Bad experience with Tai-Hao APC switches

abrahamstechnology

17 Sep 2018, 23:11

Hello,
I bought a small amount of Tai-Hao APC Blue clicky switches, and they were very disappointing.
Which is a shame, as I had high hopes for them, but they had such inconsistent clicks, and of the few I left in one AT101's function row, they all went practically linear! I don't know if the AliExpress seller scammed me and sold me factory rejects, or testing samples that were already tested 20 million times, but I'm glad I only bought a few. Copper seems like a terrible material for a click leaf anyway, since it's very easy to bend. For now I'm sticking to Matias, as the wide steel click leaf is tried and true.

Myoth

17 Sep 2018, 23:16

The more I've heard about these switches, the more I think that they were made for being buttons rather than keys. The only thing bothering me about this "theory" is that we've seen keyboards with them.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

18 Sep 2018, 04:01

Considering Tai-Hao is well known for their keyboard business, I have my doubts that these switches were designed for anything but. On the other hand, these seem to have mostly been found in low use environments (like server rooms) so longevity probably wasn't as high of a priority. If these really are so inconsistent, that's really quite disappointing as feel wise I think they are a close second to SKCM Blue. I was planning on maybe buying a 100 of these and building a TKL but I think I'll scrap that plan now.

abrahamstechnology

19 Sep 2018, 04:01

Blaise170 wrote: Considering Tai-Hao is well known for their keyboard business, I have my doubts that these switches were designed for anything but. On the other hand, these seem to have mostly been found in low use environments (like server rooms) so longevity probably wasn't as high of a priority. If these really are so inconsistent, that's really quite disappointing as feel wise I think they are a close second to SKCM Blue. I was planning on maybe buying a 100 of these and building a TKL but I think I'll scrap that plan now.
Did you try vintage ones or the modern ones with the copper so-called click leaf?

abrahamstechnology

19 Sep 2018, 04:07

Myoth wrote: The more I've heard about these switches, the more I think that they were made for being buttons rather than keys. The only thing bothering me about this "theory" is that we've seen keyboards with them.
Originally they had a wide steel Alps-like click leaf, but some time down the road they changed to the small copper ones.

I don't know, maybe the AliExpress seller sold me a bunch of duds that were already tested 20 million times. Maybe that's what Tai-Hao's 20 million guarantee is for, not the electrical integrity.

I'd like to order some from Tai-Hao directly, but they aren't in their shop, and they never responded to my inquiry (I hear Tai-Hao is notorious for not responding)

Elrick

23 Sep 2018, 04:15

abrahamstechnology wrote: I'd like to order some from Tai-Hao directly, but they aren't in their shop, and they never responded to my inquiry (I hear Tai-Hao is notorious for not responding)
If you speak and type in their language, you MIGHT get a response ;) .

Always found that when it comes to dealing with us evil westerners with our monotonous languages and customs, the Asian people who aren't too knowledgeable, will refrain from communicating.

Also another well found edict from various corporations in Asia is that if ANY request is not in line with their company policies, then any worker (not management) must not engage with 'outsiders' - regardless of any situation.

Return to “Reviews”