17 x CST Kidtrac trackballs. ALL SOLD!

Do you want to wait for the additional 3 trackballs. (only vote if you are in the group buy)

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 9

andrewjoy

18 Mar 2015, 13:19

glad to hear it

ps2 ports on modern motherboards are a joke , should not even be there , they are not true PS/2 ports as far as i know . i would rather lose it and have an extra set of USB even if they are only USB2.

Is PS/2 even implemented in modern chipsets / CPUs ? I am guessing they would not be, but then again this is x86 we are talking about so it prob has everything you can imagine bloody CISC crap.

the Chip inside the trackball is some sort of atmega by the way , easy hackable , the PS2 ones have the exact same PCB as the USB as far as i can tell so may be quite simple to switch

Halvar

18 Mar 2015, 14:33

My trackball worked perfectly, also with the billard ball. Thanks Andrew for obviously cleaning it.

At the moment, I still prefer the mouse, but let's see how it goes during the next days.

Madhias
BS TORPE

18 Mar 2015, 17:58

Halvar wrote: At the moment, I still prefer the mouse, but let's see how it goes during the next days.
Yeah, I have it also in use now for about 3-4h today, and it is funny to use so far - but definitely not easy. The main problem is that I am too slow in general, and I do not hit everything instantly, so I have to move around the spot to click exactly. Time will solve this! But: drawing paths and doing graphics works is now impossible for me; normal OS drag and dropping is not so hard.

andrewjoy

18 Mar 2015, 18:09

You get used to it , it feels very strange at first but its gets better , soon you will fly around the screen like a bird !

pyrelink

18 Mar 2015, 18:33

Eventually you will get to a point where you won't be able to believe that you ever thought your old mouse was an acceptable input device!

andrewjoy

18 Mar 2015, 18:33

I agree,

Still want me a Ltrack

Stabilized

18 Mar 2015, 18:38

andrewjoy wrote: Still want me a Ltrack
The more I use the Kidtrac the more I want one too.

Hopefully a joblot of them pops up somewhere ;)

andrewjoy

18 Mar 2015, 18:40

Indeed !

But i would settle for a replacement ball for my slimblade :(

pyrelink

18 Mar 2015, 18:56

I want a new Kensington ball too. One scratch in the ball and they move like crap. Why wouldn't they make replacements?!

Also: brand new LTrac's for a great price on MD for another day: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cst-lasertrac-trackball

Really thinking about it, even though I have this KidTrac on the way :)

Stabilized

18 Mar 2015, 19:14

Works out to be about £108 with 20% customs and Royal Mail's £8 'handling fee', so it's not the best deal ever.

In comparison you can get it for £123 from ComputerWare UK: http://www.computerware.co.uk/lasertrac5W.html

Great deal for Americans though! It would pretty much be a no brainer if I lived in the US ;)

pyrelink

18 Mar 2015, 19:18

Ah, forgot about shipping and customs. Honestly even over here in the States, your really only saving $25.

I think I will stick with my KidTrac for a while.

andrewjoy

18 Mar 2015, 20:22

fuck kensington i need a new ball

i just don't get it , why not sell them ?

chzel

18 Mar 2015, 20:31

They do sell them, bundled with the rest of the trackball, it keeps their profits up!

Stabilized

18 Mar 2015, 20:37

Seem especially silly considering that there is nothing holding the ball into the body of the trackball; if you try to move it somewhere out of the way you can easily drop the ball. The skeptical side of me thinks that they know this too well.

So are you decided on another slimblade then?

andrewjoy

18 Mar 2015, 22:05

I don't know . I know the L-Track is better built and will last longer , but that rotate to scroll man its the dogs.

pyrelink

19 Mar 2015, 06:48

The Slimblade twist to scroll isn't bad, but I think my favorite scrolling on a trackball would have to be my Kensington Expert Mouse. While the scroll wheel always felt a bit cheaply made, I have always just really liked the control and how comfortable it was. The Slimblade feels like it's hard to get a good balance of control and speed in your scrolling.

dyger

20 Mar 2015, 18:50

http://deskthority.net/other-devices-f3 ... ng#p102474

Holding the middle button that long to scroll sure is inconvenient...

Nuum

21 Mar 2015, 21:04

My trackballs arrived and at least the USB one works flawlessly and I'm using it right now, I haven't tested the PS/2 one yet. Thank you very much for doing this mini GB, Andrew!

