My take at Novatouch

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Oct 2014, 14:40

I will be adding more info in the coming days, but I wanted to give you my opinion about the Novatouch after 24h of usage (actually more than that since I also tried the prototype).

First thing first. The packaging is amazing

They did a really great job giving the Novatouch a pro look. The box even has magnets to hold the box closed. Now, I know few gamers are environmental aware... but the packaging has really a lot of waste material. Honestly I would have liked a more conscious material selection (but this has little to do with the keyboard itself).

A full gallery can be seen on imgur.

The keyboard is nice and sober. Solid and stable. The case is definitely better than a realforce.

And the branding reduced to the minimum.

The typeface selection is also nice, but the right hand modifiers are aligned to... well... nothing. Look at backspace, return, |\, Shift. It's like the designer sneezed and placed all legends by accident. I believe they wanted to align them to the right, but it really didn't come out.

Also most legends seem aligned to the left... others to the right... other to the center. Make up your mind!

Keycaps thickness is 0.9mm. Material ABS, legends printed in "I wear off by just looking at it". Nothing to be proud of.

The cable is very high quality. Sleeved and gold plated.

Again, it seems Cooler Master really wanted to target the PROs market... and given the price point (€179) I don't blame them. The USB port is micro USB and cable management is a bit silly imho (with angled connector), but it works.

The case is rubberized, but the grain is incredibly fine and you can hardly say that it is actually rubber. Definitely better than the prototype I tried few months ago. So to me this is not an issue anymore.

Ok, how does it feel?!

I'm sorry to say... not so well.

I'm used to a Leopold FC660C and the typing experience is so much better that typing on the novatouch right after the leopold is like scratching your nails on a blackboard. Here below a comparison.
Keys are a little rattling, especially the big keys (spacebar, backspace, return) and the sound not very pleasing. The problem is very likely with the stabilizers. Cooler master did a great job designing them but more time for fine tuning was definitely required.

Cooler Master included some o-rings (also tested in the video above) but I really don't understand what's their purpose. Due to the topre switch configuration an o-ring does very little to the overall feel.

It is true that maybe the keys are a little more stable and they wobble less with o-rings, but the sound doesn't change much. So o-rings are more of a marketing thing honestly.

The keyboard is not silent at all. MX Green are probably less noisy :) (as you can hear from the sound test above).

Actuation point is perfect. I'd say basically the same as a Realforce, while the Leopold has a slightly higher (=shorter key travel) actuation point.

Switching keycaps

Another selling point is the cherry mx keycaps compatibility of course.

The prototype had very loose stems, but the final product seems just fine. Still less firm than standard cherry MX switches, but it works.

One may think that replacing keycaps would impact the typing experience. I tried any kind of keycaps I had. Signature Plastics DCS, Cherry profile, PBT, ABS double-shot. Thin, thick, medium...

Keycap thickness seems to help a bit. Unfortunately DSA PBT doesn't change much in terms of switch feel. 2-shot DCS is a pinch better, but the best experience you can have on a Novatouch is Signature Plastics SA. Maybe it's because the keycap goes deeper into the stem. Maybe it's because of SA thickness. Fact is if you have a Novatouch get yourself SA keycaps!

Do I like it?

It's a $199 keyboard, with ABS keycaps and subpar topre implementation. For the same price you get a Realforce that is less pretty and the case is less sturdy, bust still has a better overall typing feel and PBT keycaps (!).

If you never tried Topre, the Novatouch is just fine, probably not worth $199 but still it's the first Topre keyboard that will be globally available. Cooler Master merit is that they made Topre easily accessible. Getting a Topre in Europe has been always a problem (I got mine from Korea via a proxy) but not anymore. And don't forget the fact that it will be available in both ANSI and ISO and with multiple languages support (UK, NL, DE, IT, SP, FR).

So if you desperately want a Topre keyboard, the Novatouch is fine, but if you are in the market with $199 to spend in a keyboard, maybe there are better alternatives.

How about gaming?

This is an important factor. Cooler Master main target is definitely the gamer. In this scenario probably the Novatouch is a better investment. Apart from the "repeat" functionality (you can multiply your key presses by 2, 4, 8 times) a topre switch at 1000Hz is probably the best you can have for fragging.

