ModMic

RougeRambo

31 Dec 2012, 13:37

Just got mine in the post and attached it to my Denon d2000s, cant recommend it enough.
setup was easy, just attach the sticky pad, leave it to dry, sound quality awesome.

i would recommend waiting for the mute/detachable cable version if you are thinking of getting one. i just need to find a way to integrated the cable for my mic into my headphone cable now.

here is a quick audio clip
-uploading.....
uploaded!

Daniel Beardsmore

31 Dec 2012, 15:48

I think you a word out at the end of the recording ;-P But we know what you meant :)

mashby

31 Dec 2012, 16:44

That is very cool and I'm seriously considering the next rev. Keep us posted on how you like it.

RougeRambo

31 Dec 2012, 17:11

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:I think you a word out at the end of the recording ;-P But we know what you meant :)
haha yeah it cut out early only noticed when i uploaded!

RougeRambo

01 Jan 2013, 20:02

mashby wrote:That is very cool and I'm seriously considering the next rev. Keep us posted on how you like it.
will do, i will also be seeing if there is a way to integrate the cable into my headphones. good chance i might sell this revision here when they release one with detachable cable+mute button

for mods i may add in my own detachable cable, cant be too too hard., then just braid it into my headphone cable.

Acanthophis

02 Jan 2013, 12:48

I'm still waiting for them to release their version with a mute button.
They told me they'll be out in 1-2 months. This was in late Sept :/

Anyway, as soon the mute version is out, I'll order at least one :D

Also link for people who don't know Modmic: http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage

Julle

01 Mar 2013, 10:14

I decided to give a go, and ordered a version 2.0 about a month ago. I did read in their blog that they were having quality issues, but went with it anyway. The mic worked perfectly for the first two or three weeks. Then, with no apparent reason, it started cracking, popping, and fluctuating volume levels. Supposedly this is due to the mic shorting out in the flexible mic boom.

Additionally, the Modmic seems to have issues with Asus Xonar series sound cards' input. My sound card is the Xonar Essence STX, and I've had to resort to using the motherboard's integrated mic input to get decent sound quality from this mic.

They do have excellent customer service. I am now waiting for a replacement mic, and hoping that they have resolved the issue with their latest batch.

At the moment, I must say, I am more impressed with a 10 € Zalman mic I'm currently using than the Modmic.

RougeRambo

04 Mar 2013, 14:26

yeah its a work in progress, you have to remember they are not a big company. my 1.0 is still working perfectly, i will likely get 2.0 with mute when its been perfected a bit,

they are very good on CS front as you said. Hope it works out for you in the end, keep us posted.

madmalkav

28 Mar 2013, 20:36

How well it works with background noise? Me and my wife play on the same room and I get my voice registered on her mic and viceversa constantly.

RougeRambo

01 Apr 2013, 00:52

madmalkav wrote:How well it works with background noise? Me and my wife play on the same room and I get my voice registered on her mic and viceversa constantly.
emmm id imagine it would be quite good, depends on what you set sensitivity too, dont think it picks up my m15 (which is pretty noisy)

can you do some tests and report back

Julle

25 May 2013, 20:47

Julle reporting in.

As you may remember, I received a replacement unit for my faulty Modmic a couple of months back. The replacement unit is faulty as well. My friends started reporting weird sound issues when talking over Skype and Mumble. I swapped mics and the problems disappeared.

I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with getting a replacement. It seems obvious to me at this point that this product has some clear, fundamental design flaws that make it break down every so often. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

RougeRambo

03 Jun 2013, 21:50

mines still going strong from the original run, sorry to hear you havnt had much luck.
Im going to be buying the 3.0 mute soon.

ne0phyte
Toast.

19 Aug 2013, 19:37

I have the same problem as Julle. I ordered a ModMic 2.0 and it worked perfectly until now. I have the same crackling/popping/static noise he described and there doesn't seem to be a cable break. I even tried different sound cards.

I contacted the customer support. Let's hope I get a replacement.. It cost me 43 Eur (~$55) in total with shipping and VAT :O

EDIT: I'll get a replacement mic.

kekstee

01 Sep 2013, 10:34

Great now I'm scared. -.-
Ordered one earlier this year and so far it works splendidly on my Xonar DX.

damorgue

01 Sep 2013, 10:52

I seem to read a lot about these. The comments can be divided in two categories:

A: I love it
B: It is broken, I got a replacement, it broke, I got another one, it too cracks hisses and pops, sent it back...

This worries me a bit. There are people mentioning that they have gone through SEVERAL of them. I am starting to think they work beautifully with some gear but are very sensitive to something and that something kills them.

