HHKB Type-S review (silenced Topre)

Chyros

17 Nov 2018, 12:46

As some might have expected, here's a full review of the Type-S keyboards I showed in the recent Top X most silent switches video. Hope you enjoy! :)

Sangdrax

17 Nov 2018, 19:12

I always like the sound comparisons you do, really gives a proper feel for how loud or quiet something is and the tone. Man, the pricetag on those though. I think I paid like $15 shipped for my NIB BTC 5149 and $45 for my NIB ITW low profile Battleship. And I sure prefer the feel of the first and the tech of the second.

Elrick

19 Nov 2018, 03:34

Thanks for the review and YES the Spacebar sounds like some el-cheapo quality junk pile keyboard.

Amazing asking for over $300+USD on a keyboard and having that awful sounding rubbish space bar as a permanent reminder and perhaps buyers remorse, in acquiring it in the first place.

Of course you will never get any disturbed HHKB owner to admit that fallacy but at least we got an unbiased review of this so-called, famous keyboard.

Nice one Chyros, get back to no pulling punches review of even more keyboards please. We all want to see even more RAW and pertinent reviews that are not shy in showing how each keyboard sounds when used.

Also please get back to looking at "Clicky" keyboards, all this 'Thorpie' adoration leaves me feeling quite weak and malnourished for some earth-shattering keyboards that move mountains and rivers when used.
Last edited by Elrick on 19 Nov 2018, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.

samuelcable

19 Nov 2018, 03:38

Elrick wrote: Thanks for the review and YES the Spacebar sounds like some el-cheapo quality junk pile keyboard.

Amazing asking for over $300+USD on a keyboard and having that awful sounding rubbish space bar as a permanent reminder and perhaps buyers remorse, in acquiring it in the first place.

Of course you will never get any disturbed HHKB owner to admit that fallacy but at least we got an unbiased review of this so-called, famous keyboard.

Nice one Chyros, get back to no pulling punches review of even more keyboards please.
To be fair a lot of keyboards are ruined by the sound of their spacebar stabilizer, many typing demonstrations of alps keyboards sounds bad because of a bad metallic clank of the spacebar stabilizer. You can not judge the type s on that if even great keyboards like the Acer KB-101A has a rattly stab

Elrick

19 Nov 2018, 03:43

samuelcable wrote: To be fair a lot of keyboards are ruined by the sound of their spacebar stabilizer, many typing demonstrations of alps keyboards sounds bad because of a bad metallic clank of the spacebar stabilizer. You can not judge the type s on that if even great keyboards like the Acer KB-101A has a rattly stab
Funny thing is that stabs on Cherry based keyboards can be tuned to having a very low sounding, less rattling compared to nearly all other designed keyboards.

Not saying Cherry rules here by any means but do have some custom keyboards, built with decent stabs that are very solid and low sounding when used. Suppose the Lube and quality stabs were used but they alone seem to be the predominant keyboards, with equal sounding and decent key-presses.

Just surprised that a NEW keyboard for $300+USD would avoid upgrading their space bar, unless some hard core HHKB owner decides never to use it at all..... ;)

samuelcable

19 Nov 2018, 03:55

Elrick wrote:
samuelcable wrote: To be fair a lot of keyboards are ruined by the sound of their spacebar stabilizer, many typing demonstrations of alps keyboards sounds bad because of a bad metallic clank of the spacebar stabilizer. You can not judge the type s on that if even great keyboards like the Acer KB-101A has a rattly stab
Funny thing is that stabs on Cherry based keyboards can be tuned to having a very low sounding, less rattling compared to nearly all other designed keyboards.

Not saying Cherry rules here by any means but do have some custom keyboards, built with decent stabs that are very solid and low sounding when used. Suppose the Lube and quality stabs were used but they alone seem to be the predominant keyboards, with equal sounding and decent key-presses.

Just surprised that a NEW keyboard for $300+USD would avoid upgrading their space bar, unless some hard core HHKB owner decides never to use it at all..... ;)
Yeah, I kinda get what you mean here. doesn't help that topre also make abs spacebars for their boards too instead of pbt like the rest of the board :? It's almost like they cheaped out on the spacebar specifically <(typed from my topre board :mrgreen: )

subcat

19 Nov 2018, 04:00

as a massive hhkb fanboy, i agree that it's overpriced - however, i wish people would refer to its Japanese MSRP since otherwise you're including additional import-related and logistics fees (i know fujitsu is retailing them for 320 or whatever in the US). 29,700 yen is the price for the BT or type-s (around $265). also, in my experience, the BT's spacebar stabs are far better. i would be surprised if the upcoming refresh doesn't give the rest of the lineup the same treatment.

zrrion

19 Nov 2018, 04:11

I may be in the minority here but I like my spacebar to sound clunkier than the other keys.

