MonkeyKing Custom iGK61 review (Kailh BOX Royal)

Chyros

04 Aug 2018, 12:05

Tackling BOX Royals on a hot-swappable keyboard this week, hope you enjoy :) .

Sangdrax

04 Aug 2018, 14:30

Them going clicky after awhile is interesting. That the contact leaf popping back against the case after the slider bump goes by?

Chyros

04 Aug 2018, 15:57

Sangdrax wrote: Them going clicky after awhile is interesting. That the contact leaf popping back against the case after the slider bump goes by?
I suspect so, although I'm not sure. Can't think of what else it could be, at least.

zrrion

04 Aug 2018, 19:21

It is interesting that you like skcc and skcl green for being linear switch with a tactile component but dislike mx tactile switches for feeling like a linear switch with a tactile component.

I hope that once they get the stem issue fixed they can come out with some dampened boxes.

Chyros

04 Aug 2018, 20:12

zrrion wrote: It is interesting that you like skcc and skcl green for being linear switch with a tactile component but dislike mx tactile switches for feeling like a linear switch with a tactile component.
I've pondered that too xD . I guess the overall quality just feels a lot better to me on SKCC and SKCL. I didn't even like linears until I tried SKCL green.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Aug 2018, 08:47

Hm ... you like clicky switches so much, even your favourite tactile switch is clicky?

If there was just a linear switch that had a crispy click, you‘d be all set.

Elrick

05 Aug 2018, 11:03

Wodan wrote: Hm ... you like clicky switches so much, even your favourite tactile switch is clicky?
EVERY normal human loves "Clicky" switches, it's only those 'special' people who fancy "Linears' :? .

Still no antidote for those less fortunate when it comes to truly appreciating that special click sound at one's finger tips ;) .

Laser
emacs -nw

05 Aug 2018, 11:35

Elrick wrote: EVERY normal human loves "Clicky" switches, it's only those 'special' people who fancy "Linears' :? .
Another certitude regarding the whole humanity, normality and 'special'-ness, coming from Elrick, known for his normally voiced opinions since the dawns of creation :P

Chyros

05 Aug 2018, 12:12

Wodan wrote: Hm ... you like clicky switches so much, even your favourite tactile switch is clicky?
I wouldn't say this is my favourite tactile switch overall, but it's an interesting coincidence, yes xD .
If there was just a linear switch that had a crispy click, you‘d be all set.
Hmm, that'd be very enticing, I think. Though a nice bottom-out thock is not a bad replacement for the moment ^^ .

scottc

05 Aug 2018, 12:36

I thought that box whites almost felt like a linear switch with a click. :lol: No tactility apart from the teeny clicker.

Chyros

05 Aug 2018, 12:58

scottc wrote: I thought that box whites almost felt like a linear switch with a click. :lol: No tactility apart from the teeny clicker.
Heh, yeah, that's true, but although they sound better than MX blue IMO, they REALLY don't beat the sound of any of my favourite linears xD .

scottc

05 Aug 2018, 13:04

It's hard to sound worse than MX blue... at least they don't have the rattle, despite still being high-pitched and shallow-sounding.

Elrick

06 Aug 2018, 04:33

scottc wrote: I thought that box whites almost felt like a linear switch with a click. :lol: No tactility apart from the teeny clicker.
Incorrect, the click is right at the top of the switch when it's pressed. Uses the weakest spring, far quieter in the click range, that is why I love the BOX Navy's with their stronger spring and decently loud actuation, when you press them you know you're in Clicky territory and not residing in Mush town, like where all the Zealio mutants inhabit.

Have four keyboards with BOX Navy's fitted and they are far more 'clicky' than anything within the Cherry MX or Zealio range.

Funny how someone mentions 'Tactility' yet the Click range of Kailh Switches are far greater than anything produced by any other manufacturer in the MX realm.

Some clowns here on OCN mistakenly think that any of the Zealio rubbish has any Tactility, they DON'T and have none whatsoever even though I made the error of purchasing previous keyboards with Zealio 62, 67 and 78g ratings. They're a waste of money if you want proper clicky/tactile feeling switches because their switches are all Linear in feel, barely even giving any feedback like some cheap rubber dome switch but are in fact, very expensive (don't know why).

If anyone wants a TRUE clicky switch which is made today not 50 years ago, then the Kailh BOX range is it, there is nothing else being made that gives greater feedback to your fingers than them. Of course best to use some cheap Key-set with the current range of BOX switches ;) .

zslane

09 Mar 2019, 20:12

So the iGK61 has a "Poker layout" but can it be re-cased with Poker-compatible 3rd party cases?

Return to “Reviews”