HHKB Pro Hybrid Type S - PCG

RBithrey

06 Feb 2023, 11:08

I wrote some words about the HHKB for PC Gamer!

https://www.pcgamer.com/hhkb-profession ... -s-review/

Elrick

08 Feb 2023, 07:00

Yeah, dodgy review trying to sell a keyboard rarely used by the majority, during these times.

Even the most affluent amongst us have left the building in regard to HHKB philosophy. Especially during these times when the money is losing its actual worth, yet these keyboards aren't worth the asking price (all plastic models).

More people have instead gone with other models like Realforce (personally loved and owned by me) because the same amount of money, gets you more real estate every time.

Suspect HHKB is desperate to keep relevancy during these times because eventually it shall get shelved because little interest in a cheapo made keyboard, from Japan.

For my money today, any keyboard must have the bare minimum of a metal plate under the keys (on top pcb) before demanding ridiculous cash up front. Plus now having the whole keyboard done in Aluminium, has become the norm for even lower pricing and ease of availability compared to the HHKB.

Also, having an endless variety of switches to swap out and exchange, helps to further make the HHKB quite redundant, during these times.

Elrick

09 Feb 2023, 01:57

If you want some authentic Thorpie-fun on the cheap, then go here and purchase;

https://www.nizkeyboard.com/

Just put in an order for my daughter, she will enjoy some 35g fun. She's young, so I won't force her to use the 45g models yet.

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2023, 07:58

Elrick wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 01:57
If you want some inauthentic Thorpie-fun on the cheap
FTFY. They’re really not the same. Just look at the thing, let alone type on it. ;)

HHKBs can be had for cheapskate money if you’re diligent. (Or I wouldn’t have either of mine.) And yes other keyboards also remain available.

wobbled

10 Feb 2023, 01:53

Mu is correct, HHKBs are often as cheap if not cheaper than Niz
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394262996285
Not to mention they are better in every way, and only get better with age!

Elrick

10 Feb 2023, 07:36

wobbled wrote:
Oh PULLEEEZZEE, another Flebay spruik here on DT?

Again we see the HHKB zealots out in force, desperately wanting to believe in their own fake-reality. Currently, like the current Administration.

Sometimes when the crap costs a lot of money doesn't make it better than then cheaper junk, it's still expensive crapola, no excuse here.

ABS casing that yellows like 6 month underwear on a mining site, doesn't make it superior in any way whatsoever. Even the cheapo Niz keyboards, are all done in PBT - so there's no excuse here.

I tried using a HHKB keyboard, just a huge massive fail simply because trying to force yourself into that weird world of HHKB Japanese eccentricity, is akin to choking in a rope bind done by an ex-girlfriend, determined to see you suffer for days before passing out.

Also, would never force any of my children into that sick world of HHKB. Just too cruel to put them through it, unless I really hated them.

wobbled

10 Feb 2023, 08:34

Elrick wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 07:36
wobbled wrote:
Oh PULLEEEZZEE, another Flebay spruik here on DT?

Again we see the HHKB zealots out in force, desperately wanting to believe in their own fake-reality. Currently, like the current Administration.

Sometimes when the crap costs a lot of money doesn't make it better than then cheaper junk, it's still expensive crapola, no excuse here.

ABS casing that yellows like 6 month underwear on a mining site, doesn't make it superior in any way whatsoever. Even the cheapo Niz keyboards, are all done in PBT - so there's no excuse here.

I tried using a HHKB keyboard, just a huge massive fail simply because trying to force yourself into that weird world of HHKB Japanese eccentricity, is akin to choking in a rope bind done by an ex-girlfriend, determined to see you suffer for days before passing out.

Also, would never force any of my children into that sick world of HHKB. Just too cruel to put them through it, unless I really hated them.
Too right Ebay! I’ve bought a couple from this seller to ensure I have a lifetime supply, that is how highly I think of this board. I’ve also sold off any IBM and Alps board I owned before it.

Your point on yellowing is an interesting one. People in the conical keyboards discord are actively seeking yellowed pro 1s and early 2006 pro 2s for their yellow cases and extremely snappy domes.
Unlike a lot of boards from a similar era, yellowing somehow suits the pro 1 and 2.

If you bought a newer classic pro hybrid they are much less likely to yellow due to being made from UV Resistant AES instead of ABS, so PFU have fixed that issue for you at least.

You refer to Niz as ‘cheap’ which simply is not the case. If you’re comparing retail prices then you might be able to pick up a niz for a few quid less than a hhkb, but thanks to resellers of new stock, and the amount of used boards there’s simply better and cheaper deals out there for hhkb than there is for niz.

