New Model F77, quick review, keycap issues resolved

Zobeid Zuma

17 Sep 2021, 03:29

About three weeks ago I finally got my New Model F77. I got the classic beige case, split backspace and split right-shift, Mac modifier keys. I got through assembly (installing the keycaps) without too much difficulty, though I was a little confused by the stabilizer inserts, which were unlike any that I had encountered before. Once that was done, I flashed it with firmware for VIA. I've flashed other keyboards before, so maybe that's why I didn't have too much trouble with the process. It does require me to manually load the layout file every time I run VIA, which was not necessary with my other VIA-compatible boards. This seems to be due to the Model F not yet being officially supported, which means VIA can't find that layout online. (This is why I think VIAL may be the ultimate solution, with the layout files baked into the firmware on board the keyboard itself.)

Oddly, the keycap set that came with my board included everything needed to cover a Model M, which includes a lot of keys that don't even exist on the F77. The Mac modifiers came as extras in a little bag of their own, as did the HHKB-layout keys.

The keycaps that came with my board were. . . imperfect. Most of the legends were very crisp and super-dark, but alignment was inconsistent and on some keys downright awful. The keypad 0 key had the 0 hanging off the edge like a melted clock in a Salvador Dali painting. The numpad 7 was cocked at an angle like it was trying to escape. Several other keys across the board were askew or wonky to different degrees. Some people who saw them said maybe we should have just stuck with Unicomp. After sending Joe some photos of those keycaps, he felt the best way to address it was for me to return the entire set, and he would send replacements.

Those replacements arrived today, and they are night-and-day improved. After careful inspection, the only nitpick I have is that the top row += legend is slightly elevated relative to the other keys. Everything else is about as close to perfect as I could hope for, and worthy to match the IBM standard.

So. . . How’s the board?

Well, it sounds and feels like a Model F. I think it's much closer to the XT than the AT, which is not surprising due to the metal chassis. I think it's a smidge less smooth and pleasing than my well broken-in XT, but that's to be expected. The AT is still my favorite for sound and feeling, but oh well. . .

Some have complained about the lack of feet to elevate the rear. There are actually a couple of holes in the case where somebody could easily bolt on some feet. I even found some old aluminum feet from another keyboard, a past project, that fit it, although they're slightly on the small side.

I'm very happy with the key layout that I got. It's really an effective modern layout, a good 60% plus the 15-key pad that can be set up however you want. I have mine set up as close as possible to the classic number pad with nav functions. (Oddly, the one key I'm really missing for this was a 1u sized plus key, but I have a blank in that space for now.) Okay, in an ideal world I would want a split spacebar and the pad on the left instead of the right, but then it wouldn't be what it is; it wouldn't be a repro Model F.

In summary: It was a long wait, but I can't argue with the end product. This entire project is simply one of the most epic things ever done in the mechanical keyboard scene. Well worth.

Muirium
µ

18 Sep 2021, 11:27

Solid endorsement!

As an OG Kishsaver user (I haven't handled one of Ellipse's remakes) I find the bit about keyfeel strange, but I suppose it's subjective and all. I've an XT, AT and 4704. The Kish feels magnificent, easily better than the other two. The AT and XT are quite similar, compared to it. The Kishsaver's got an extra slick metal smoothness, the keys feel lighter and so much more anchored to its zinc slab of a case. You know the difference between an AT and an XT? The AT's a bit… feeble versus an XT with your eyes closed, just one key at a time? I prefer the AT as well, layout wise, but the XT's a little *sharper*. Well, imagine that times at least 10X and you've got the OG 4704. It's the apotheosis of buckling spring, in my experience. And I've handled 4 in my time.

Shame about those first caps you got, but the replacements were worth it in the end. Kinda tempted to nab some of those for my vintage boards. What do you think? And what's so strange about their stabilisers?

Zobeid Zuma

20 Sep 2021, 20:21

Muirium wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 11:27
You know the difference between an AT and an XT? The AT's a bit… feeble versus an XT with your eyes closed, just one key at a time? I prefer the AT as well, layout wise, but the XT's a little *sharper*. Well, imagine that times at least 10X and you've got the OG 4704.
I guess that's a matter of perspective and personal preference. Yes, the XT is sharper—or harsher, as I would say—than the AT, and that's exactly why I prefer the AT. But if that sharp, crisp feeling is what you like, then you should be happy with the new Model F.
Shame about those first caps you got, but the replacements were worth it in the end. Kinda tempted to nab some of those for my vintage boards. What do you think? And what's so strange about their stabilisers?
I think the keycaps are a good option, as long as you get ones like my second set. And that might go double for Model M users, since it's basically a Model M key set.

The stabilizer inserts are just a type I've never seen or used before. They are plastic sleeves that insert into a standard key barrel and turn that into a stabilizer. They're not complicated, but they are a tight fit, and they have to be oriented correctly, and I wasn't sure how far into the barrel they need to be inserted. The answer turned out to be: all the way, until flush with the top. All this info is in the technical manual and on the website, but you have to dig some to find it.

Return to “Reviews”