The refresh polling is set at 1ms and the topre switch grants a higher "resolution" than a standard cherry switch (that has to deal with a nasty deboucing). Theoretically a 1000hz topre should be faster than a 1000hz Cherry mx, but if this difference is actually perceivable... this has to be proven.

Anyway to that you can add that the actuation point is very close to the top, if you get used to it you may become extremely effective during the gaming session.

---

I'll use the keyboard for another week or so and update the review accordingly.

I will be also dismantling the keyboard for science and post more pictures.

tlt

10 Oct 2014, 20:28

Interesting to hear more opinions on this keyboard. Thanks for the extensive review.

Muirium
µ

11 Oct 2014, 00:36

All right, I caved and had a read before I even started my review. Great video! That's the NovaTouch's weakness right there, well illustrated in sound. Mind if I link to it? I could do no better, side by side like that. Though I'll add HHKB and Realforce to the mix.

By the way, I make a lot less noise typing on mine than I do clicky MX green, so some of it is down to bottoming out force. Standard Topre handles heavy typing better. I bet 55g Topre is especially good for that. Although I seem to be leaning to the light end, myself.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Oct 2014, 08:09

Feel free to link or grab anything you want.

Indeed if you don't bottom out a topre switch can be completely silent. The actuation point is very close to the top, so you could be very effective.

Personally I love heavy strokes :) Model M spoiled maybe? :)

Grond

11 Oct 2014, 08:18

Bottom line... not the holy grail of keyboards after all.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Oct 2014, 08:22

The review is also available in Italian over here.

Grond

11 Oct 2014, 08:31

I see you translated that from english! :D

ماء

11 Oct 2014, 08:34

Is the stabs better on RF?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Oct 2014, 08:50

ماء wrote: Is the stabs better on RF?
yes
Grond wrote: I see you translated that from english! :D
yeah mostly :)

BlueBär

15 Oct 2014, 12:05

Good review!

It looks like the right hand modifier legends have been aligned to an imaginary line right of the backspace legend, which is centered on the keycap. Looks weird but still better than the RF legends I saw on the RF104 tour.

Also, I really doubt polling rate makes a noticeable difference while playing.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Oct 2014, 12:15

A few additional notes.

After some time you kinda get used to the clunky feeling.

None of my PCs see the novatouch during post (BIOS) or grub.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

15 Oct 2014, 16:16

matt3o wrote: None of my PCs see the novatouch during post (BIOS) or grub.
This is spreading like a plague :evil: I have a cheap and ugly rubberdome around for that :(

Hypersphere

15 Oct 2014, 16:51

@matt3o: Thanks for the review. The audio recordings are quite revealing. The "thock" is certainly there with the FC660C, but it is conspicuously absent with the Novatouch. This difference in sound does not necessarily imply that one board is better than the other, but I have come to associate Topre with a certain sound as well as with a distinctive feel.

It is also good to know that the Novatouch is not recognized during POST or grub; I had not tested this.

Nevertheless, I plan to keep my Novatouch around as a platform for my Cherry-compatible keycaps. I have sold most of my Cherry mx-switch keyboards, and while the Novatouch does not provide the Topre experience delivered by my HHKB Pro 2 or RF 87ub 55g, it feels better than any Cherry mx board I have tried.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Oct 2014, 17:05

I must say that I prefer mx-green to the novatouch, but anyway the only problem of the Novatouch is the price point more than the overall quality.

cookie

15 Oct 2014, 17:40

Thanks for the review matt3o!
The sound of the Novatouch is realy disapointing tbh, to me it does not sound like a Topre board at all :(
Me personally couldn't get over it to pay 199 bugs for a premium keyboard with mediocre ABS caps...
I have absolutely no understanding why they didn't put some nice and thick PBT caps into it.

Findecanor

15 Oct 2014, 21:24

matt3o wrote: bust still has a better overall typing feel ...
I agree completely. For the ultimate "cloud of boobs" experience, nothing beats the original. :lol:
ماء wrote: Is the stabs better on RF?
On RF, only the space bar has exposed sliders for the stabilisers. For the other keys, the stabiliser is inside the switch and there is only a switch stem. RF is not Cherry-compatible.

Hypersphere

16 Oct 2014, 02:18

Overall, to me at least, the RF 87u sounds and feels better than the NT -- especially the 55g version of the RF. Moreover, the RF stabilized keys definitely sound and feel better than the corresponding keys on the NT. Nevertheless, the NT has made a bold move with Cherry mx stems on Topre switches, thus providing a rich variety of keycaps for a Topre switch board.

