Realforce R2 PFU Limited Edition

Elrick

03 Mar 2019, 01:41

Hypersphere wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 16:14
However, I have not tried the high-profile Topre keycaps. I wonder if they add enough weight (compared to the standard profile) that 45g might feel too light?
First for me as well.

I'll see how they work with these SA inspired caps. Just wish they were more available for the Thorpie-line of keyboards.

Also wished they would come out with coloured SA key-caps (like SP) so as to capture the imagination of all the fanatical collectors that worship differing colour-ways for their unique keyboards.

Hypersphere

20 Mar 2019, 04:19

g0tlib wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 15:27
Hello everyone,

First of all excuse me if I make any English mistake since it's not my mother tongue.

I purchased a brand new Topre Realforce R2 PFU limited edition (R2TLSA-US4-BK-L) with grey and blue keycaps (apaprently it was made with or for Leopold but it's still a Realforce).

It's awesome and silent but I only have one problem with it, I don't know if it's a defect of my particular unit or not.

In fact the right half of the space bar is silent but when I hit it on its left side, it makes a bit of a clacky sound. In short; the space bar is not consistent. It's not bothering me when I'm typing since I use my right thumb to hit space, but when I'm gaming it is a bit noisy since I use my left thumb to jump, which is a shame for such a silent keyboard. Here's the video of how it sounds : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ansBbSe ... e=youtu.be

I asked the seller on ebay (widebasket) about it and he replied :

"According to the manufacturer, it was Normal.
The long key (Enter, Backspace, Shit ..) of this keyboard has the stabilizers with a plastic cylinder and a steel fixture.
In the stabilizer, there may be a fricative sound when you press the space bar.
Therefore it is structural, not defective.
The other keyboards are the same. "

He also told me that it was not just sepcific to the limited editions models made for Leopold since the only thing that they changed is the color of the keycaps.

It's not that I don't trust him, but I wanted to have confirmation from people who already own the same model. Thanks :)

Marc
Well, I just received a Leopold R2 TKL Silent 45g keyboard from Widebasket on eBay.

Guess what? It has the same spacebar problem that you described.

The spacebar seems to bottom out when struck on the left side, and it makes a rather loud "clack" sound. This is less noticeable when struck in the middle or on the right, but if the spacebar is struck forcibly anywhere along its length, it bottoms out with a clack.

In contrast, the spacebar on my Realforce R2 PFU Edition silent 45g keyboard is quiet no matter where it is struck.

This is only a sample of 2 and so a statistician would say that we could not conclude that this is representative of the entire population of these keyboards. On the other hand, I do not much believe in coincidences. I think it is a design flaw or perhaps a quality control issue. Not good when you pay nearly $400 for keyboard!

There might be some simple remedies for this, however. One possibility would be to remove the spacebar and add some self-adhesive polyurethane foam to the plate where the spacebar makes contact.** Another thing that might help is to swap out the auxiliary return spring for a slightly heavier spring. If these tricks do not work, it might require opening up the keyboard and checking the stabilizer alignment. When I have had a chance to try these potential fixes, I will report back on how well they worked.

I am also somewhat disappointed in the actual colors of the Leopold keycaps. From the photos and renders, I was expecting a lighter background on the alpha keys and a lighter and more vivid shade of blue on the modifiers. The colors on the Leopold version look muddy. I prefer the colors of the Topre keycap sets that I put on my RF R2 PFU board.

Because of the issues with the spacebar and the keycap colors, I now wish I had purchased another Realforce R2 PFU from Amazon -- it would have been $50 less expensive and presumably would not have had the detractions of the Leopold board. It would be a hassle to return the Leopold model to Korea, and I am not sure if returns would be accepted for seemingly minor quibbles. So, I will keep the board and see if I can alleviate the spacebar problem.**

BTW, the Enter and Right Shift have a bit of a rattle, and this is also a problem with the RF R2 PFU board. Keyboards ought to be designed so that there are no keys large enough to require stabilizers! However, the stabilized keys on my Northgate Omnikey 101 (SKCM White Alps switches) have wire stabilizers and they do not rattle.

** EDIT: Okay, today I removed the spacebar and adjacent modifier keycaps. I applied strips of very thin self-adhesive polyurethane form to the top plate between the spacebar switch and the stabilizer on each side. I also applied the same material between the stabilizer and the adjacent modifier switch on each side. In addition, while holding the stabilizer in the up-position on each side, I applied some SuperLube 21010 synthetic grease so that it reached the stabilizer wire underneath the plate.

This treatment seems to have worked. The stabilizer clack is now gone. This fix was fairly easy and quick, but I should think that Leopold should have done something like this in the first place. The keyboard cost nearly $400, and it was billed as a silenced model. For such an expensive board that is supposedly silenced, Leopold could at least have added some shock-absorbing material under the spacebar or used a different design of spacebar that would not make contact with the top plate.

TuxKey
LLAP

21 Mar 2019, 23:08

Best review ever.. The cons are the exact points i would have for not buying it..
my compliments sir.. Realforce should consider hiring you as a consultant..
oh wait.. never mind.. i would rather they did not.. that would be bad for my wallet on the long run..

