SGI "Granite" 9500900 review (Alps SKCM White Dampened)

Chyros

11 Jul 2020, 15:28

Today we look at a true Alps classic, the SGI "Granite" keyboard. Quite a looker this, in my opinion :D . Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Elrick

14 Jul 2020, 04:38

Perhaps the SEXIEST Alps based keyboard, that was ever made.

Would still choose that over any other keyboard made today, if I was ever that fortunate in having a choice at all.

Although that off-white coloured space bar, would OCD me to death. Would most probably spray it with a plastic paint coating, so as to make it successfully merge with all the PBT coloured key-caps.

That's just me of course. Most here would love it as it is.

Thanks for this review, much appreciated by all the Convicts, Down Under ;) .

adamcobabe

14 Jul 2020, 13:00

Elrick wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 04:38
Although that off-white coloured space bar, would OCD me to death. Would most probably spray it with a plastic paint coating, so as to make it successfully merge with all the PBT coloured key-caps.
The space bars on my two were bothering me as well. I was able to retrobrite them in 10% hydrogen peroxide and they look much, much better. No need to paint. Never paint. ;)

Elrick

15 Jul 2020, 08:30

adamcobabe wrote:
I was able to retrobrite them in 10% hydrogen peroxide and they look much, much better. No need to paint. Never paint. ;)
Yeah, but how long does the Retrobrite last after leaching out the old colour?

Wouldn't it return back in time because it is not painted or coloured, only removal of the stain that has grown since it was first made decades ago.

Was always concerned about using that chemical to remove any stains out of ABS plastic. The worst plastic to use for Key-caps ever :D .

PlacaFromHell

15 Jul 2020, 08:39

Elrick wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 08:30
adamcobabe wrote:
I was able to retrobrite them in 10% hydrogen peroxide and they look much, much better. No need to paint. Never paint. ;)
Yeah, but how long does the Retrobrite last after leaching out the old colour?

Wouldn't it return back in time because it is not painted or coloured, only removal of the stain that has grown since it was first made decades ago.

Was always concerned about using that chemical to remove any stains out of ABS plastic. The worst plastic to use for Key-caps ever :D .
You can retrobrite it and then put on some UV protecting clear coating. I didn't tested this solution but it should work.

Nasanieru

16 Jul 2020, 18:45

When I was searching eBay for an ALPS board to call my own, I came across these guys and I thought they looked amazing. Imagine one of these with nicer ALPS switches in them!

Return to “Reviews”