Elrick

19 Nov 2018, 05:22

subcat wrote: i would be surprised if the upcoming refresh doesn't give the rest of the lineup the same treatment.
Agreed even though I don't have one, would indeed be looking at their upcoming release with a tiny bit of excitement (not an addicted Thorpie-Lover by any means).

Just good to see something else that isn't a traditional Cherry-based keyboard ;) .

dlightningd

19 Nov 2018, 18:48

The best part of the review was that it was balanced - everyone seems to have a really strong opinion on the HHKB one way or the other.

Chyros, have you ever reviewed/tested a Novatouch? Interested to see how you would compare that against a Topre board.

Laser
emacs -nw

19 Nov 2018, 19:39

The Novatouch *is* a Topre board ;)

Chyros

19 Nov 2018, 19:53

I haven't tried a Novatouch, no. Well actually, I think I tried one once at a meetup, but it was a long time ago, and I wouldn't really be able to say much about it atm.

HzFaq

19 Nov 2018, 20:06

You should have said dude, I would have lent you my HHKB again for a comparison.

Elrick

20 Nov 2018, 00:07

Chyros wrote: I haven't tried a Novatouch, no. Well actually, I think I tried one once at a meetup, but it was a long time ago, and I wouldn't really be able to say much about it atm.
Novatouch isn't really all that great besides the ability of using any other standard Cherry MX styled key-caps.

That's about it.

The Realforce feels far more solid and prefer a full sized layout compared to the TKL only Novatouch.

Besides, got lucky today on purchasing the HHKB so I can see for myself what the big deal is on owning and using a HHKB. Really hate it's tiny foot print but the low pricing on shipping from Massdrop is ideal.

So have finally joined the HHKB train, waiting till it arrives to Convict Town.

Hypersphere

21 Nov 2018, 16:01

The spacebar is often the Achilles heel of silence on most keyboards. I like to silence the spacebars on my keyboards (HHKB included) as much as possible, and I've managed to subdue most of the rattles in my HHKB spacebar. In Topre-switch boards, if they are not already equipped with silencing rings, I install my own. I also lube the switches (synthetic oil) and stabilizers (synthetic grease). I then install very thin self-adhesive foam on the top plate under the spacebar on the contact points that the spacebar makes with the top plate.

Teppichporsche

21 Nov 2018, 21:47

The Topre Type-S realforce models do not have a loud spacebar at all. So they really screwed up with the HHKB.

Elrick

22 Nov 2018, 01:58

Hypersphere wrote: I like to silence the spacebars on my keyboards (HHKB included) as much as possible, and I've managed to subdue most of the rattles in my HHKB spacebar. In Topre-switch boards, if they are not already equipped with silencing rings, I install my own.
I know that some of you hate the noise of the normal HHKB model but I actually like the sound of the 'Thock' of these switches (not silenced). Just the cheapness of the upcoming space bar noise which makes it feel like a very cheap quality keyboard. Keep the 'Thock' but reduce the ABS "Tinniness" sound on the space bar. Maybe PBT spacer is required here who knows?
Hypersphere wrote: I also lube the switches (synthetic oil) and stabilizers (synthetic grease). I then install very thin self-adhesive foam on the top plate under the spacebar on the contact points that the spacebar makes with the top plate.
That is the very FIRST advice I've read about this, shall indeed do that on my HHKB model when it arrives from MD.

The Oil's you've used, are of course Krytox but which model numbers? Did you mix any of them to produce a "Hybrid" lube?

If you didn't use Krytox at all then please specific which exact product was used. Shall indeed hunt it down via Flebay.

Elrick

22 Nov 2018, 02:01

Teppichporsche wrote: The Topre Type-S realforce models do not have a loud spacebar at all. So they really screwed up with the HHKB.
Suspect the original HHKB model is the rock standard model (cheap) compared to the latest HHKB Type S (more expensive).

Hence they ignored some features, such as a decent (solid) sounding space bar.

Hypersphere

22 Nov 2018, 08:30

@ELrick: I use Super Lube 21010 grease and Super Lube 51010 oil. Both are available from Amazon.

The silencing rings for Topre switches dampen the return-stroke "clack" but not the downstroke "thock".

Elrick

22 Nov 2018, 08:53

Hypersphere wrote: @ELrick: I use Super Lube 21010 grease and Super Lube 51010 oil. Both are available from Amazon.
Thank you, much appreciated :D .

Return to “Reviews”