Razer Ornata review (Razer Mecha-Membrane)

Chyros

24 Nov 2018, 12:09

Don't even remember how many times this has been requested xD . Hope you enjoy the video! :)

stratokaster

24 Nov 2018, 12:55

Razer is like Apple for idiots: they also emphasize style over substance, but unlike Apple, they don't have any substance whatsoever.

Elrick

24 Nov 2018, 12:56

So glad you're done this, have a couple of people actually praising this abomination.

Sorry you had to deal with the usual achilles heel of Razer - NO quality whatsoever. Plus their consistent PR spin of Lies and Fantasy (they could stand for Parliament).

Thank you for the review here, another Great Exposition from the most HIDEOUS Company that makes absolute Garbage Input Devices ;) .

Findecanor

24 Nov 2018, 15:56

You inspired me to write a wiki article about the keyboard, listing the "points of contention" in the video.
I really should have done that a long time ago, so that it could be linked to when warning noobs about the keyboard.
Of course, the article links to this excellent video (indirectly via this thread).

zrrion

24 Nov 2018, 17:08

Fantastic review. Like all of your razer reviews I knew before I clicked play that the board was a POS. It is nice to know the specific vector this board approaches, and then crashes into, shitsville though as now I can tell people who think its good (all three of them) what specifically is wrong with the board.
I wonder if a RD + click leaf done by a company who made good things would be worth considering. A clicky topre board for instance would be interesting but it seems like one of the draws of topre is that it is relatively quiet idk.

If razer did make a proworld like switch I might actually be interested.

abrahamstechnology

24 Nov 2018, 19:07

zrrion wrote: Fantastic review. Like all of your razer reviews I knew before I clicked play that the board was a POS. It is nice to know the specific vector this board approaches, and then crashes into, shitsville though as now I can tell people who think its good (all three of them) what specifically is wrong with the board.
I wonder if a RD + click leaf done by a company who made good things would be worth considering. A clicky topre board for instance would be interesting but it seems like one of the draws of topre is that it is relatively quiet idk.

Holy crap, those exist?

Chyros

24 Nov 2018, 20:21

Glad you liked the video, guys! ^^
abrahamstechnology wrote:
zrrion wrote: Fantastic review. Like all of your razer reviews I knew before I clicked play that the board was a POS. It is nice to know the specific vector this board approaches, and then crashes into, shitsville though as now I can tell people who think its good (all three of them) what specifically is wrong with the board.

Holy crap, those exist?
Yes, they are what I alluded to in that video. I'd LOVE to give those a try, but they're not easy to find, unfortunately.

I mean I realise SKCM might be a bit of a leap to replicate for companies. But if something like this turns out to be really good, surely it can't be THAT much trouble to make?

abrahamstechnology

24 Nov 2018, 20:32

Chyros wrote: Glad you liked the video, guys! ^^
abrahamstechnology wrote:

Holy crap, those exist?
Yes, they are what I alluded to in that video. I'd LOVE to give those a try, but they're not easy to find, unfortunately.

I mean I realise SKCM might be a bit of a leap to replicate for companies. But if something like this turns out to be really good, surely it can't be THAT much trouble to make?
I think we should ask Kailh and Outemu, those seem like our best bets since Outemu already produces Matias switches and Kailh seems to cough up a new switch design every year.

zrrion

24 Nov 2018, 21:43

Their biggest drawback would be that they don't allow for a jumper/diode/led on the side with the click leaf, so they wouldn't be completely drop in compatible with cherry.

abrahamstechnology

24 Nov 2018, 21:44

zrrion wrote: Their biggest drawback would be that they don't allow for a jumper/diode/led on the side with the click leaf, so they wouldn't be completely drop in compatible with cherry.
Most have PCB mount diodes anyways (like the GH80-3000 PCB)

diseeease

27 Nov 2018, 15:58

Oh man, this video made my day, Chyros!

A friend of mine swears by his Razer Ornata and I always give him shit for it because even my cheapo ~30€ Aukey is better than the Razer POS.

Immediately sent him the video and he was like "blablabla y'all don't know what you're talking about".

BUT I got him to order a Vortex Race 3, so that's that. I suspect he'll be hating his Razer in no time.

Elrick

30 Nov 2018, 02:43

diseeease wrote: Immediately sent him the video and he was like "blablabla y'all don't know what you're talking about".

BUT I got him to order a Vortex Race 3, so that's that. I suspect he'll be hating his Razer in no time.
Usually with ALL Razer users, reality is kind of very scary and not quite understood. BEST to let them be.

It's like convincing a Flat-Earther that the World is kind of Round (roughly spherical), then watch them start sprouting ancient religious diatribe to desperately convince themselves of their own delusion.

Most people are smart but some prefer the illusion, like believing in the Clinton's won the last Election, far better to let them find out the REAL world in their own time, without being forced or pushed by us here on DT ;) .

TuxKey
LLAP

07 Dec 2018, 16:42

suddenly i feel great that i bought a second tada68 a few days ago .. with alu case for around $150 hahaha..
and everything looks well.. except the awful wrist rest KBDfans sells ..well i guess it's not as bad as razor's my god.

Return to “Reviews”