I Plug In, I Type: Steel Series Apex Pro

Go-Kart

24 May 2021, 22:12

When a new keyboard arrives, I plug it in and type up my initial impressions. I started doing this just to test keyboards but wishing to read more people's perspectives on certain keyboards myself, in search of enthusiasts with similar tastes, I realise that my experiences may of use to others.

I have spoken to a few members on DT about getting one of these boards and they wished to know how I found it. Here are my thoughts; a stream of consciousness first impression copied here verbatim:

"O.K., so the first impressions of the Steel Series Apex Pro is that yes, the switches are smooth, yes I can type fast on it but gosh darn, they ain't remarkable. The keyboard actually feels kinda cheap [in construction/materials]. The caps don't feel too bad or look too bad but yeh, I am underwhelmed. It has at least shown me that I'm not averse to nice linear switches but [more so] that the a nice linear is comparable to a half decent linear. Whereas a nice tactile switch is miles apart from other mid table offerings [IMO]. The sound of this board really ain't anything to get excited about either. The chassis sounds like it could provide a decent timbre when the stabilisers are sorted and it has a half decent set of caps on but that's as far as I can go right now. I can feel the difference in smoothness between the MX clones and the H.E. switches [on the board]. All that money for such an underwhelming experience as this?

O.K., the only other linear board I care to compare the Apex Pro to is my Linearised Bigfoot. This is the only linear board I've ever actually liked. It visits my desk frequently. The sound difference [in terms of low-pitched tone] isn't miles away. And again, jumping back on to the Apex Pro, I can feel the difference in smoothness against the lightly-lubed, Linearised Black Alps. And there is something satisfying about the key feel on the Apex Pro. Effortlessly moving weight? That's as far as I can go but by no means is it an easy win for the Apex Pro. Only by a hair. My Bigfoot sounds better overall. The caps, the well tuned stabilisers and better chassis on the Bigfoot all add up."

As should be apparent, I was satisfied with the key feel on the Apex Pro but underwhelmed overall. I whipped out my reliable Linearised Bigfoot and typed the second paragraph between both of them. My conclusion? Steel Series H.E. switches are good but the rest of the keyboard is just an average, half-decent gaming keyboard. I actually bought the Apex Pro purely for gaming as I play competitive FPS and easily argued myself into investing in such a keyboard. The good switches don't justify the price when you considered the package as a whole, in my opinion. Maybe sorting out the stabilisers and swapping the caps out would take it up a notch but for now, my search for a new gaming keyboard continues.

Muirium
µ

26 May 2021, 13:26

Wonders what this keyboard is. Looks up picture.

Chuckles!

Maybe your review should have been about the rollercoaster ponycorn gacklighting? 8-)

Go-Kart

26 May 2021, 23:00

As much as I do not care for unicorn vomit 99 % of the time, gaming in a dark room enjoying my keyboard emitting a subtle violet backlight while I PWN n00bz is a healthy part of my post-work warm-down routine :geek:

Muirium
µ

26 May 2021, 23:18

Fair enough. I quite like the dark, too, and somehow never forget where the keys are, but maybe I’ll change my mind someday when I get forgetful. :twisted:

ddrfraser1

27 May 2021, 17:35

Interesting perspective. I think expectations come into this. I wasn't expecting much when I got it but I absolutely love it. Sure, it looks like a gaming keyboard, sure the caps could be better but the feel imo is unparalleled. These are my fav linear bar none.

Go-Kart

27 May 2021, 23:30

I've so few experiences of linears as I thought of myself as part of "tactile gang". My linearised Bigfoot taught me otherwise. I certainly put the Steel Series H.E. switches above them for key feel. Above a few tactile switches too! I would've kept the Apex Pro and done the work on it to get it where I wanted it but unfortunately, the seller sent me a full size when I ordered the TKL...

Elrick

30 May 2021, 08:55

Go-Kart wrote:
Maybe sorting out the stabilisers and swapping the caps out would take it up a notch but for now, my search for a new gaming keyboard continues.
Just out of pure curiosity here, what style of Stabs are being used on this keyboard?

