Lofree 1% keyboard review (Kailh Jellyfish switches)

Chyros

27 Nov 2022, 18:06

Today we look at a rather blitzy "1%" keyboard by Lofree. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2022, 23:14

The chopped % sign looks to be a visual pun on the ¢ (cent) symbol, because yo dawg.

The price is laughable, but a fine excuse to bring in those big boys, inc. “a fucking Model F”.

The switches may feel lighter than reds because of the relatively tall and heavy caps. SA profile makes any given switch feel a heck of a lot lighter than DSA or Cherry profile, an effect which still surprises me when I switch them out on a board. Don’t know if it’s a leverage or cap weight thing so much as a psychological one. (Like being caught out by an empty jug.)

davkol

28 Nov 2022, 15:11

Muirium wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 23:14
The switches may feel lighter than reds because of the relatively tall and heavy caps. SA profile makes any given switch feel a heck of a lot lighter than DSA or Cherry profile, an effect which still surprises me when I switch them out on a board. Don’t know if it’s a leverage or cap weight thing so much as a psychological one. (Like being caught out by an empty jug.)
The difference is significant only on large keys, esp. the spacebar, or with metal keycaps.

~1-gram difference doesn't cut it on a ~50cN switch.

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2022, 19:49

Either physical leverage or the mistaken anticipation thereof, then. Because the tall caps vs. low caps feel change is (psychologically) real.

Elrick

30 Nov 2022, 06:41

Muirium wrote:
Because the tall caps vs. low caps feel change is (psychologically) real.
100% Correct. Have always hated low profiled key-caps. They look like cheapo ABS caps that were used in the late 90's on some fugly keyboards models.

Also, noting Chyros comment on 'Hideous' legends is quite apt. Imagine being Chinese, trying to understand the idiot West's English standard, truly horrifying to them, understand their suffering here.

They think choosing that style of Font on their keyboard would make them attractive to the younger users here, that would be my view on their choice. If this keyboard was marketed towards us oldies, then expect the re-introduction of Helvetica, yet again (not bad).

The Chinese see the sales of custom like keyboards trending into positive territory for them, hence every accountant will encourage their venture into these style of keyboards, if they are selling well.

Very cheap for them to make these type of keyboards due to having tonnes of moulds already available, to use. Also, thousands of plastics, that can be used by them.

Their introduction of heat-sealed key-caps is unique here because basically each key is thoroughly sealed, that includes air proofed and might even be liquid proof as well. Would love to see those SA styled caps submerged into water, to see how well sealed they truly are :lol: .
Last edited by Elrick on 30 Nov 2022, 06:51, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

30 Nov 2022, 22:47

Elrick wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 06:41
Muirium wrote:
Because the tall caps vs. low caps feel change is (psychologically) real.
100% Correct. Have always hated low profiled key-caps. They look like cheapo ABS caps that were used in the late 90's on some fugly keyboards models.
Grr! I don’t share your low regard for low profiles, at all!

OG Cherry profile caps are some of the very best out there. Vastly better than the usual “OEM” style, and indeed I prefer them over SA as well. I also rate regular Topre caps far higher than HiPro, which I find the most boring sphericals out there: all height, no style.

It’s not strictly a height thing with me, though, there’s a lot more to it than height alone: for instance I don’t much like low slung DSA, despite them being really quite nicely dished sphericals. I can’t neatly boil it down to just one axis. But you go leave those epic little short caps alone! ;)

Elrick

06 Dec 2022, 06:43

Muirium wrote:

OG Cherry profile caps are some of the very best out there.
BST done caps in PBT. ALWAYS the very best example. Gave up on the ABS GMK rubbish, they just turn into slippery junkware caps, eventually.
Muirium wrote:
Vastly better than the usual “OEM” style, and indeed I prefer them over SA as well. I also rate regular Topre caps far higher than HiPro, which I find the most boring sphericals out there: all height, no style.
Completely opposite here, LOVE me the Height and Weight of PBT Key-caps. Simply the very best when installed into any "IBM-Styled" Keyboard.

Also, don't be going after my Topre caps, they are real nice for a supplied cap design in given keyboard models. Realforce Keyboards simply rule in the world of Topre. Everything else, is just simply a disaster/should never have been built, pretending to be Topre.
Muirium wrote:
I can’t neatly boil it down to just one axis. But you go leave those epic little short caps alone! ;)
Epic should be applied to REAL BIG Key-caps because they deserve their title of being value for money and crammed full of PBT Goodness. That can never be denied nor ignored, unless you personally lack any sense of decency when it comes to using and acquiring these beautiful Key-caps.

Have dozens of complete Sets of Topre, in virtually every colour that was made. Happy to have them fill out my coffin, as I'm laid to rest.

Realforce is still my own personal addiction, even for 2022 and beyond. Will never stop buying more of them, even during this Recession.

Muirium
µ

06 Dec 2022, 10:01

ABS is denser than PBT, mind. You can always tell them apart when you give them a wash.

Return to “Reviews”