Hypersphere

21 Mar 2019, 23:42

TuxKey wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 23:08
Best review ever.. The cons are the exact points i would have for not buying it..
my compliments sir.. Realforce should consider hiring you as a consultant..
oh wait.. never mind.. i would rather they did not.. that would be bad for my wallet on the long run..
Thanks for the kind words.

Waiting for the call from Realforce . . . . :geek:

I am going to do a separate mini-review on the Leopold version of the RF R2 Silent 45g TKL Board.

TuxKey
LLAP

22 Mar 2019, 11:22

Hypersphere wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 23:42
I am going to do a separate mini-review on the Leopold version of the RF R2 Silent 45g TKL Board.
cool look forward to it..i really need to clean my FC660C of the superlube grease and superlube oil mixture and remove the Silencing rings perhaps that will help remove the problem i have with it..alas i don't have a ultrasonic cleaner like Wodan so i have to use a cute tip and sum isopropyl alcohol.. a couple of folks told me it's because i have not placed the domes back correctly but that seems strange i tried it at least 5times.. :roll:
will try it two more times.. and then i'l ask an expert like your self for help ahhahah..But first i'l remove all the unknowns i added to it.

will keep my eyes open for the reviews..
btw just subscribed to TypeHype forums never heard of them.. was looking for other reviews of this board..people there don't agree with your and my thoughts on the negatives of this board.. ahhaha well i suppose not everyone has to agree hahahaha

Hypersphere

22 Mar 2019, 12:41

@TuxKey: What are the problems you are experiencing with your FC660C?

vinzbe

30 Mar 2019, 16:50

I didn't encounter an issue with the noise produced by the space bar with my R2 boards, but there is something I find annoying with it.

The space bar is slightly longer than on Realforce R1 or HHKB. So you can't put a custom space bar (the stabilizers won't fit).

Hypersphere

30 Mar 2019, 20:28

vinzbe wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 16:50
I didn't encounter an issue with the noise produced by the space bar with my R2 boards, but there is something I find annoying with it.

The space bar is slightly longer than on Realforce R1 or HHKB. So you can't put a custom space bar (the stabilizers won't fit).
The spacebar noise was an issue only on the Leopold version of the R2.

Yes, in the R2 (both the Topre and Leopold versions), the bottom row is now "standard", so the spacebar is now 6.25u instead of 6.00u.

I hope that Topre will issue new R2 replacement keycap sets, but I have seen no indication of this yet.

vinzbe

30 Mar 2019, 21:13

I have both the PFU and Leopold version.

As far as space bar is concerned, the PFU board seems to a bassier sound. Both versions have a tendency to get high-pitched when I press on the left side on the space bar. This disparity is worse on the PFU version.

This calls for some foam modding at some poin. It doesn't bother me as I press the space bar mostly with my right hand. Does that make me a goofy or regular?

Anyway, aren't they both produced from the same factory?

Tias

30 Mar 2019, 21:43

Inspired by this review of the factory silenced R2 I decided to pull the plug on a silenced Realforce. I however finally landed on the 87UW(S?) or "Low noise" version. Mainly because I personally like the old case design more, but I was also curious about the variable weighting.

I must say I was very pleasently surprised with 87UW(S) in terms of the overall quality and the silencing factor, its absolutely whisper quiet with hardly any rattle whatsoever. The variable weighting is okay, but I still perfer uniform 45g so swapping out the domes at some point would make the board even better.

As for silenced Topre in general I have personally tried a HHKB Type-S and a Hypersphered and lubed Novatouch. The particular Type-S I tried had a kind of "raspy" sound, which I expected the 87UW(S) to have to but thankfully it didn't. The modified Novatouch was far more smoother and silent, but the overall build quality of it can't match the Realforce imo.

I'm curious how the factory silenced R2 boards compares against factory silenced R1 boards in general. There are of course major differences between the two generations, but I was primarily thinking about the silencing aspect and the overall build quality in general.

vinzbe

30 Mar 2019, 22:34

They both have the same rigid PCB and the same dome construction. IMO, both versions have similar build quality. Thought, it's a lot easier to disassemble the R1 version.

On the R1 you can have some noise with the left ctrl key. This is cured by putting a generous amount of lube. The R2 doesn't have that problem.

I don't think there ever was a silent version with uniform weighting for the R1. With the R2, you can get all weight variants.

Hypersphere

05 Apr 2019, 19:58

@vinzbe: I agree about the build quality being about the same in the various versions of RF boards (R1, R2, RF/Topre-branded vs Leopold-branded), and that the R1 is easier to take apart.

One thing I much prefer about the R2 is that the lock lights are in the case rather than through windowed keycaps.

My R2 PFU Edition is generally very quiet, so that any extra noise from a stabilized key is quite noticeable. I use the Right Shift much more than the Left Shift, and unfortunately, the Right Shift has some stabilizer rattle.

I've not tried a variable-weight RF, but I am quite sure I would find 30g Topre switches far too light.

Return to “Reviews”