Franklin FKB-3 review (Multitech foam and foil)

Chyros

28 Jul 2018, 10:51

Today we look at a slick keyboard, the history of Franklin Computer, and a new switch type. Hope you enjoy! :)

Elrick

28 Jul 2018, 11:29

The Sound it makes whilst you were typing, isn't bad or atrocious in any way.

I know the out right hatred here on DT for any type of Foam and Foil keyboard but this one you've selected is the BEST looking one thus far.

Even though the key-caps are first class you couldn't use it on any other keyboard hence you're stuck with this non-working one. Shame it didn't connect to anything but if you ever come across a Franklin Computer, then you MUST plug it in to see if it registers with it's old PC setup.

Could/Might only work with it's original config, which some manufacturers specifically designed it to (evil tossers).

Nice review, as always thanks for providing some more insight into the world of OLD keyboards from the 80's.

Sangdrax

28 Jul 2018, 22:48

Shame that they're scratchy. I always found the saving grace of the really old foam and foil boards to be their smoothness and nice caps.

Polecat

29 Jul 2018, 01:46

Chyros wrote: Today we look at a slick keyboard, the history of Franklin Computer, and a new switch type. Hope you enjoy! :)
Interesting, thanks as always! I found one of these recently and mine has a different (later?) PC board. There are three jumper positions on mine, and it came with none of them connected. Powering up in native PS/2 or with a Soarers lights up all four LEDS and no activity. Putting a jumper on JP2 lights only the power LED, but still no activity. The lock LEDs don't toggle on mine. I tried all combinations of the three jumpers, with no success. I don't think the controller is dead, since the jumper does change the LED behavior, so it's probably an unsupported protocol. From a Geekhack thread the Alps version of the KB-084 (KB-084AS) also doesn't seem to speak AT despite the markings on the PC boards and the presence of a SysRq key:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.1200

I'm going to try to get mine working, one way or another, and I'll post any updates.

Elrick

29 Jul 2018, 03:34

Polecat wrote: I'm going to try to get mine working, one way or another, and I'll post any updates.
If you ever do get it to work on any modern PC, watch the cost of these keyboards sky rocket as Flebay then profits from that information.

Polecat

30 Jul 2018, 05:35

Elrick wrote:
Polecat wrote: I'm going to try to get mine working, one way or another, and I'll post any updates.
If you ever do get it to work on any modern PC, watch the cost of these keyboards sky rocket as Flebay then profits from that information.
Well if you see one on ebay in any condition I'd sure like to know about it, since I need some parts to fix mine. I bought mine there a couple months back, 20 bucks or so, and I haven't seen another one since. Ebay is what it is, supply and demand, like any other market, but like the government they take a chunk every time money changes hands.

haanuman

07 Aug 2018, 09:04

Pretty slick and sick keyboard, I like the click and clacks.

Return to “Reviews”