CherryMX or Costar?

Was hoping that at least the Spacer Bar would use some 'Costars' but that would be highly imaginative for myself.

ddrfraser1

30 May 2021, 16:14

Elrick wrote:
30 May 2021, 08:55
Go-Kart wrote:
Maybe sorting out the stabilisers and swapping the caps out would take it up a notch but for now, my search for a new gaming keyboard continues.
Just out of pure curiosity here, what style of Stabs are being used on this keyboard?

CherryMX or Costar?

Was hoping that at least the Spacer Bar would use some 'Costars' but that would be highly imaginative for myself.
MX

Ander

06 Mar 2022, 11:47

Go-Kart wrote:
O.K., so the first impressions of the Steel Series Apex Pro is that yes, the switches are smooth, yes I can type fast on it but gosh darn, they ain't remarkable. The keyboard actually feels kinda cheap [in construction/materials]. The caps don't feel too bad or look too bad but yeh, I am underwhelmed... All that money for such an underwhelming experience as this?

My conclusion? Steel Series H.E. switches are good but the rest of the keyboard is just an average, half-decent gaming keyboard. I actually bought the Apex Pro purely for gaming as I play competitive FPS and easily argued myself into investing in such a keyboard. The good switches don't justify the price when you considered the package as a whole, in my opinion...
I agree with you about the caps—they’re just ABS laser-ablated, so they don’t look or feel as good, and won’t last as long, as some nice POM caps. I’m pretty sure they did this for the same reason they made only the alphanumeric section of the board H. E., rather than the whole thing: to keep the cost down. Not everyone cares so much about caps as we do, y’know.

Fortunately, you can get a set of HyperX Pudding caps (black or white) for ~$24 US (or your local equivalent) on Amazon that are just as good, and less dough, than the "official" ones. They’re double-shot POM, feel great, and have white bases that show off the Apex Pro’s lighting a lot better (but if you’re not into that you can turn it off, of course).

I love the Hall Effect switches. I don’t know if you’ve ever typed on any of those hulking vintage H.E. or other "contactless" boards (most of which can’t be used without serious custom adapting, not to mention a second mortgage), but I have, and the Apex Pro is as smooth as any of them. It may be hard to appreciate something that when you're used to clicky/tactile switches. But in the earlier days of computing, people spent a lot of time and money working to develop linear switches that were this s-m-o-o-t-h and dependable. Typing on them now, my hands feel like they're floating on a cloud.

You didn't mention the Apex Pro's variable actuation-height feature, which is another big deal about this board. Did you try it? You don’t need to install SS’s bloaty driver package for that. (It sounds like you don't care about customizing the lighting; that’s the only reason to bother with it.)

I don't know why SteelSeries didn’t explain the onboard settings procedure in their “quick start” booklet; seems like a major oversight. For what it's worth, here’s how you change the actuation depth:

1. Hold the lighted key below the volume roller for a few seconds, to enter menu mode.

2. Roll the volume roller to move the cursor down to Actuation, then press the roller (it’s a switch too) to enter that section.

3. Roll the roller to choose your actuation setting (1 = lowest, 10 = highest). You can try typing as you do this.

4. When you find the setting you like, press the lighted button a few times to back out of the menus.

I found 3 best—as light and quick as possible, but heavy enough to avoid false keypresses.

From there, accessing the other onboard features should be obvious.

The bottoming-out sound was a bit clacky for me (and let’s face it, you’re going bottom out on linear switches). But rather than bothering with O-rings, I went to the dollar store, got a piece of 1-mm craft foam, and made my own square 1-cm gaskets with a pen, ruler, paper punch and scissors. If you're at all into modding, it's quick, easy and fun. It nicely takes the edge off of clack without adding the bounce of rubber, and reduces key travel only subtlely (which I actually prefer, somewhere between standard and “speed-switch" depth).