You will convert to a happy hacker eventuality. It’s the natural progression from a boring old realforce 😃

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2023, 09:25

Indeed!

The thing with Niz (why did they name their product after a typoed bodily fluid?) is they’re a pale imitation of Topre indeed, and not nearly cheap enough to justify it. Their tactility is way off (I love those feel diagrams Gokart made for his review I linked earlier, they say it all!) and their looks are down beneath tacky Cooler Master and pals. Come on! Pick a better vehicle for your wild Topre hatred. ;)

Elrick

26 Feb 2023, 06:40

wobbled wrote:
Your point on yellowing is an interesting one. People in the conical keyboards discord are actively seeking yellowed pro 1s and early 2006 pro 2s for their yellow cases and extremely snappy domes.
Unlike a lot of boards from a similar era, yellowing somehow suits the pro 1 and 2.
It's yellowing because that's what ABS plastic does. Hence it got hit with outside light hence the yellowing. Cheap plastic like ABS is utterly worthless, should not of been used for an expensive keyboard model such as this. Also when it's accidentally dropped down onto a hard floor, do expect cracks to occur on the yellowed plastic because that's what happens to ABS when it undergoes it's chemical change, from a flexible case to a hard and brittle one. Takes on the quality of crystal, when hit or dropped.

Suppose easy profit for them, because the Japanese have seen how easy it is to extract money from fools. Just spruik it and get Tech Lifestylers to promote it constantly, and you'll get the ill-informed rushing in to pay hundreds to own one.
wobbled wrote:
If you bought a newer classic pro hybrid they are much less likely to yellow due to being made from UV Resistant AES instead of ABS, so PFU have fixed that issue for you at least.
The one I bought for my youngest is starting to change colour, due to being down here in Convict Town. Always a summer's hell-hole on planet earth.
wobbled wrote:
You refer to Niz as ‘cheap’ which simply is not the case. If you’re comparing retail prices then you might be able to pick up a niz for a few quid less than a hhkb, but thanks to resellers of new stock, and the amount of used boards there’s simply better and cheaper deals out there for hhkb than there is for niz.
Secondhand keyboards are not my thing anymore. Don't care on how good it looks because it's still got that cheapo ABS casing despite your claims.

The Niz is always available to my address, on the cheap, oddly enough. $16.00AUD shipping and arrived four days later from Taiwan. No excuses given, makes a change when dealing with anyone in Europe or America these days, wanting hundreds of dollars to ship a single item.
wobbled wrote:
You will convert to a happy hacker eventuality. It’s the natural progression from a boring old realforce 😃
No, please, Realforce and Niz is all I need now, the HHKB is not worth the money demanded, especially the secondhand ones. Even when the current HHKB for my son breaks down, it goes into the bin because I told him, he'll get a new Niz keyboard and be happy with it.

The days of constantly throwing money at them for fun and enjoyment, should be coming to a close.

Also heaps of other keyboard choices currently chasing my wallet, so all's good and great with regard to further keyboard acquirement.

But it never ends........

wobbled

26 Feb 2023, 11:01

We know that ABS turns yellow from exposure to UV and heat. The point I was making is that there’s currently a discord community actively seeking out old Pro 1 and early gen Pro 2 boards that have turned near orange. Yellowing can look like shit on most boards, but on a HHKB it has a certain charm.
Also why would I be dropping a HHKB onto hard floor? It lives either on my desk, in a drawer, or in a bag. I would be worried about myself if I genuinely thought me dropping it on a hard floor is gonna be a problem - so incredibly unlikely.

Do you have any pictures of your kids hhkb? I’m intrigued to see how badly they yellow if at all since AES is much less prone to it than ABS

It’s great you can get your hands on boards without getting screwed, I know you Australians don’t get it easy when buying tech. It’s just a shame you’re wasting it on niz😂
Those boards are practically impossible to repair or modify if you get their waterproof RGB versions. And their standard boards don’t take to OEM Topre domes very well, so you’re stuck with poor topre imitation domes that look like they came from a dell sk8115.

Considering I can pick up a brand new HHKB for £85 and set myself up with a lifetime supply, Niz is far from a decent option. I think you would feel the same way if you didn’t live in AUS.

HHKB and Realforce are priced very similar, and for good reason - they are quality boards.
Be sure to let us know how the hhkb classic is going in 20-30 years when it will no doubt still be more than capable of being a daily driver. Unless of course it gets magically ‘dropped on a hard floor’ and replaced with a cheap imitation board 😂

Go-Kart

19 May 2023, 08:45

Gonna ignore the salt, and pose a simple question: Why do Fujitsu keep on making HHKBs uglier and uglier!? I mean, my White Hybrid isn't a pretty as a Pro 2, but the newest model is the review is even further from the previous understated beauty! Wrong bloody direction.

