Unicomp SSK is shipping now

lhutton

08 Apr 2021, 18:24

Just received mine this week, got the gift certificate in Jan or Feb of 2020. SN of 178 on mine.
P1040846_01.jpg
P1040846_01.jpg (744.29 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
It's a Unicomp M without a standalone numpad is the short of it. The legends look sharp and alignment is good. If you like their more recent New 2020 M this is just more of the same, only smaller. Video will be coming soonish from me. Space bar does feel a little weird compared to my 2020 M and UltraClassic. Haven't tried reseating it yet. Integrated numpad works just like the classic SSK only now we get lock lights. Compared to my OG SSK it's a little smaller.

I like it and haven't had any issues with recent Unicomp boards. I think sometime post 2016 or 2017 they kind of started to step up QC from what I've seen. If you have issues with recent Unicomp boards then maybe not the board for you.

I'm always nervous about using my 1993 SSK due to how expensive they have become. I feel like if I spill something on it I might as well light $400 on fire. Having a modern version that's more easy to procure or repair and I don't feel like I need to treat like it's made of gold is nice.

Like all Unicomp boards it's not a classic M and you shouldn't expect it to be IMO, that being said it's fine and a good board for 2021 I think. Especially considering the domestic (to me anyway) manufacturing and how little they cost compared to other high end boards with Cherry derivatives these days. As a Linux user I appreciate the lack of bloated botnet spyware that seems to ship with a lot boards these days. It's a simple, working buckling spring keyboard. Enough said.

Bjerrk

08 Apr 2021, 18:45

Looks great! Really glad Unicomp got around to this, even if I'm not planning on getting one at the moment.
lhutton wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 18:24
As a Linux user I appreciate the lack of bloated botnet spyware that seems to ship with a lot boards these days. It's a simple, working buckling spring keyboard. Enough said.
Absolutely this. Thank God.

lhutton

08 Apr 2021, 19:21

Quick note on something I forgot: the bottom row is slightly different than the 2020 M and UltraClassic. The right super key (Windows key) is 1.75 or 2.0 units wide instead of 1.5, the space bar is shorter and the alt/super keys are flipped in position.

The SSK also has a removable USB A to A cable where as the other Unicomp boards are built in.

StringyBliss

09 Apr 2021, 18:56

Very nice. I emailed them recently to ask if they had any plans to introduce an ISO version, and they replied that they are in the process of obtaining the required certificates and that they expect this to take a few months.

Return to “Reviews”