As far as “the rest of the keyboard” goes—it’s 1 km, no flex, sits solidly on the desk, and has a nice clean, modern “floating key” design. What’s not to like? Maybe you prefer something fancier, but I can't think of anything I'd add or remove... It seems just right.

No, it’s not cheap, but it’s not a cheap board. I would’ve preferred a TKL—but as the TKL's become the world's top-selling gaming board, and manufacturers are still catching up coming out of the pandemic, everyone was sold (including SteelSeries's online shop). So I settled for a 104, which was actually $20 less. (Shouldn't fewer keys cost less, though? LOL) There weren’t many 104s around either, but I found one locally. And really, if having to reach a bit more for the mouse is a problem, it's a first-world-type one for sure.

Anyway, I’m sorry you were disappointed with your Apex Pro. Maybe if you got some better caps, played with the variable actuation (which you’ve got to admit, is quite a thing), and gave it a bit more time, you’d tune into it, as I have. Or maybe not—but personally, I'm glad I didn't let anyone talk me out of getting one. Cheers!

hellothere

06 Mar 2022, 22:47

I bought mine lightly used, just after they came out. I saved a bunch of cash. I also got the full-sized.

I rather like the caps that come with the keyboard. They're not "gamer font," nor are they the extra-cheap caps that have a line though various characters. However, yes, you could get something else, if you really don't like them.

I don't mind the unicorn vomit. I turned down the brightness and I use the very slow color sweep across the keyboard. It's relaxing.

I'm not a fan of linear switches. I prefer tactile. I'm not a fan of the Apex's key weighting (and, no, you can't get heavier springs for these switches). However, the switches are butter-smooth and I think that's the idea behind linear switches, after all. That buttery-ness is what keeps the KB in my rotation. Although, I don't remember where it is, ATM. I've been using my Nopre and this beast of an OmniKey for the past several weeks.

Do remember that only the main alpha key block has the Hall-Effect switches. The rest of the keyboard uses Gateron reds, which are also not bad.

Ander

07 Mar 2022, 11:53

hellothere wrote:
I bought mine lightly used, just after they came out. I saved a bunch of cash...
Well, they are Hall Effect switches, right? So, theoretically, the longest-lasting switches in the known universe. As my wife's dad would've said, they'll probably "see us out".
hellothere wrote:
I rather like the caps that come with the keyboard. They're not "gamer font," nor are they the extra-cheap caps that have a line though various characters. However, yes, you could get something else, if you really don't like them.
That's true, those tacky "stencil" fonts. (They do that to make double-shots cheaper, I guess...?)
hellothere wrote:
I don't mind the unicorn vomit. I turned down the brightness and I use the very slow color sweep across the keyboard...
Ha, "unicorn vomit". Chyros calls RGB boards "Christmas trees". But the AP's implementation really is quite good, with transitions as smooth as the switches. None of my other boards (mostly '80s/'90s) are lighted at all (well, okay, I have a Corsair K70 with red LEDs, LOL—it was considered pretty cool at the time), and the Apex's colours are the only thing my wife likes at all about MKs, so I thought I might as well whoop it up.
hellothere wrote:
I'm not a fan of linear switches. I prefer tactile...
I'd have to agree, when it comes to MX- and Alps-style switches. And yet, my favourite switch ever is the buckling spring (IBM Model F, M), which is neither clicky nor tactile. Everyone's different—but I find the most joy in MKs is rotating through them. They're all different people's ideas of excellence. You don't have to go crazy to have a pretty decent, representative collection. As good as any particular switch is, I find I eventually get used to it and stop appreciating it very much. So I type on others for a while—and when I return to the first, it feels and sounds almost as good as the first time I tried it. It's like having friends with different personalities. For me, it's the contrast that keeps it fun.
hellothere wrote:
I'm not a fan of the Apex's key weighting (and, no, you can't get heavier springs for these switches). However, the switches are butter-smooth and I think that's the idea behind linear switches...
And you have tried the variable actuation? I know it's not the same as spring weight, but don't you find that setting the actuation lower creates something of a heavier feeling?

