KBP V60 Matias Click and Matias Quiet Click Keyboards

Hypersphere

15 Feb 2016, 18:28

@courtesi: If you are willing to harvest keycaps from vintage boards, there are several that have dye-sub PBT for at least a partial set for a Matias-switch keyboard. My favorite is the keyboard in the IBM 5140 "portable" computer -- this has very nice brown Alps switches and dye-sub PBT keycaps. I use the alphnumeric caps for my V60MTS, and I populate the mods and spacebar with blank black ABS caps from Matias.

courtesi

16 Feb 2016, 19:29

I'm not interested in returning to Alps or MX for that matter. Buckling springs are where it's at for me!

Muirium
µ

16 Feb 2016, 20:02

Wise choice! Concentrate on one thing and get the best.

Hypersphere

16 Feb 2016, 22:10

Reminds me of a local German restaurant that features a selection of sausages: "The Best of the Wurst!"

For me, the worst is the entire family of Cherry mx, but I keep some in my rotation if only to remind me of how much more I enjoy IBM buckling springs (especially Model F) and Topre. Alps/Matias occupies a middle ground, but on a much higher level than Cherry. My current favorite in the Alps world is brown Alps. I have some vintage boards waiting for me to desolder the brown Alps switches and install them in a custom 60%.

Return to “Reviews”