Parak

01 Sep 2013, 20:17

Had the original modmic for a while (close to year) at which point for no apparent reason the noise became about three times louder than my voice, rendering it quite useless. It was the capsule going bad too, as testing was done on a bunch of different soundcards, computers, and even locations.

Wound up finding a for-parts xlr condenser headset mic on ebay, hooking up just the boom piece via velcro to my headphones, plus a +48v mixer, and the resulting sound quality and directionality blew the modmic out of the water. Total cost was twice that of the modmic though, and that's one of the best case scenarios cost-wise for such mics :(

ne0phyte
Toast.

01 Sep 2013, 20:35

On the other hand.. good headphones deserve a good microphone :D
I definitely won't got back to headsets. They either sound terrible, are uncomfortable or have bad microphones.

PS: I got the replacement. They told me that mine was a faulty batch and that they improved their QA. The replacement works perfectly.

rindorbrot

01 Sep 2013, 20:59

When did you buy yours ne0phyte?
I have one lying around waiting for some Headphones to be used with...
In some quick tests it worked fine, but if there was a faulty batch I hope mine is not from that too.

ne0phyte
Toast.

01 Sep 2013, 21:14

I ordered mine on the 20th of july this year and got the replacement last week.

damorgue

01 Sep 2013, 21:46

I am quite desperate to finding a better mic solution. I have tried a bunch of them, but the problem lies more in the ADC.

I have an STX which suffers from a quite famous Xonar-series problem of picking up interference from the GPU. I have gotten an O2+ODAC to replace its DAC and amplifier but a solution for the ADC has yet to be found. This guyappears to use and recommend a cheapo USB sound card with his ModMic. I am considering getting the same as he gets decent results out of it and I should get similar performance.

What do you guys have your ModMics connected to and how well does it work for you?

Parak

02 Sep 2013, 00:05

Mine was connected to motherboard mic in. Worked just fine until the capsule failed..

damorgue

02 Sep 2013, 08:30

Parak wrote:Mine was connected to motherboard mic in. Worked just fine until the capsule failed..
What ADC does it use, eg Realtek ******?

rindorbrot

02 Sep 2013, 12:35

I have a Xonar STX too.
But as I said I only did some quick tests. I had no problems with it so far. Mine is also the 2.0 manufactured December 2012

damorgue

02 Sep 2013, 17:54

rindorbrot wrote:I have a Xonar STX too.
But as I said I only did some quick tests. I had no problems with it so far. Mine is also the 2.0 manufactured December 2012
Do you have to turn on mic boost to get decent sound levels? STX is plagued by not having any EMI shielding on its input section and in my case it picks up some pretty horrible interference from the GPU. I tried moving it further away, which decreased it a little, I tried insulating it a bit more, helped a bit and a whole range of other solutions but the interference remained.

rindorbrot

02 Sep 2013, 18:29

I can totally replicate that, damorgue.
And it's not limited to the modmic :(

damorgue

02 Sep 2013, 19:25

rindorbrot, I know other on the interwebs have as well. It is not at all related to the ModMic though, it is a Xonar issue. If you want to really hear it, I suggest you try ARMA2. There is just something about it and I get the strongest interference with the most varying FPS in it.

I have written a hella-long post summarizing my adventures here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47987

kekstee

02 Sep 2013, 20:18

My Xonar DX also picks up GPU interference. Sad to hear that they didn't even get it right on their “shielded” high end cards. Luckily the ModMic is relatively close to the mouth and the noise is acceptable, but it's horrible with quieter Mic input.
Given that my ModMic will likely fail as well some time, I really fear the alternatives. I can't go back to to a headset, which would be shittier in every way possible - except that it works. :/

Acanthophis

03 Sep 2013, 02:00

I have a Xonar DX as well.
I had couple of complains in TS3 about (now I have a word for it) interference noise.
Until now I didn't even knew where to look for the issue.

As for the Modmic, I didn't go for it because of all the issues with the 2.0s and the incompleteness of the 3.0s.
I just bought a Zalman MC1 which is goof enough. Only issue is the missing (hardware) mute button.
I'll wait for a reasonable amount of positive feedback about the 3.0s.

RougeRambo

15 Sep 2013, 20:09

still going flawlessly here, i wonder if it is different hardware setups?

kekstee

17 Sep 2013, 22:47

Acanthophis wrote:I have a Xonar DX as well.
I had couple of complains in TS3 about (now I have a word for it) interference noise.
Until now I didn't even knew where to look for the issue.

I just bought a Zalman MC1 which is goof enough.
I do have the MC1 as well, works as an intermediate-term solution. It's a rather quiet mic, though due to the distance in which it's usually mounted, so it has a lot more background noise than the MM when used on a Xonar.

Return to “Reviews”