Magnavox Videowriter review (Alps SKCM Brown)

Chyros

30 Jun 2018, 13:30

Today we finally tackle brown Alps! Hope you enjoy the video :) .

depletedvespene

30 Jun 2018, 14:10

Good video, although I wish you had talked a bit more about the Alps SKCL compact switches.

About that... considering that these and the 5140 keyboards are usually harvested for their brown Alps switches, to be used on 60% builds, and that the SKCL compact ones (plus their caps) seem to be ignored, how about... collecting a few sets of those and making a smaller (compact-er) keyboard meant for small hands (like those of kids, just like you had mentioned in the Bigkeys LX video)?

Chyros

30 Jun 2018, 15:38

depletedvespene wrote: Good video, although I wish you had talked a bit more about the Alps SKCL compact switches.

About that... considering that these and the 5140 keyboards are usually harvested for their brown Alps switches, to be used on 60% builds, and that the SKCL compact ones (plus their caps) seem to be ignored, how about... collecting a few sets of those and making a smaller (compact-er) keyboard meant for small hands (like those of kids, just like you had mentioned in the Bigkeys LX video)?
SKCL Compact have fairly limited uses unfortunately. The thing you describe would need.... inordinate amounts of custom materials to function xD .

Bass

01 Jul 2018, 04:13

Nice to see you finally tackle brown alps. I actually got some brown alps boards myself recently including a videowriter and I also wish I could easily convert it instead of using it as a switch donor. The layout is actually pretty decent but more importantly it sounds much better in comparison to an Alps64 custom I have with the same switches. Alps definitely benefits from beefy plastic enclosures in regards to sound.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

01 Jul 2018, 21:32

So, Chyros, the big question is how do these rank in your tactile alps list?

NeXT is SKCM cream, right? (see what I did there?)

Chyros

01 Jul 2018, 22:04

//gainsborough wrote: So, Chyros, the big question is how do these rank in your tactile alps list?

NeXT is SKCM cream, right? (see what I did there?)
Yes, an SKCM Cream NeXT will probably be next, if only because I've done almost all the other types of Alps by now xD . Where I'm going to get a pristine one of them, I'm really not sure yet xD .

I still prefer SKCM Orange to these, mostly due to the weighting. They are excellent tactile switches regardless :) .

Scarpia

02 Jul 2018, 20:01

I loved this video....... Thanks Chyros!

Chyros

02 Jul 2018, 23:10

Scarpia wrote: I loved this video....... Thanks Chyros!
Glad you enjoyed it :) .

kakan

03 Jul 2018, 02:00

Great video as always! I wish I had a full board like that, I'm digging the feel on them even tho my switches are rather beat up.

Return to “Reviews”