MM Studio Class80 keyboard review (Chosfox Arctic Fox switches)

Chyros

10 Nov 2022, 13:55

Today we look at two things at once - the MM Studio Class80 keyboard kit, and the Chosfox Arctic Fox clickbar switch! Two birds with one stone and all that. hope you enjoy the video! :)

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2022, 19:43

Those caps… tries to pay attention to rest of vid… ;)

Dear as fuck: correct. Shame they don’t collaborate on boards like this as widely before pressing into production. That ribbon cable is simply Unicomparrific, as is the ISO Return actually. Up at this level there’s no excuse.

The solenoid aye looks the piece. Must say it sounds wimpy compared to the seventies secretarial pool thumper in my 3278, as that old fucker rocks! That’s why it’s bloody well turned off. :lol:

These switches seem promising though.

Elrick

17 Nov 2022, 07:35

Chyros, you should have replaced those boring pedestrian junk-keys, with some decent SA PBT action all the way. At least it would have looked appropriate for the time period.

Never liked plain Jane key-caps on an older styled keyboard. Doesn't work and mainly helps demean the overall design here.

Although I would have liked seeing a 109 or 113 keyed giant here, which was what existed all those decades ago. Either go BIG or go home - My mantra.

TKLs are becoming quite boring now, seen so many, and they are starting to all merge together into one form of complete garbage. Only the weight difference is becoming important now, to help distinguish one TKL model from another.

Although your review helps to highlight another design into the mainstream here, hence why manufacturers are using you to spruik their wares. Hoping you at least get paid for their PR, nothing worse than spruiking for FREE in 2022 and beyond.

Remember that in Life now, nothing is FREE and neither should it expect to be. Maintain your income, by any means possible.

Chyros

17 Nov 2022, 08:07

Elrick wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 07:35
Although your review helps to highlight another design into the mainstream here, hence why manufacturers are using you to spruik their wares. Hoping you at least get paid for their PR, nothing worse than spruiking for FREE in 2022 and beyond.

Remember that in Life now, nothing is FREE and neither should it expect to be. Maintain your income, by any means possible.
I don't get any money for my videos at all, this is why I'm completely reliant on donations. I say no to the vast majority of donations, however. Lots of companies try to send me stuff, but it's generally not interesting or innovating enough.

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2022, 11:05

Elrick means well, I’m sure. He just doesn’t read that way at all! :lol:

Paid YouTube shilling has no place on DT. That insufferable trash is Google’s bread and butter, no stealing now!

Elrick

18 Nov 2022, 04:30

Muirium wrote:
Yeah, my typing abilities removed any sentiment, hence it sounds all too abrupt. Sorry, because at work, no one pays me to beat about the bush when it comes to examining other failures, within the Company.
Muirium wrote:
Paid YouTube shilling has no place on DT. That insufferable trash is Google’s bread and butter, no stealing now!
At least Google shills are enjoying the kickbacks and holiday's. YouTube is the way of the world, and still holding onto past rules and legislations, is what will hurt Chyros. I truly want him to enjoy all the benefits without just making YouTube prosper. Why shouldn't Chyros prosper as well?

We can't have this one-sided viewpoint in Life, in which only Evil gets rewarded, and the Good gets shafted and ignored.

If he truly wants to waste an inordinate amount of time examining these keyboards then good on him, but do realise that with a current recession biting down hard across the Western World, suspect hanging onto 'empty rules' will seem quite ludicrous in the 21st Century.

Gawd knows that even whole Countries no longer follow any International rules/laws, these days. Hence, why should we?

We have not yet moved into a Star Trek economy/existence, any time soon......

Chyros

18 Nov 2022, 10:06

Elrick wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 04:30
Muirium wrote:
Yeah, my typing abilities removed any sentiment, hence it sounds all too abrupt. Sorry, because at work, no one pays me to beat about the bush when it comes to examining other failures, within the Company.
Muirium wrote:
At least Google shills are enjoying the kickbacks and holiday's. YouTube is the way of the world, and still holding onto past rules and legislations, is what will hurt Chyros. I truly want him to enjoy all the benefits without just making YouTube prosper. Why shouldn't Chyros prosper as well?
You're not wrong, and I don't apologise to anyone for the time I did take money from Youtube. Partially because it was my only income at the time, as my main job of >70 hours a week didn't pay me a single penny. Takeaway, don't do a PhD in the UK, kids! :p

The reasons why I stopped the monetisation wasn't because I thought it was unethical of me to take money (although some here think it was). I mainly did it because I didn't want my hobby to become a job or feel like I owed anyone anything. There's a lot to that but I'll spare you the details. I don't think it biased me in any way to begin with either, because I never took money from any companies who supplied me with keyboards, I only got money from Youtube. I didn't do any sponsorships or anything either.

Elrick

30 Nov 2022, 06:28

Chyros wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 10:06
The reasons why I stopped the monetisation wasn't because I thought it was unethical of me to take money (although some here think it was). I mainly did it because I didn't want my hobby to become a job or feel like I owed anyone anything.
Chyros, might be the absolute last person on Planet Earth doing it for the Love of Keyboards.

Your conviction might eventually hurt you here, but I applaud your choice in still continuing along this path. Despite a recession and inflation, biting down hard.

Everyone around you is making Money, except you, this is almost like a type of 'Religious Fervour' being exposed to us here on DT.

Bless you, for doing this for us.

Return to “Reviews”