Muirium
µ

19 May 2023, 09:47

Go-Kart wrote:
Wrong bloody direction.
Yeah, I’m tempted to pull a Wobbly and stock up on Pro 2s while they can still be had for new. Any tips on sourcing more white ones will be well received. :lol:

I like that PFU is trying. I just don’t like what they’re trying. Gimme OG classics!

To be fair: they’d be hard pressed to make a new model that appeals to me. It would have to be as programmable as my Hasu controllers, and as pretty as the original, with internal USB charged battery, no humpback. The PBT spacebars and improved shell material are steps in the right direction, though. And they could definitely beat Hasu’s artful hack for battery life. A true to spirit—and to form—USB C, internally charging, deeply programmable, multi-host Bluetooth successor to the Pro 2 would make an admirable Pro 3. Hint hint!

Go-Kart

19 May 2023, 09:57

We must pray to the PFU Shinto God.

Muirium
µ

19 May 2023, 11:39

Spoiler:

JCMax

29 May 2023, 19:43

Muirium wrote:
19 May 2023, 09:47
Go-Kart wrote:
Wrong bloody direction.
Yeah, I’m tempted to pull a Wobbly and stock up on Pro 2s while they can still be had for new. Any tips on sourcing more white ones will be well received. :lol:

I like that PFU is trying. I just don’t like what they’re trying. Gimme OG classics!
At first I was just indifferent to the bulge on my Hybrid where the battery pack was. But the more I look at it, the more I start to feel like... :?: . That is especially since I got the classic and have a proper shape to compare it to.

Another reason why I don't want to get the Snow is because of the font. It just adds HIDEOUS-ness. And I prefer the key feel of the Classic to the Hybrid. Yet the hybrid is more money :?

As much as I want to try the Pro 1, all I can find on eBay is the Pro 2. :(

wobbled

29 May 2023, 20:05

The Pro 1 really isn’t much different, the only advantage being the slimmer profile (slightly) and very stiff domes.
I have a 2012 pro 2 that has stiff domes as well, so you might as well buy a cheap pro 2 while you still can. £80 brand new is an incredible deal when you consider Chyrosrans number 1 complaint was the price - you can get topre cheaper than Niz now.

Muirium
µ

29 May 2023, 23:24

Well, black ones. I still want a spare white one for my OCD devil’s private collection. :roll:

wobbled

30 May 2023, 08:23

Muirium wrote:
29 May 2023, 23:24
Well, black ones. I still want a spare white one for my OCD devil’s private collection. :roll:
This wouldn’t cost much at all to import, you can under declare value with sendico and have it shipped for a few quid :twisted:
Its a type S too!
https://www.sendico.com/mercari/item/m67213967954

Muirium
µ

31 May 2023, 00:08

Away it goes. And it wasn’t me. :roll:

Thanks for the tip, though. It was evidently a good one!

JCMax

01 Jun 2023, 04:17

wobbled wrote:
The Pro 1 really isn’t much different, the only advantage being the slimmer profile (slightly) and very stiff domes.
I have a 2012 pro 2 that has stiff domes as well, so you might as well buy a cheap pro 2 while you still can. £80 brand new is an incredible deal when you consider Chyrosrans number 1 complaint was the price - you can get topre cheaper than Niz now.
I scouted ebay. Wasn't able to find one that cheap brand new, but I did find a used one for a pretty decent price.

wobbled

01 Jun 2023, 12:36

JCMax wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 04:17
wobbled wrote:
I scouted ebay. Wasn't able to find one that cheap brand new, but I did find a used one for a pretty decent price.
They are readily available in the UK for £80. Get your next holiday here planned 👍

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2023, 12:44

The Pro 2 is, in any colour you want, so long as it's black. ;)

I can vouch for those: typing on mine now. Came exactly as new.

wobbled

02 Jun 2023, 02:23

Muirium wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 12:44
The Pro 2 is, in any colour you want, so long as it's black. ;)

I can vouch for those: typing on mine now. Came exactly as new.
It's worth using sendico / buyee to keep an eye on the japanese market because all the best deals seem to be there. Using sendico I can often get realforce or hhkb with shipping costs of around 15-20gbp
https://www.sendico.com/ayahoo/item/p1086126062
Not a bad price for a type-s but there will be cheaper with a bit of patience and persistence.

Return to “Reviews”