BKE Redux Light domes (in a silenced Novatouch)

the_marsbar

11 Feb 2020, 11:42

I decided to bring out my Novatouch after having kept it in a box for quite some time. I thought it would be interesting to install the BKE Redux Light domes that I initially bought for my HHKB Pro 2. I got a small bag of Ultra Light domes which I installed in the HHKB and moved the Lights to the Novatouch.

A while back I installed some thinly ironed soft-landing pads in the Novatouch, and while I like the typing experience, this keyboard always felt a bit mushy to me (even though the landing pads were really thin). This was the main reason for installing the BKE Redux domes. At the same time I installed a set of thick blank Ducky PBT keycaps.

After a couple of days of typing on the keyboard I'll have to say that the experience is quite different compared to that of the HHKB Pro 2 with the same domes (in that keyboard I have Hypersphere's silencing rings installed). First off, the sound signature is different. Perhaps it's a bit quieter. It also feels a bit more firm, maybe the Light domes were too snappy in the plastic case of the HHKB.

I'm curious if anyone else has experience with BKE Redux domes in a Novatouch, and if so, what your thoughts are. Installation is still tricky in my opinion (it's easy to end up with sticky keys). I think I had to open the keyboard around 10 times to get it right.

raptorzoz

28 May 2020, 12:02

Not yet, but I plan on getting some as soon as they become available from the mykeyboard store. (though those are going to be the V2 domes, rather than the ones that have been on the market for a couple of years. I have my novatouch silenced with deskeys #3 rings, and without lube making the alphanumeric keys quite silent, but the stabilized ones are louder due to rattle

the_marsbar

28 May 2020, 12:07

Are the V2 domes different, and if so, how?

Little4Real

28 May 2020, 12:44

Has anyone reviewed a set of the V2 domes yet. I wasn't sure if anyone has received any sort of prototypes.

the_marsbar

28 May 2020, 12:53

OK, so I can answer my own question I guess.

The V2 domes are compatible with the Realforce RGB it seems (whatever that means?), and are attached in rows (huge plus in my opinion). More info: https://www.keyclack.com/products/bke-t ... cements-v2

The domes look very different (i.e., there isn't an open hole when the dome is seen from the top). This will undoubtedly impact the sound. Positively or negatively? Who knows.

I'd love to try a set of the V2 Ultra Lights.

raptorzoz

28 May 2020, 17:35

Apparently they're supposed to feel closer to the BVE domes than the V1 BKE domes

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 May 2020, 21:46

the_marsbar wrote:
28 May 2020, 12:53
V2 domes are compatible with the Realforce RGB it seems (whatever that means?)
It means that there are cutouts for the surface mount LEDs on the Realforce RGB PCB. I did a thorough teardown of one back in December/January; look around for the photos if curious.

Return to “Reviews”