The Ultimate IBM Model F review (XT, AT, F104, F122, 5291, 4704 etc.)

Chyros

09 Jun 2018, 11:16

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you; the ultimate Model F review! Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Iggy

09 Jun 2018, 12:32

Very nice video. And thanks for quoting my favourite Red Alert tank!

depletedvespene

09 Jun 2018, 12:55

Great video.

That said, if you ever manage to find that F-numpad that can be seen alongside the Unsaver in that picture, you owe to the entire planet to do a full review for it. :)

Chyros

09 Jun 2018, 13:02

depletedvespene wrote: Great video.

That said, if you ever manage to find that F-numpad that can be seen alongside the Unsaver in that picture, you owe to the entire planet to do a full review for it. :)
Well yeah, of course xD . I'd make a full F workstation out of it!

Elrick

10 Jun 2018, 03:01

Onya for categorizing the Model-F series, isn't easy but you managed to show all the relevant models.

Never knew you were such a Crazed IBM fanatic, good to see someone who can walk the walk and do the talk, at the same time ;) .

YES they are unique and it's now they're all fetching such great interest from the public at large. Amazing seeing now defunct technology being worshiped again.

Mind you they were far superior to everything else that was produced, they humiliate the cheap garbage being sold at local stores today.

Bass

11 Jun 2018, 17:53

Nice video, I actually thought that you were going to do an F107 review when you were asking for the weights recently since it was absent from your list and is notoriously known as being the heaviest Model F keyboard. I just got one myself and even now I find the weight quite surprising for its size, it's nearly as heavy as my beamsprings, and it's much thinner!

At some point, are you also planning on doing a thorough sound comparison of the Model F's when you do your F107 review? That is, all plastic case (AT) vs plastic top (XT or 122) vs all metal (4704 series). One thing that surprised me about my F107 is that it sounded rather muted compared to my AT and XT, almost no ping. Haven't torn it down yet but I am guessing the foam might have something to do with it, since it's unrestored?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 Jun 2018, 17:56

Speaking of cases, I was actually quite surprised that the 5155 is all plastic. I know that it was supposed to be a portable PC, but I don't think the extra 500 grams or less of weight would have hurt since it already weighed like 14kg.

Chyros

11 Jun 2018, 20:34

Bass wrote: Nice video, I actually thought that you were going to do an F107 review when you were asking for the weights recently since it was absent from your list and is notoriously known as being the heaviest Model F keyboard.
One doesn't rule out the other :p .

Might do an F sound test at some point.
Blaise170 wrote: Speaking of cases, I was actually quite surprised that the 5155 is all plastic. I know that it was supposed to be a portable PC, but I don't think the extra 500 grams or less of weight would have hurt since it already weighed like 14kg.
I just think they tried to save weight wherever they could. Imagine how heavy it would've been if they hadn't! xD

depletedvespene

11 Jun 2018, 20:45

Chyros wrote:
Bass wrote: Nice video, I actually thought that you were going to do an F107 review when you were asking for the weights recently since it was absent from your list and is notoriously known as being the heaviest Model F keyboard.
One doesn't rule out the other :p .

Might do an F sound test at some point.
You should do a video like the ASMR one, but just with each of the IBM keyboards you own. Start with the Selectric, then the beamsprings, then the F XT and F variants, then the M units.

(just omit the M2 keyboards, though :? )

xueyao

12 Jun 2018, 00:53

Would love to see a beamspring compilation! The project would be big and it'll cost a small fortune to ship, but the thought of gathering as many beamspring in one video is an amazing idea.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

JP!

21 Jun 2018, 03:57

xueyao wrote: Would love to see a beamspring compilation! The project would be big and it'll cost a small fortune to ship, but the thought of gathering as many beamspring in one video is an amazing idea.

Yes that would be awesome. Just imagine a bunch of them in one location.
Spoiler:
beamers.jpg
beamers.jpg (396.25 KiB) Viewed 3280 times

depletedvespene

21 Jun 2018, 04:00

Get six extra hands and start filming, mister!!!

codemonkeymike

21 Jun 2018, 04:14

JP! wrote:
xueyao wrote: Would love to see a beamspring compilation! The project would be big and it'll cost a small fortune to ship, but the thought of gathering as many beamspring in one video is an amazing idea.

Yes that would be awesome. Just imagine a bunch of them in one location.
Spoiler:
beamers.jpg
It could be a compilation with multiple beamspring owners and their opinions on the boards along with a typing demo

Return to “Reviews”