F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

27 Jan 2016, 17:43

JanitorJoe

27 Jan 2016, 19:21

Hey Ellipse, any chance you could add a shipping option for Canada? Only international options right now are Europe/Asia or Australia.

bubblebobbler

27 Jan 2016, 20:29

anyone in the UK interested on splitting shipping too (specifically in Grimsby if anyone would want to collect)? currently the shipping is a dealbreaker for me :(

REVENGE

28 Jan 2016, 00:02

Looking good Ellipse!

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2016, 06:06

For anyone planning on using a set of black blank caps from Unicomp, I discovered something strange today in my Unicomp GB:
Muirium wrote: So, those black keysets.

The good news:
  • they are single piece
  • you get a grey Shift and ISO Return key to make up for the missing blacks
  • they do in fact exist!
But it's not all good. I opened them up and was surprised to see shine on these caps.

That's right. These caps look used. Huh? They're clean and all, but there's shine on all of them, even the alphas.

We paid $20 a set for these, same price as for the other blank sets. I'm not impressed by the shine at all. But they are pretty neat single piece caps that seem to be of nice quality, besides the wear. Hmm…

I took a look at the other colour sets and those look good and new. It's just these black ones that seem to be worn.

So, what do you guys think? I leave America pretty soon so it's probably too late to complain to Unicomp. I'm peeved they sold us old stuff as new. But at least it's good old stuff, and only applies to these blacks.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

28 Jan 2016, 07:08

I am Not wondering since I havent Seen a.Single picture of them in the net without Shine. Why is that?

https://webwit.nl/input/keycaps/unicomp7.jpg
http://kopfprojekt.de/wordpress/wp-cont ... board1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QXdBH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/biQSW.jpg

Ellipse

28 Jan 2016, 08:01

Yep JanitorJoe I just added Canada.

Madhias
BS TORPE

28 Jan 2016, 08:01

That's true, the black blanks shine everywhere! Mine (grey/beige, not black) also do have this shiney look, some of them more, some of them not that much. I think I purchased them about a year ago. I dyed them black, and the shine was less, but often visible. When I make pictures, I look to position my POV not to see it or I sort those out where the shine is too visible :)

JanitorJoe

28 Jan 2016, 10:15

Now for the hardest decision of all: Which additional bumpers that I may never use do I want?

atlas3686

28 Jan 2016, 13:52

JanitorJoe wrote: Now for the hardest decision of all: Which additional bumpers that I may never use do I want?
Haha yup super tough part :) I went with the screw on bigger ones so if I decided I wanted to raise the back of the board a little, I could.

courtesi

28 Jan 2016, 15:38

I'm not from the UK but those shined up Unicomp caps are a load of bollocks.

The ones on my 103 don't have any shine - leave it to Unicomp to create some defect in something as simple as blank keycaps.

If the regular IBM / XT caps don't match with the Unicomps ... I truly envy those who are transferring their olde F77 caps to this.

andrewjoy

28 Jan 2016, 15:49

Thinking of putting XT caps on mine or possibly the caps form my original 107. Will be ordering next month now when i get paid

gnarlsagan

28 Jan 2016, 16:19

Madhias wrote: That's true, the black blanks shine everywhere! Mine (grey/beige, not black) also do have this shiney look, some of them more, some of them not that much. I think I purchased them about a year ago. I dyed them black, and the shine was less, but often visible. When I make pictures, I look to position my POV not to see it or I sort those out where the shine is too visible :)
Has anyone asks Unicomp about this, or tried to return the shiny caps?

courtesi

28 Jan 2016, 17:54

gnarlsagan wrote:
A while back someone purchased rgb modifiers and there was a difference in color between the left and right hand sides. For example the left shift was lighter/darker in color than the right shift.

Unicomp's response if I remember correctly was that "they fall within spec."

I suspect this will be the same - minimal effort/qc until the owners retire.

Ascaii
The Beard

28 Jan 2016, 19:00

Anyone in germany want to split shipping? Thinking about getting myself a 62key.

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2016, 19:02

courtesi wrote:
gnarlsagan wrote:
A while back someone purchased rgb modifiers and there was a difference in color between the left and right hand sides. For example the left shift was lighter/darker in color than the right shift.

That's Unicomp! They make you jump through hoops to order these black sets anyway — they aren't mentioned on the site, you have to know about them already and go file a support ticket — so I expect it's just a pile of old stock from some long forgotten production run they have no plans to repeat again.

I'm not going to bother pestering them, as I'm out of America soon, there's not enough time to ship out hypothetical replacements anyway. And I doubt they exist!

gnarlsagan

28 Jan 2016, 19:55

Muirium wrote:
courtesi wrote:
gnarlsagan wrote:

That's Unicomp! They make you jump through hoops to order these black sets anyway — they aren't mentioned on the site, you have to know about them already and go file a support ticket — so I expect it's just a pile of old stock from some long forgotten production run they have no plans to repeat again.

