn't a Chinese keyboard. Hope they have heavy linear (spring) and perhaps a plan of some smaller size models, e.g. 75%, 60%.

__red__

05 Jun 2018, 18:17

chuckdee wrote: So they are of limited use. It's basically only for people that have v1 and want to get a different set of switches.
... or those of us who want to build a custom analog keyb/controller.

I asked about example emitters / detectors, pcb landing patterns and never heard back.

If there is sufficient interest I may end up REing those parts

__red__

12 Jun 2018, 13:37

To update:
1. they've not replied to my request for recommended IR emitters / receivers via email or social.
2. I just noticed that their US store is actually within a few miles of my house.

chuckdee

12 Jun 2018, 19:50

__red__ wrote: To update:
1. they've not replied to my request for recommended IR emitters / receivers via email or social.
2. I just noticed that their US store is actually within a few miles of my house.
I don't really expect them to, as that seems as if it would be proprietary information. They've developed the switches, they probably want to keep them to their boards. Which was what I was saying about above... they made them available for people that have their own boards, most likely.

__red__

14 Jun 2018, 00:21

In the interests of full disclosure they've replied now and we're having some conversations. I'll update when I have more.

Return to “Reviews”