Focus FK-555 keyboard review (Alps SKCM Blue, Omron B3G-S Cyan)

Chyros

11 May 2019, 11:32

Today we look at a keyboard that's both fantastic and has a great deal of history behind it; the FK-555. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

11 May 2019, 12:27

That sure is an interesting timeline. Thanks for piecing this together and spreading the knowledge :geek:

ZedTheMan

11 May 2019, 20:26

Makes me that much more upset that mine got lost in the mail!

But I'm over it by now tbh

nelamvr6

11 May 2019, 21:32

Great sleuthing, thanks for another fantastic video!

Polecat

11 May 2019, 23:34

Chyros wrote:
11 May 2019, 11:32
Today we look at a keyboard that's both fantastic and has a great deal of history behind it; the FK-555. Hope you enjoy the video! :)
Nicely done, and appreciated. I'm always trying to learn something new, and this one did not disappoint!

The Quality Certification stickers went up to at least "FE", at least on the Northgates.

I have a very early Omnikey 102 and that one has no Focus branding, inside or out. The controller is a generic Intel 8049 with a separate EPROM, with "Omnikey 102" hand written on its label. There's a label on the bottom cover which lists the FCC ID as "FU44S2 KB555" (not FK555) and identifies the manufacturer as "Standard Equipment & Funding Corporation (DBA Sefco Computer Products)". Another label on the bottom, a paper one probably added by Northgate, lists a date of 7-15-1988, and identifies the vendor as "111". No quality certification on that one. Could this be a pre-Focus Northgate?

Return to “Reviews”