Review : Matias Quiet Pro

Mrinterface

01 Oct 2012, 18:00

Coming up soon :

The Mrinterface Matias Quiet Pro keyboard video review.

Here's a pic :
The Matias Quiet Pro keyboard
The Matias Quiet Pro keyboard
matiasquietpro.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 10422 times
First impression :
Very quiet and they fixed those flimsy feet! ;-)

Second impression :
It feels kinda similar to the SGI AT101

REVIEW:

Icarium

01 Oct 2012, 18:06

wheeee
\o/

EDIT: Yeah, okay, this post doesn't have a lot of content. Sorry! ;)

itlnstln

01 Oct 2012, 20:59

I'm dumb; I know this, but does the "quiet" 'board have the dampened sliders (I would assume so by the comparison to the SGI)?

bhtooefr

01 Oct 2012, 21:33

Do the keys have the ridiculous wobble and imprecision of the Tactile Pro 3?

itlnstln

01 Oct 2012, 21:40

bhtooefr wrote:Do the keys have the ridiculous wobble and imprecision of the Tactile Pro 3?
Easy. Matias might beg to differ.

That said, I totally agree. I hope Matias' redesign addressed this.

Findecanor

01 Oct 2012, 22:28

itlnstln wrote:I'm dumb; I know this, but does the "quiet" 'board have the dampened sliders (I would assume so by the comparison to the SGI)?
There is a picture of the slider on Diatec's order page with a blue arrow pointing at a rubber damper.

itlnstln

01 Oct 2012, 22:37

Findecanor wrote:
itlnstln wrote:I'm dumb; I know this, but does the "quiet" 'board have the dampened sliders (I would assume so by the comparison to the SGI)?
There is a picture of the slider on Diatec's order page with a blue arrow pointing at a rubber damper.
Thanks! This just got a little more interesting.

AKIMbO

06 Oct 2012, 01:46

I'm really interested in a further in depth comparison between the new Matias quiet pro switches and the SGI dampened cream alps. I already have an SGI with dampened cream alps and am planning on replacing all the switches in an old Zenith ZKB2-AT board with either the new Matias tactile or the new Matias clicky switches.

If the new Matias tactile switches are that similar to the SGI dampened cream alps, then I will probably go with the Matias clicky switches for the Zenith.

Mrinterface

06 Oct 2012, 13:49

Update :

I don't want to video review this keyboard too quick. I want to have some mileage on it before I can properly judge it.
It's slowly growing on me : I really liked my SGI AT101 and hated to kill it for the switch try bags, but I am beginning to believe the quiet pro is a worthy replacement. I think matias did an excellent job on the new switch. I mean : they completely overhauled the fukka alps switch and made a better more durable alternative that up to now lives up to its promise : a tactile non-clicky Alps mount switch with a very nice tactile actuation point.

furosuto81

07 Oct 2012, 03:37

I have the all-black PC version of this keyboard. I prefer the look of the mac silver & black version (not crazy about the glossy black case), but I'll primarily be using this board at work on PCs. I haven't really had a chance to try it out (this work week will be my chance). I don't have an SGI AT101, but I do have an AEKII, and the switches feel very similar. I have a gallery of photos you all might be interested in taking a look at. Looking forward to Mr Interface's review!

Matias

07 Oct 2012, 07:33

AKIMbO wrote:I'm really interested in a further in depth comparison between the new Matias quiet pro switches and the SGI dampened cream alps. I already have an SGI with dampened cream alps and am planning on replacing all the switches in an old Zenith ZKB2-AT board with either the new Matias tactile or the new Matias clicky switches.
It's been a long time since I've used an SGI keyboard, but my vague recollection is that it is less tactile than the Quiet Pro.

I have several AEKII which use the same switch as the SGI, but they don't all feel the same. I don't know if it's because they're old, but only one of them felt properly tactile. I was able to "fix" them by taking the switches apart and messing with the click leaf, but that's a lot of work.

Matias

07 Oct 2012, 07:34

furosuto81 wrote:I have a gallery of photos you all might be interested in taking a look at. Looking forward to Mr Interface's review!
Nice pics!

cookie

08 Oct 2012, 15:52

Can't wait to see the video review ;)
You killed the SGI for the switch try bag?

Outch... I'd love to get my hands on one, the only Alps switch I ever tried was a black one from an old Dell AT102w.
I didn't like the switch...