Has anyone tried to add switches to the locations SW4 and SW5 shown in this picture? What do they activate? The traces marked with "Cut to disable" are cut on my USB one.
gmjhowe wrote:
CST-Kidtrac-1.jpg

combataran

23 Mar 2015, 02:20

Anymore left?

andrewjoy

23 Mar 2015, 10:46

All sold sorry.

combataran

23 Mar 2015, 11:41

andrewjoy wrote: All sold sorry.
All right then.

maxmalkav
dye hard

23 Mar 2015, 18:57

Received mine today! It's awesome, and even bigger than expected (the slimblade looks small in comparison).

I'm already testing it, I like the design and the accuracy is just fine for me. I feel it a bit scratchy, but I guess it may improve with a bit of usage.

Thanks a lot andrewjoy! I confess I liked it since I saw the fist picture of this model a couple of years ago (the colours are awesome IMHO), so it's great you give us the opportunity to get a bunch of them, I never imagined getting one so easily :D

pyrelink

23 Mar 2015, 22:45

I got mine as well! I really liked the packaging, when I cut the tape it felt like I was cutting into a brick of cocaine! Anyway. I did notice that when moving to the bottom right that it felt scratchy. I had to open it up and add a bit more lube to one of the rollers, but now its fantastic. I would like to see the 2 second hold to scroll get fixed though. That is a bit annoying.

Thanks a bunch Andy. This will fit in my collection nicely:
Trackballs.jpg
Trackballs.jpg (974.67 KiB) Viewed 4713 times

andrewjoy

23 Mar 2015, 22:58

nice collection, the more i use the kid track the more i want an l-track, the new pcb supports pool balls too :)

if only the scroll was as good as the slimblade

Nuum

23 Mar 2015, 23:35

I'm feeing the same, these trackballs are awesome, but the scroll button is really weird. I have to get an L-Trac some time, it should be programmable and have more DPI.

The USB version (1350SA-RC) of the KidTrac seems to have more DPI and acceleration than the PS/2 version (1300-RC) as well. Working on a 1920p screen with the PS/2 version is just a pain, I'd say it has around 400DPI, while the USB one has around 1000DPI. Or maybe it's just the acceleration I'm feeling.

dyger

24 Mar 2015, 00:01

I hope a lot of L-Trac's ends up on ebay as well. :D

I'm really glad it has acceleration because otherwise it would be a pain with 3 1440p screens but it really works way better than I expected.

andrewjoy

24 Mar 2015, 00:23

Nuum wrote: I'm feeing the same, these trackballs are awesome, but the scroll button is really weird. I have to get an L-Trac some time, it should be programmable and have more DPI.

The USB version (1350SA-RC) of the KidTrac seems to have more DPI and acceleration than the PS/2 version (1300-RC) as well. Working on a 1920p screen with the PS/2 version is just a pain, I'd say it has around 400DPI, while the USB one has around 1000DPI. Or maybe it's just the acceleration I'm feeling.
I have the only RS232 one and that has smoother acceleration than the usb one one fast move can get across 1 1/2 1440x900 screens in work

Stabilized

24 Mar 2015, 10:03

Nuum wrote: Thank you very much for doing this mini GB, Andrew!
Whoops I don't think I ever said thanks!
Thanks Andrew for going to the hassle of buying/packing and sending out all the trackballs ;)

I haven't had the chance to use the USB version very much, but I find that acceleration quite minimal on the PS/2 one, compared to my Slimblade. Maybe it's partly to do with the rolling resistance of the ball (not allowing me to spin it as easily).

andrewjoy

24 Mar 2015, 10:43

Stabilized wrote: Maybe it's partly to do with the rolling resistance of the ball (not allowing me to spin it as easily).
I think thats exactly it and i like it , if that plastic part around the ball was a scroll ring like on the expert mouse :) fun times would be had by all.

HzFaq

24 Mar 2015, 12:03

I'm definitely of the view that the more I use the Kidtrack, the more I want to buy an L-Trac....

I'm waiting on a USB hub from China and my Mrs to find my big box of "spare" mice before I start modding the Kidtrac, work should start commencing in the next week or two hopefully.

If I don't crack and get an L-trac that is...

Return to “Group buys”