Ortek MCK-101SX review (Alps SKCM White)

Chyros

27 Jul 2019, 11:33

Please note that I'm using a different style of narration in this video. I'm curious as to what you guys think of it. Hope you enjoy this video about the Ortek MCK-101, a fairly well-known Alps classic!

Wazrach

27 Jul 2019, 12:32

What was different about this style of video? I don't think I noticed anything. o.o

Also, I used to own one of these. A new old-stock Alps clone version with nice doubleshots. It was flimsy as hell. I remember being happy about how nice a find it was for £30, but let's be honest - it didn't cost that to make, did it?

subcat

27 Jul 2019, 13:07

i think the narration style is faster and more casual? or maybe i'm hearing things. i liked it better, whatever it was. i used to own that exact board and indeed, i never cleaned it :D it didn't see any use in the end because of its overall mediocrity. at least it's built better than a kb-6251!

User101

27 Jul 2019, 13:16

TBH i didn't notice anything different lol

SneakyRobb
THINK

27 Jul 2019, 21:31

Chyros wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 11:33
Please note that I'm using a different style of narration in this video. I'm curious as to what you guys think of it. Hope you enjoy this video about the Ortek MCK-101, a fairly well-known Alps classic!

"slightly poop" - nice

"I'm curious as to what you guys think of it." -Ok.

I found this review to be good. Enjoyed.

Notes from a pleb. Easy to be in the critic seat, hard to be the creator seat.

Yes to dropping boards from height to show their heft.
Narration slightly fast but still good.
Yes to blue alps intro clicks.
Would like to know how the switches are in this specific exemplar. I.e. do skcm white sound worse here and suffer in this crappy case vs a sturdier one. (know you will do videos about this soon. -looking forward to it)
I miss the scale for weighing.
Was fun when boards were like 1/3 weight of a model m.
I miss "or this in hamburger units."

I know it can be repetitive to outline the stuff we have heard before. Like alps switches, converters etc. But I do like a quick rundown of these factors even if its like the 25th video to mention that cherry mx blues are bad. Would rather hear 15 seconds of opinion of white alps than be referred to previous videos.

Reason for that is I wish to hear your continued enjoyment or frustrations with things. It is one of the most enjoyable elements of your videos.

Finally, how does one donate to you? Do you have some kind of bitcoin address? Or a webzone with paypal etc. I know you said you don't take as many loaner boards, but how to donate funds? Patreon?

orihalcon

30 Jul 2019, 02:51

Nice video as usual!

I just got one of these myself, though mostly got it for the caps which are doubleshot + pad printed secondaries. Not sure I'm brave enough to put the durability of the pad printing to the test in any sort of heavy use scenario though, but they definitely do spruce up the overall look of the board.

As for the door on top, my guess is that it's there to cover up the flip cards so that you don't always have to look at them! The little door/badge area on mine is completely blank, but haven't researched any other variants.
IMG_5010.jpg
IMG_5010.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 4362 times
IMG_5012.jpg
IMG_5012.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 4362 times
IMG_5013.jpg
IMG_5013.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 4362 times

Chyros

31 Jul 2019, 19:44

Thanks for the feedback! :) It's always valuable for me to know what people do and don't like! If you want to donate financially, I guess you can transfer over paypal :) .

Aram, those are some seriously nice keycaps! I've seen caps like that on a picture of a Focus keyboard once, but not on an Ortek before. Really cool though!

Yes, I think the top cover is to make the cards look neater. I've seen rebadged versions of the board where there is a brand name on the removable plate, but they're rather rare - most of the time it's blank, which is a bit ugly IMO. I think it'd be much better-looking if they went with something even on a non-rebadged model, the way Focus did it as well.

Return to “Reviews”