I'm surprised the springs aren't similar enough to some existing ones to make a swap work. There are a lot of springs out there.
hellothere wrote:
I've been using my Nopre and this beast of an OmniKey for the past several weeks.
Ooh, OmniKey, nice! Heavy, solid. Mine came without the cable, which was a bit of a hassle, but it was worth the effort.
hellothere wrote:
Do remember that only the main alpha key block has the Hall-Effect switches. The rest of the keyboard uses Gateron reds, which are also not bad.
Yup—SteelSeries says they did that to keep the board's cost down, as the HE switches are pricey to make. (After all, they're much more than two pieces of metal touching.) The reds feel fine to me, and we don't use those keys nearly as much as the main section's—so in terms of switch life, it actually seems like overkill to HE everything.

And BTW, the HyperX "puddings" aren't POM, they're PBT. Well made, though, good-feeling and -looking, and an unusually good deal. (When was the last time you saw a $24 full key set that wasn't goofy/crappy? And did I mention my wife really likes them—which is amazing, since they're connected to an MK?)

And there was something odd about the stock keys that came on mine:

As you can see, the legends for colon/semicolon were reversed, and quotes were completely upside down. I wouldn't change the keys just for that reason—but you have to admit it's funny, considering how high-precision the switches are. :)

Muirium
µ

07 Mar 2022, 12:04

All the double legends I can see in that photo are in fact upSHIFTdown, so to speak.

hellothere

07 Mar 2022, 20:20

Ander wrote:
hellothere wrote:
I'm not a fan of the Apex's key weighting (and, no, you can't get heavier springs for these switches). However, the switches are butter-smooth and I think that's the idea behind linear switches...
And you have tried the variable actuation? I know it's not the same as spring weight, but don't you find that setting the actuation lower creates something of a heavier feeling?
Yes, I have. I essentially set it and forgot it. The factory setting had the actuation way too high for me.
Ander wrote:
I'm surprised the springs aren't similar enough to some existing ones to make a swap work. There are a lot of springs out there.
I think that the problem is that using a different spring screws up the actuation/the onboard keyboard computer and/or they're different enough from the MX design that you can't get any except for whatever Gateron put in them.

Go-Kart

07 Mar 2022, 21:30

Ander wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 11:47
It's funny, after my original post and returning the full size that was sent to me in error, I did purchase a TKL AP from direct from SS. Although I still stand by everything I said in my original post, it's the only keyboard that doesn't leave my desk. Now, this is in part due to it having a big, stupid, non-detachable cable; but primarily it is because I try and game for at least 30 minutes after work each day to wind down. I enjoy a bit of competitive FPS and I have found no keyboard better than the Apex Pro. Any picture I post of my current daily driver or whatever, the Steel Series can be seen glowing purple at the back of my desk :lol:

As for all that variable actuation stuff, I sorta CBA with that kind of thing. Out of the box, I just needed to get rid of the unicorn vomit and then start murdering people. I did change the caps out though. I swear I had a picture somewhere; I opted for Razer's double shot PBT Mercury (white) caps. I just wanted something cheap at the time, and they certainly did the job.

Go-Kart

07 Mar 2022, 21:33

Oh, and, the stabs can be lubed without dismantling the board. It ain't too easy but it is worth it to be rid of the rattle ...not that I can hear that over the grenades and gunfire but at least I know it sounds as it should.

davkol

30 Dec 2022, 00:25

Late 2022, there are a few additions to the product line. The new 2023 models have PBT doubleshots out of the box. There are wireless versions too (Bluetooth and proprietary USB dongle, switchable), and I don't know how recent this is, but there's also a 60% model besides full-size and tenkeyless; all advertised with ANSI, ISO and JIS layouts.

I recently got a chance to try the original version alongside some Keychron boards with Gateron Red (contact-based) switches. Apex Pro's omnipoints were pretty much perfectly smooth, but so were these gaterons to my surprise… perhaps it was the fancier Pro version? However, I prefer something a tad bit stiffer nowadays. Stiffer and quieter (although that's a function of the keyboard as whole too). Moreover, they were both wobblier than Cherry MX.

