Chicony 5161 w/Blue Alps

hellothere

23 Jan 2021, 20:51

wiki/Chicony_KB-5161
Spoiler:
blue.jpg
blue.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2552 times
Hello, and welcome to this review of my Chicony KB-5161 with blue Alps switches. I've used this keyboard at work for most of the week.

* My boss heard me typing during a meeting and immediately gave me a $50,000 a year raise.
* The Tamale Lady heard me through my open window and gave me the entire cart full of tamales.
* My kid heard me typing and got straight As on her report card.
* After typing for a week, my RSI cleared up and my back feels like I'm 18 again.
* After typing for a week, I converted 50lbs of fat into raw muscle.

... Yeah.

OK, while I haven't been working on keyboards extremely long, I have acquired two salmon/pink Alps keyboards (Wang 724/725 and AEK II), two orange Alps keyboards, 3 or 4 pine white Alps keyboards (including a Northgate OmniMac), one yellow Alps keyboard, and 4 or 5 cream damped Alps keyboards (all AEK IIs). So, I have some idea of what some of the more popular Alps switches feel like. I'll also mention that the white Alps switches in my keyboards are from at least two different generations, as one has the Alps stamp on the bottom housings and the other has the stamp on both the bottom and top housings.

You can also see from the (bad) pic I took of this blue Alps keyboard that the keyboard I have is in fantastic shape with very little yellowing. The case is visually similar to the Dell and SGI bigfoot cases, which I've heard are supposed to be very good for clicky switches.

It's ... good. It's occasionally excellent, especially when I type quickly. However, do note that I'm not trained as a typist and use two to three fingers on one hand and one or two on the other, so "real" typists might like this switch more.

Someone mentioned in an old thread that blue Alps feel a bit like a Model M. I'd like to change that to "Model F." It's got some of both the ping and feel of the F, but with more travel depth.

The spacebar sounds fantastic and both feels and sounds like Kailh thick click Box Jades or Box Navys.

The big thing people want to know is how blues compare to the much more common whites. If we're talking about the early pine whites, they're very similar. The weighting feels considerably higher on the blues, more like salmon Alps or a bit higher, and the sound is much better on the blues, as the high end ping of the whites is gone. The second gen whites in my Northgate compare less favorably for both feel and sound, even though the Northgate is built like a tank and has a metal bottom case.

It is possible that this keyboard will be better after cleaning and lubing. However, I'm not sure I'll do that as the #1 rule of Alps club is, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I will ret0bright the keycaps (doubleshot, btw), but not the case.

I've got to say that one of the reasons I bought a blue Alps board is because of the massive amount of hype about them. If you want a blue Alps keyboard, I recommend that you half your expectations. It's a very good switch. If you want something a bit lighter that doesn't sound quite as good, get a keyboard that has as old as possible white Alps. Of course, you want a keyboard in good shape. Not a beater.

That's it for this review. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. And following is a typing demonstration of me typing on this keyboard.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

TNT

24 Jan 2021, 05:17

Well, now I know what tamales are. Thank you

Polecat

24 Jan 2021, 05:53

Mmmmm...tamales.

Like you I'm not a real typist, which is why I have to have clicky switches so I don't wear my neck out looking up at the screen every time I don't hit a key squarely. I completely agree that blue Alps switches aren't worth the drastically higher price compared to early whites, especially to those of us who can't tell the difference (if there in fact is a difference, of which I'm not at all convinced). But they are to some people, even if it's just for bragging rights or to show off in photos, and that's how it should be.

Great review, thanks!

hellothere

24 Jan 2021, 17:33

Thanks, folks.

To add on to a comment I made, I've owned two IBM Model F XTs. One I restored from the ground up, with some new and a bunch of restored parts, and one that had a NOS everything but the case, shiny back plate, electronics and cord. Both felt approximately the same. I think blue Alps feel better than either. I mentioned that I really like the "travel depth" of blue Alps compared to either IBM model. I think the pingy-ness is more under control on the blue Alps vs. the Model F XT, but it's still there and I think it sounds better on the blues.

Chyros has mentioned that blue Alps+ABS double-shot keycaps are a very good combination. I get that and trust his opinion, as he's tried way more Alps switches than I have, but I do like me some PBTs. I just think those feel better. I might try replacing the alpha key caps with some PBTs I have lying around and see what it does to both the sound and feel.

So, the two other Alps switches I really want to try are tactile brown and plate spring. I'm also kind of interested in a Pingmaster.

hellothere

26 Jan 2021, 23:34

An update, a couple days later.

While the blue Alps is growing on me and I like it a bit more than the whites, I took my AEK II with Alps orange switches out to use as my 2nd computer daily driver. It's ... almost perfect. No adjustment time needed. No lubing switches, just some nice, tactile, goodness.

The blue Alps isn't going anywhere, so I'll see how I feel in a week or so. I might transplant the blues into a Northgate I just bought and see what happens.

hellothere

01 Mar 2021, 19:52

So, I had let the blue Alps keyboard sit in a box for a while, as I was testing some keyboards I had repaired. I came back to it today. My other daily driver is a Steel Series Apex Pro with contact-less Hall Effect switches. The blue Alps feels a bit crisper than what I remembered or, because I was only doing Alps to Alps comparisons, there isn't a night/day difference.

The keyboards I was typing on, while the blue Alps was benched, were a Monterey blue (SMK 2nd gen), a Futaba MA (which is really extra fun to type on), and both a linearized and non-linearized black Alps (Dell 101s). I also had to use my Kailh Box Jade on a couple of occasions.

I haven't done anything to the switches; no lube, etc. This keyboard is in such great shape, I see absolutely no need to do anything with the switches.

I'm thinking that I might buy 6 or so blue Alps switches and use them for the spacebar in my other clicky Alps keyboards. The spacebar just feels and sounds so good.

Return to “Reviews”