Cherry MX Clear switch review

Reimu64

26 Sep 2021, 22:08

The MX Clear. A classic tactile switch from Cherry. Frankly, I wish it was available in more modern keyboards.

Muirium
µ

26 Sep 2021, 22:35

Reimu64 wrote:
Frankly, I wish it was available in more modern keyboards.
Because you’re a finger sadist? ;)

Findecanor

27 Sep 2021, 00:19

The MX Clears are my favourite — with the original spring. The thing is that the spring's stiffness is not apparent until after the bump, when I think that it cushions my key strokes, preventing me from bottoming out. Once you've got used to typing on them without bottoming out, they are therefore actually not tiring to type on. (I've praised it so many times now that I probably type the same sentence every time. sorry)

I have not bought any new MX Clear switches for a long time though, because of the existence of clone switches — which have been smoother and have had been less tight in the keycaps. The MX Clear's I've got were noticeably scratchy actually, so they had to be lubed for smoothness. They were also difficult to use in handwired keyboards if I ever wanted to pull a keycap.
A few years ago, Cherry remade the tooling of the mainstream switches (red, brown, black, blue) which made them smoother than they had been just before. I wonder if they have improved also the MX Clear's tooling ... enough that it would make new MX Clears again worthwhile getting.

The first versions of Zealio switches (and Zilents) were actually "Ergo Clears", with a clone slider, but later Zeal changed the tactility ("Zealio V2").
The Durock T1 (and Tacit) are also quite close to being "Ergo Clears".

Jack/>

27 Sep 2021, 02:52

I got one of the G80-3000 with such switches , as for me very heavy springs . I think to replace it with 45g . does anyone use these switches as the main ones? ( In stock or converted ? )
Attachments
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 5179 times

Elrick

27 Sep 2021, 03:16

Jack/> wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 02:52
I got one of the G80-3000 with such switches , as for me very heavy springs . I think to replace it with 45g . does anyone use these switches as the main ones? ( In stock or converted ? )
I've got a collection of ClearMX switched keyboards (stock and converted) that only I use.

The kids are always moaning about their stiffness and how their fingers get tired using them but alas, I have keyboards that they will leave alone.

Nice having keyboards in the house that are left alone, unlike the Thorpies, some Logitech's and Korean's.

Jack/>

27 Sep 2021, 07:35

When I put stickers on these switches, I will write whether I liked them or not.

Reimu64

28 Sep 2021, 01:07

Muirium wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 22:35
Reimu64 wrote:
Frankly, I wish it was available in more modern keyboards.
Because you’re a finger sadist? ;)
Well, I did manage to beat Dirt Rally when it came out on a cheapo rubber dome board when everyone back tend told me it was only really playable with a “proper setup”… So maybe, more of a masochist? No idea haha

Anyway, I like these switches. I want people with MX Browns to experience the tactility for once!

Return to “Reviews”