[IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL With b.Mira PCB

hwood34

21 Mar 2015, 02:53

The Hubble Mira
GH thread for questions

NOTE: Some of these renders are from earlier in the development process, the most recent iteration contains the updated chamfers as seen directly below. Furthermore you may notice some of the renders have angled lines making up the side profile, these are simply rendering anomalies. The inventor renders (which show the true shape) as well as all the other renders ZealPC and I have completed can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/Szltn

ImageImage
ImageImage

The Mira is a not so secret design that I have been working on for over a month at this point. NOTHING HAS BEEN COMPLETELY FINALIZED, a prototype will likely be a stage of this buy. It has a lot of design features worth discussing but first some background (i.e what the hell is a Mira?):

Mira (Omicron Ceti) is the name of a binary, variable, star system in the constellation Cetus. It consists of a red giant A star and a white dwarf companion B star. For those who aren't familiar with these terms, a binary system is a system consisting of two orbiting stars. While this may seem exotic, there is a significant percentage of star systems that consist of two or more stars. As for the term "variable," there are classes of stars existing in transition regions off the main sequence that exhibit variable behavior. That is that they have apparent brightness that change over time. Mira A is an example of a some 6-7000 known "Mira variables" named after this well known object. Its change in brightness is caused when the entire star expands and contracts on a 100+ day time scale.

Enough science, let's talk keyboards!

The board is inspired by these astronomical factoids as well as some other fun space themes. For example, the Mira logo containing two circles represents the binary relationship of the Mira system and the (not to scale) size difference between the red giant and white dwarf. The side profile for the Mira is inspired by the NASA chevron with a clean "sweeping" curve.

Facts about the potential group buy:
The Mira will be a limited run of 100 boards (hopefully with the unique number engraved). The first 57 boards that are reserved (after the number of years NASA has been operating) will come with gold stabs from ZealPC! The remaining orders will receive the same items but standard stabilizers. More from ZealPC as he unveils his secret item (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69590.0) expect this awesome item to be a part of the buy as well. The number of the board will be assigned in the order they are reserved, as a result, some sort of down payment will likely be required upon ordering. Ordering will start as soon as the Group Buy is posted at a preset date and time.

Mira currently features:
The custom b.Mira PCB from Winkeyless
An engraved stainless Steel weight, slotted in the back of the case
An acrylic logo insert in the front of the case , illuminated from the side using RGB LEDs
A full aluminum case
9 degree incline
A SS or alu plate which will support both 87 and 84 (Winkeyless with built in blockers, not shown above)
Gold plated stabilizer wire and cherry stabs for the first 57 buyers and standard wire for remaining purchases

Since the b.Mira will only have controller parts per soldered, I will probably be offering diode and resistor soldering (done by myself) as an add-on in the buy.

Price:
The price has not been finalized since I do not know who will be milling the Mira yet. I will be minimizing profit on my end to ensure that the price stays low however the prototype may be somewhat costly for me. Stay tuned for a more accurate estimate.

WE are still searching for a milling recourse to help accommodate the Mira. If you have a connection that would be willing or interested, please PM me!

Big thanks to ZealPC as well as Winkeyless for helping me organize and provide the full product for this buy!

Feel free to ask any questions below! Comment if you are interested, be sure to include what colors, layouts, ect. you would like to see!
Last edited by hwood34 on 21 Mar 2015, 19:43, edited 2 times in total.

scottc

21 Mar 2015, 09:05

Very interested in this, but still depending on price.

Will there be any support for the top case blocking out the winkeys, or just the plate as mentioned above?

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

21 Mar 2015, 09:18

Depending on the price I might be interested. A heavy TKL is missing from my collection :D

alinh

21 Mar 2015, 09:29

DanielT wrote: Depending on the price I might be interested. A heavy TKL is missing from my collection :D
So you're saying SSK is lightweight? :shock:

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

21 Mar 2015, 11:31

alinh wrote:
DanielT wrote: Depending on the price I might be interested. A heavy TKL is missing from my collection :D
So you're saying SSK is lightweight? :shock:
Compared to an aluminum "slab" it is :P

Muirium
µ

21 Mar 2015, 11:36

Way lighter than a Kishsaver!

7bit

21 Mar 2015, 11:38

There are not even cutouts for switch opening.
:mad:

scottc

21 Mar 2015, 11:51

7bit wrote: There are not even cutouts for switch opening.
Actually, that is a fair point... :?

IonutZ

21 Mar 2015, 11:55

Interested!

Muirium
µ

21 Mar 2015, 11:55

Perhaps everyone's finally given up on MX modding.

scottc

21 Mar 2015, 11:57

Muirium wrote: Perhaps everyone's finally given up on MX modding.
But they're no good stock...

Muirium
µ

21 Mar 2015, 12:05

I'm yet to be convinced they're ever any good, really. Nixies maybe. But all MX's strengths are in its ubiquity. Which is no way to live!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

21 Mar 2015, 12:06

Price? ISO? Winkeyless case? MX openable plate?

Khers

21 Mar 2015, 12:12

I'm interested, depending on price of course. Need somewhere to have my MX-caps! :) This one looks ace!

7bit

21 Mar 2015, 12:38

BTW:
The Phantom plates might fit as this has the same layout.
:roll:

Stabilized

21 Mar 2015, 12:41

Looks fantastic, I would love one money permitting ;)

feizor

21 Mar 2015, 16:37

Wow!

I've been waiting for a standard TKL GB with all the bells and whistles!

Would it be possible to make the acrylic Mira logo an option? Some people might prefer a stealthy look and it could save on milling costs.

Can't wait to see the prototype!

naasfu

21 Mar 2015, 18:59

scottc wrote:
DrHubblePhD said that the final plate will have support for switch top removal. :)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70 ... msg1687600

IonutZ

21 Mar 2015, 20:57

I'm considering between completely replating my QFR or going with something like this... This definitely looks dope though... Would you guys mod a QFR over going with something like this?

scottc

21 Mar 2015, 22:35

naasfu wrote:
scottc wrote:
DrHubblePhD said that the final plate will have support for switch top removal. :)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70 ... msg1687600
Nice! My fears have been alleviated. Thanks naasfu. :D

pyrelink

21 Mar 2015, 23:37

IonutZ wrote: I'm considering between completely replating my QFR or going with something like this... This definitely looks dope though... Would you guys mod a QFR over going with something like this?
Even if you get a new plate, one of Bpiphany's Frosty Flake controllers, and new caps, at the end of the day you are still stuck with a boring plastic case. Seeing as the primary appeal of this board is the "slab of aluminum" style case, I would go for this over any glorified QFR any day.

And while it is a damn beauty, I am going to bet that the cost will be at least $300 which is just way more then I could justify on a Cherry keyboard.

Return to “Group buys”