All this is just a novelty for me. There's practically no chance that I'll find the keyboard with JIS layout in Europe. While the on-board macro-recording feature is actually usable thanks to the built-in display, it's still too much hassle for me and the firmware seems to, quite inconveniently, record exact delays between keystrokes too. Meanwhile, Wooting has the Wootility for Linux and what not.

ifohancroft

30 Dec 2022, 18:54

If you are not opposed to opening the keyboard, taking pictures and measurements, I'd love to try and design a replacement case for it.

davkol

01 Jan 2023, 23:24

ifohancroft wrote:
If you are not opposed to opening the keyboard, taking pictures and measurements, I'd love to try and design a replacement case for it.
I might take another look at the old full-size version, but it's only the full-size wired one and Idk if the 2023 model isn't different either. Moreover, how would you deal with the built-in OLED screen and roller?

JCMax

07 Feb 2023, 06:05

I am leaning towards picking up the Apex Pro myself.

It makes sense the alphanumeric keys would be the only part that would have hall effect. Not just because it cuts down on cost, but that is also the only section most people might want to adjust. The other keys are not typed as frequently during typing or gaming, so there wouldn't be as much of a benefit.

It's appearance does seem to be lacking compared to other boards like the K100. The key-caps felt smooth to me, but I wouldn't mind swapping them for the Hyper X pudding key-caps. PBT and I think they will really give you the most out of the lighting effects (I am also looking for one board in my collection that can function as a Christmas tree).

ifohancroft

07 Feb 2023, 15:14

davkol wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 23:24
ifohancroft wrote:
I might take another look at the old full-size version, but it's only the full-size wired one and Idk if the 2023 model isn't different either. Moreover, how would you deal with the built-in OLED screen and roller?
I'm fine with making a case for a TKL or another version as well. Doesn't have to be just the full size.
As for the OLED screen and roller - the way the original case is - leave a cutout for them.

Elrick

08 Feb 2023, 07:06

ifohancroft wrote:
I'm fine with making a case for a TKL or another version as well.
Nothing wrong with a standard TKL layout.
ifohancroft wrote:
Doesn't have to be just the full size.
No of course not, 1800 styled would be my own personal choice, or 75%. Not too fussed between those 2 choices.
ifohancroft wrote:
As for the OLED screen and roller - the way the original case is - leave a cutout for them.
Ridiculous and not needed, too childlike, and most men prefer to have larger dials to twist and turn instead. You get rudimentary feedback and sometimes provides far more tactility, than any stupid-tiny OLED screen, with tiny buttons.

ifohancroft

15 Feb 2023, 16:06

Elrick wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 07:06
ifohancroft wrote:
Ridiculous and not needed, too childlike, and most men prefer to have larger dials to twist and turn instead. You get rudimentary feedback and sometimes provides far more tactility, than any stupid-tiny OLED screen, with tiny buttons.
Oh, I completely agree! However, we were talking about making a replacement case for the keyboard in CAD, so there's not much you can do about the keyboard having an OLED screen, how it's mounted or what its shape is.
I mean, I guess of course, you could make a case that just covers the screen and hides it, or has a custom shaped cutout that shows only a portion of the screen.

touteng

22 Jun 2023, 03:28

Have a Steelseries apex pro tkl I really like having different accusations for gaming and typing. Build quality is good the oled screen is cool and media controls. Been using mine for about a year no problems yet I really like it.

Daniel

24 Jun 2023, 09:20

A friend of mine has the 2021/2022 TKL version with the smaller OLED screen and I can confirm that the switches are very smooth and actually nice to type on. The LED backlighting can be turned off. Also the typing sound isn't high pitched and more like a "tock" sound. For someone who's in the market for linear keyboard with rather light actuation force e.g. like Cherry MX Red (45g) I consider this a worthwhile option.

Return to “Reviews”