Unicomp New Model M Review

lhutton

14 Nov 2020, 02:57

Because shipping was $20 either way I threw a new Model M on a parts order from Unicomp last month just to see what was new about it. I'm gently encouraged to see what the tenkeyless will be like now as this is definitely tighter than a 2018 UltraClassic I have, although I do prefer the green lock lights and overall shape of the UltraClassic.

Elrick

14 Nov 2020, 03:46

Thanks for the heads up on this so-called, new Model-M :lol: .

For a split second I thought their new SSK was in your hands. Nevertheless it still bodes well that Unicomp are still making Buckling Spring Keyboards, during 2020.

The cost is so cheap compared to most other keyboards, that now ALL use the dreaded CherryMX sickness, with every keyboard sold around the world.

Hope they are still here during 2021, where I might buy this latest edition just out of curiosity.

lhutton

14 Nov 2020, 04:36

The SSK is apparently going to be pretty similar to this new chassis if I understand correctly.

For some reason I still prefer the softer edges on the UltraClassic. I also don't really like the blue LEDs on the new M but there's no denying the it's sturdier than the UltraClassic. Neither approach a first or second generation model M in terms of robustness but modern conveniences like USB, a meta key and not having to rebuild it right away are quite nice. :D

sharktastica

14 Nov 2020, 18:57

Good video!
Elrick wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 03:46
Thanks for the heads up on this so-called, new Model-M :lol: .

For a split second I thought their new SSK was in your hands. Nevertheless it still bodes well that Unicomp are still making Buckling Spring Keyboards, during 2020.

The cost is so cheap compared to most other keyboards, that now ALL use the dreaded CherryMX sickness, with every keyboard sold around the world.

Hope they are still here during 2021, where I might buy this latest edition just out of curiosity.
I had a chat with Unicomp just yesterday in fact, and Unicomp's sales have increased during the last year (they presume due to people setting up home offices). However, the demand has placed some challenges for them since they're struggling to get a lot of people in due to COVID (taking people away from the new SSK production to focus on fulfilling other orders) but they remain optimistic. I posted my mini update from them on my subreddit, r/ModelM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9o9ebhCA34.
Last edited by sharktastica on 14 Nov 2020, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

ddrfraser1

14 Nov 2020, 19:38

Good video. Thanks

lhutton

14 Nov 2020, 20:53

sharktastica wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 18:57
I had a chat with Unicomp just yesterday in fact, and Unicomp's sales have increased during the last year (they presume due to people setting up home offices). However, the demand has placed some challenges for them since they're struggling to get a lot of people in due to COVID (taking people away from the new SSK production to focus on fulfilling other orders) but they remain optimistic. I posted my mini update from them on my subreddit, r/ModelM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9o9ebhCA34.
Thanks!

I've had a ton of time on all kinds of buckling spring boards at this point and I think they are headed in the right direction with the New M. Just lose the blue LEDs. :P Hard to photograph, garrish, etc. A warm white or the old green would be better I think. Also wish it had a detachable cable like the new SSK is supposed to have but that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother other people. Maybe one day we can get a New M+ or whatever with a USB-C port and built in 2 port USB-A hub, that would be quite handy. Would definitely buy one of those for my daily driver.

Are they planning on nuking the UltraClassic line too? I know they make the Endura with the track point mouse and the trackball model but I'm assuming those are different moulds and less used. Would like to see the white/pebble/tan casing make a return as well. Might order an UltraClassic in that finish before they stop selling those.

sharktastica

14 Nov 2020, 21:06

lhutton wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 20:53
Are they planning on nuking the UltraClassic line too? I know they make the Endura with the track point mouse and the trackball model but I'm assuming those are different moulds and less used. Would like to see the white/pebble/tan casing make a return as well. Might order an UltraClassic in that finish before they stop selling those.
They partially have since they only sell one black variant now, and they're again directing people on their site to go for New Model Ms instead. The EnduraPro shares the same IBM 5576-C01 keyboard moulds (just the Ultra Classics have the mouse button area blanked out), so it seems they're trying to preserve that more unique model line with exclusivity.

lhutton

14 Nov 2020, 21:09

sharktastica wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 21:06

They partially have since they only sell one black variant now, and they're again directing people on their site to go for New Model Ms instead. The EnduraPro shares the same IBM 5576-C01 keyboard moulds (just the Ultra Classics have the mouse button area blanked out), so it seems they're trying to preserve that more unique model line with exclusivity.
The white version of the UltraClassic is still listed on their site, albeit with a black bottom case:

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UNI0P4A

I wonder if they'll make a white/pebble version of the new board eventually.

grasshopper

16 Nov 2020, 20:39

Thanks for the review.

I don't suppose you could do a teardown of the New Model M at some point?

The reason I ask is because I own a fairly beaten-up full-size black Unicomp Model M, and was considering purchasing a new case for it. But it now looks like Unicomp is phasing out the full size Model Ms, and won't be refreshing the moulds for that model. So, I'm wondering how much work it would be to modify the plate of my full size Model M to make it fit in one of the new cases.

Return to “Reviews”