Mrinterface

08 Oct 2012, 20:44

Edel wrote: You killed the SGI for the switch try bag?
Yeps.

It still hurts.... :-(

Findecanor

08 Oct 2012, 21:25

I hope that you have kept everything but the switches, so that you could bring it back now.

Mrinterface

08 Oct 2012, 22:28

Findecanor wrote:I hope that you have kept everything but the switches, so that you could bring it back now.
Yes, still have its carcass.... :-)

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Oct 2012, 22:15

furosuto81 wrote:I have a gallery of photos you all might be interested in taking a look at. Looking forward to Mr Interface's review!
wiki them :-)

Interesting keycaps – they're apparently engraved, but they look like a whiter Cherry infill, as the legends all appear to be significantly raised above the surface of the keycap.

Looking forwards to finding out how we differentiate the click and tactile switches from each other now that colour is not a factor.

Mrinterface

22 Oct 2012, 22:34

Update :

I am currently trying to get my hands on another SGI AT101 in order to use as a sound comparison in the review vid.

I'm also working on a revamp of my website over at mrinterface.com with the latest and greatest simulators ( including the Quiet Pro and the many many others I got my hands on since I last created those sims :-) )

The review video will also contain an un-unboxing clip at the end. I noticed the presence of many unboxing videos on youtube where the reviewer unboxes something and then ends with a verdict of the device whilst only using the unpacked device for 1 minute. I want to use the keyboard for at least a couple of weeks and only then pass judgement. So in order to get an idea of how it is packed, I'll re-insert it into the original box with all the extras to show everybody what and how they will get it :-)

Mrinterface

16 Nov 2012, 18:01

Guess what I got in the mail :-)
SGIAT101.jpg
SGIAT101.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 9301 times
Finally I'm able to compare both keyboards...

iBroScience

18 Nov 2012, 06:11

Does the matias also the same size control and alt keys as the SGI?

Mrinterface

18 Nov 2012, 10:48

iBroScience wrote:Does the matias also the same size control and alt keys as the SGI?
Yeps.

iBroScience

19 Nov 2012, 00:51

Mrinterface wrote:
iBroScience wrote:Does the matias also the same size control and alt keys as the SGI?
Yeps.
Thanks. I have been looking at the Matis Quiet Pro, but I probably won't get one anytime soon. But I always thought it would be interesting to take the caps from my SGI and put them on the Matias since I like their look, and they feel nice.

Your mini review on the the Granite SGI is what convinced me to check out the one I have now. And although it's only the beige one, I'm very happy with it. So I'm looking forward to your review on the Matias Quiet.

Mrinterface

22 Nov 2012, 20:37

Finally got the review video ready. Check the OP.

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Nov 2012, 20:47

Did you take any photos of the internals of the switch while you had it apart? :-)

It's hard to tell from the video quite how the contact mechanism works.

Mrinterface

22 Nov 2012, 20:50

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Did you take any photos of the internals of the switch while you had it apart? :-)

It's hard to tell from the video quite how the contact mechanism works.
Well, yeah, I put those pictures inside the vid :)

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Nov 2012, 20:53

I haven't had chance to watch it all yet, I guess they're not shown during the disassembly/assembly part.

Besides, actual photos can go into the wiki ;-)

iBroScience

22 Nov 2012, 22:14

Mr. Interface, have you ever lubed the switches in any of your SGI AT101s? Some my keys feel scratchy in mine, so I was thinking about doing it. Just wondering if you had any tips.

Mrinterface

23 Nov 2012, 11:37

iBroScience wrote:Mr. Interface, have you ever lubed the switches in any of your SGI AT101s? Some my keys feel scratchy in mine, so I was thinking about doing it. Just wondering if you had any tips.
Hi there,
I never tried lubing any switch so I don't have any tips.

Mrinterface

23 Nov 2012, 11:49

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:I haven't had chance to watch it all yet, I guess they're not shown during the disassembly/assembly part.

Besides, actual photos can go into the wiki ;-)
When I get a batch of those switches, I'll properly photograph them and enhance the wiki :-)

For now have a look at 15:40 of the video review.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Nov 2012, 12:14

I saw them — hard to make out, looks similar to a Fukka but not quite. The video itself — you should have scripted it, sounds like you were really struggling to make it up as you went along. Can't stomach a whole half hour of it.

Return to “Reviews”