Drop Halo True tactile switch: 1st impressions

hellothere

24 Mar 2022, 19:26

Ouch.

That has been my 1st impression review of the Drop Halo True tactile switch. Thanks for reading!

OK, frivolity aside, let me elaborate a bit. I have used a bunch of Cherry and Cherry clone switches, including Box switches and other "not exactly Cherry clone" switches. My preferred weighting on just about any switch is somewhat slightly north of 45g, which is the weighting of your standard Cherry MX blue. This isn't because I like Cherry MX blue. Just coincidence. I've got 45g on my Nopre and Topre Realforce. I think the weighting on my 55g Realforce is a bit too much, but the weighting on Alps SKCM tactile browns feels fantastic, even though the weighting on browns is more than 55g.

The weighting on the Halo switches feel around 100g. I base this on actually having a couple Alps heavy blue switches lying around.

The "ouch" part is because about 30 min into typing, my forearms were hurting. A lot. The day after I tested the switches, too. I don't type properly: one or two fingers on the right, three or four fingers on the left and I always bottom out. It makes me wonder what problems a real typist might experience. Some finger or wrist fatigue, I'd think.

I bought these switches because they were advertised as being both very close to a Topre in feel and were supposed to be extremely tactile. Considering the Topre 55g is the most tactile in Topre's lineup and I have one, I thought it'd be nice to try them out. I can say that there's a good degree of smoothness in the Halo, but the feel isn't really that close to the tactility of the 55g.

What I think I'll do is get some other springs for these switches and see if I can get the feels I'd like.

Return to “Reviews”