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Oct 2014, 09:20

Findecanor wrote: I agree completely. For the ultimate "cloud of boobs" experience, nothing beats the original.
See, I would have figured that human flesh would compress in a linear fashion. If any part of your body has a tactile force curve, you might want to seek medical advice.

fifted

16 Oct 2014, 19:56

s/springs/ballistics gel/

;)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Oct 2014, 10:16

I just built a new PC over a Z97 mobo and I have to report that the novatouch works during post on that board.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Oct 2014, 18:37

Midnight on Novatouch looks really nice

anyway now that I played with it for a while (it's my main keyboard on a new rig I just built) I can safely say that... this keyboard sucks. Sorry guys. I tried to like it, but it simply doesn't match the feeling of any other Topre, not to mention my custom creations :)

I'm selling this if anyone is interested.

BlueBär

23 Oct 2014, 18:58

matt3o wrote: I can safely say that... this keyboard sucks.
[...]
I'm selling this if anyone is interested.
You're not really good at advertising, are you? :lol:

chzel

23 Oct 2014, 19:04

matt3o wrote: I'm selling this if anyone is interested.
How much do you want for that piece of crap?

:mrgreen:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Oct 2014, 19:10

150 euro, or the price it should have been since the beginning.

I'm not good at advertising, but at least I'm honest.

Hypersphere

24 Oct 2014, 01:30

@matt3o, Like you, I really wanted to like the NT, but I agree with your assessment -- it just isn't in the same class as other Topre boards, such as the Leopold FC660C, HHKB Pro 2, or members of the Realforce family.

In fact, I've given away my Leopold FC660C; it is a good solid board, but I don't like the stock caps and it was difficult to fit all the keys with new ones. The layout was almost there, but it was trumped by the HHKB Pro 2.

I'm keeping the HHKB Pro 2 -- it is my favorite combination of form factor and layout.

Moving into the number one spot in my keyboard rotation is the RF 87ub 55g. It is not perfect, but for now it seems to be the best keyboard on the market that is still being produced.

Regarding the NT, I am still undecided if I will sell it or keep it around as my sole keyboard for showing off Cherry mx keycaps. I have recently sold all my Cherry mx boards except the Poker II, but it will probably go soon as well. The Poker is charming in its way, but I find that typing on it is not a pleasant experience.

My latest experiment with the NT was outfitting it with keycaps harvested from Wyse terminal keyboards. I don't like typing on ABS, but the Wyse doubleshots work very well on the NT. I even have a Wyse Moogle kit, but it is lacking a 6.25x spacebar.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Nov 2014, 15:28

I'm also adding a sound sample for the HHKB.

http://lab.cubiq.org/hhkb.ogg

Elrick

16 Nov 2014, 03:42

matt3o wrote: anyway now that I played with it for a while (it's my main keyboard on a new rig I just built) I can safely say that... this keyboard sucks. Sorry guys. I tried to like it, but it simply doesn't match the feeling of any other Topre, not to mention my custom creations :)
Shame you seem to hate CM's version of the Thorpe ;) .

Haven't purchased it yet for myself but am currently arranging a custom board from GON with Tactile Greys hence anything connected to the thorpe regime has been packed away.

Have to agree with you regarding Realforce's interpretation of the thorpe, BEST versions currently available (TKL and 104).

cookie

16 Nov 2014, 14:21

matt3o wrote: I'm also adding a sound sample for the HHKB.

http://lab.cubiq.org/hhkb.ogg
hey mate, you definately need some O-rings! Stay tuned :D

Muirium
µ

16 Nov 2014, 14:58

Don't you mean fOam-rings?

IanM

16 Nov 2014, 15:09

Thanks for the review! I saw the news posts about Novatouch being released in Europe, it looks really interesting and Deskthority was my first thought - navigated here directly and haven't been let down :)

The price is really high (predictably so) but in theory this is closer to the keyboard I've been looking for for a while - high polling rate and shorter travel to activation than MX. The noise and rattliness is a bit disappointing though, I would much prefer the silent Realforce style, but maybe if an outstanding deal pops up I'll give the Novatouch a chance.

Return to “Reviews”