I'm not going to bother pestering them, as I'm out of America soon, there's not enough time to ship out hypothetical replacements anyway. And I doubt they exist!
I wonder if anyone has had success dyeing the regular blanks to black. I need to read up on the dyeing process, ie how long does it last, how even are the colors, etc.

xauser

28 Jan 2016, 20:56

Ascaii wrote: Anyone in germany want to split shipping? Thinking about getting myself a 62key.
I would be interested but I don't see that shipping two boards in one order would be cheaper. And import fees will come on top.

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2016, 21:30

As usual, what we really need is a proxy.

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jan 2016, 21:38

Ellipse,

Are you willing to mark them as a lower value on customs if we request it?

OleVoip

28 Jan 2016, 22:01

Be careful - I've made the experience that customs officers can be quite clever. When in doubt, they check the price on the internet and want to see receipts of the money transfer. (You could pay in two instalments, though.)

Touch_It

28 Jan 2016, 22:32

Muirium wrote: For anyone planning on using a set of black blank caps from Unicomp, I discovered something strange today in my Unicomp GB:
Muirium wrote: So, those black keysets.

The good news:
  • they are single piece
  • you get a grey Shift and ISO Return key to make up for the missing blacks
  • they do in fact exist!
But it's not all good. I opened them up and was surprised to see shine on these caps.

That's right. These caps look used. Huh? They're clean and all, but there's shine on all of them, even the alphas.

We paid $20 a set for these, same price as for the other blank sets. I'm not impressed by the shine at all. But they are pretty neat single piece caps that seem to be of nice quality, besides the wear. Hmm…

I took a look at the other colour sets and those look good and new. It's just these black ones that seem to be worn.

So, what do you guys think? I leave America pretty soon so it's probably too late to complain to Unicomp. I'm peeved they sold us old stuff as new. But at least it's good old stuff, and only applies to these blacks.
For what its worth, my blank modifier set has those same traits. Definitely looks like it is worn. I figured it must be an issue with a worn mold, and maybe has something to do with the curvature of the caps themselves that caused them to come out like that.

kekstee

29 Jan 2016, 00:16

photekq wrote: Ellipse,

Are you willing to mark them as a lower value on customs if we request it?
In Germany this only works for cheap parts or parts that appear to be cheap when you can get below the amount where they even bother.
With something like this I always had to present the actual invoice and/or transaction.

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 Jan 2016, 00:18

kekstee wrote: In Germany this only works for cheap parts or parts that appear to be cheap when you can get below the amount where they even bother.
With something like this I always had to present the actual invoice and/or transaction.
I've never had to do that..

Muirium
µ

29 Jan 2016, 00:28

Different countries, wildly different rules. Welcome to Europe!

Kishsavers are VERY CONSPICUOUS AND HEAVY so I don't think declaring them for a fiver will have much luck. The box of six that I proxied for Tinnie was enough to get Her Majesty's finest busy with their dartboard. They wound up declaring the lot at 250 quid I think. Tinnie made no such declaration.

Then they charged us £100 for handling. Bastards!

chzel

29 Jan 2016, 00:40

Over here a creative declaration would have high chances of success. Lazy fuckers thank god. When they check, they fuck things up. They used a box cutter to cut open the bubble wrap off a lens I bought and put a nice big 5cm scratch on the body...

scottc

29 Jan 2016, 00:49

Thankfully they don't give a fuck in Poland either. It's great! Many of the post offices around me are run exclusively by older ladies who seem very unenthusiastic about things (though who'd blame them, honestly!), which suits me down to the ground.

Muirium
µ

29 Jan 2016, 00:50

Ouch. At least it wasn't the business end!

Customs did indeed open the Tinnie Kishbox. But they didn't unwrap the keyboards within. The tape was still done up nicely on each one's bubble wrapper. I think they were disappointed it wasn't something obviously valuable, or easy to value as the Kishies aren't exactly busy with identifying text on the outside anyway. So they went: "bollocks to it, what's the clock say? That's his number!"

Troif

29 Jan 2016, 01:03

in Spain this package is gonna cry for customs for sure. Argh! anyway I am nervous to have it in my hands! it is my first model F and I love my 2 model M (SSK my best).

AH! @Ellipse I have decided finally to change my mind for the model F77 (I pass you the specifications in reddit/u/Troif) in industrial grey HHKB pure Style (all-split).Thank you for your flexibility.

Ellipse

29 Jan 2016, 01:07

xauser please ask me for a custom quote for combined shipping if you are buying for more than one person.

For example, I could ship 2 keyboards and no accessories to Germany for $100.

ok Troif I updated your order and re-sent your order summary.

Return to “Group buys”