F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Hypersphere

17 Nov 2016, 16:03

@Ellipse: I know you explained this before, but if I wanted to order a compact case for a new F62, what other part(s) would I need to order so that I could transfer the F62 from the standard case to the compact case? Thanks again!

Ellipse

17 Nov 2016, 23:32

None, just the case! I include the smaller bottom inner assembly with each extra case order if you are ordering both types of cases.

Hypersphere

18 Nov 2016, 00:12

Ellipse wrote: None, just the case! I include the smaller bottom inner assembly with each extra case order if you are ordering both types of cases.
No wonder I couldn't find it! Thanks, this is very nice indeed. If this is not indicated on the ordering web site, you might want to add this information.

What I might do is order an extra ultracompact case so that I could try it out with my F62 before potentially ordering another F62 keyboard. Would the timing of round 1 and round 2 make this possible?

And, if I were to do this, is it possible to order an F62 without a case?

Thanks again.

y11971alex

18 Nov 2016, 01:17

So, if we want to migrate cases, we can retain the keys/barrels/frame/flippers/pcb/controller, but we need to disassemble the inner assembly each time to use a different bottom plate?

Ellipse

18 Nov 2016, 01:26

Thanks hypersphere, I just updated the product page with your suggestion.

Yes everyone will have time to use the keyboard and report their findings before the final round closes early next year (not sure when yet, maybe February).

Yes, to order a keyboard without a case, just figure out the cost of your configuration with the case, send me a screenshot of the options (also let me know if you want HHKB split backspace or regular 2U backspace), and pay for the cost less $100 since there is no case. For example if your option comes out to $355, subtract 100 and order 255 units of this store item: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... ncrements/

Alex, it involves maybe 30-45 minutes of work; you don't have to assemble from scratch. You do not need to remove or re-seat any barrels or flippers.

You would remove the keys, open the keyboard case, turn the inner assembly upside down, remove the current bottom inner assembly, unscrew the screws for the controller PCB, slide off the PCB from that inner assembly, slide that PCB to the new assembly and screw on the controller to the new bottom inner assembly, and then slide the new bottom inner assembly onto the existing inner assembly (the unchanged components - top plate, inside foam, barrels, and flippers). Then put the original keys back on. I might make a video to help those out later on.

Hypersphere

18 Nov 2016, 18:47

Excellent! Thanks, Ellipse!

mana

19 Nov 2016, 01:28

Finally made my order (after realising that there really is no question that anodised black looks better than non-dyed anodised grey).

If more colours become available as standard (i.e. IBM beige) I'd like to know so that I can change my order!

sethbc

19 Nov 2016, 06:09

Ellipse wrote: Is anyone up for a meetup in Manhattan? When I get the working compact case prototypes I'd be happy to have people try them out.
I'm down, I'm in manhattan. Hit me up here, email or same username on reddit.

mana

19 Nov 2016, 14:24

Eh, forgot to add the bumpers I wanted to the original order.

Ellipse I've put in a separate order for the bumpers with "local pickup" and stated in the notes to add it to the previous order quoting that order number. If you could just add those bumpers to the original order for shipping that would be great!

Ellipse

20 Nov 2016, 19:26

Yes that's fine!

I posted over 100 F62/F77 project photos here, if anyone is interested in seeing all the production photos in one place: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... h=3c48cfcd

Ellipse

22 Nov 2016, 03:34

I'm curious - how many of you are waiting until the completed ultra compact case prototype before ordering? I see some names from the interest list who have not yet ordered (or maybe they left the user name blank on the order form).

Hypersphere

22 Nov 2016, 04:14

I'm still on the fence. Finances are in the red. Things might be better in Dec or Jan.

segacontroller

22 Nov 2016, 14:41

Ellipse wrote: I'm curious - how many of you are waiting until the completed ultra compact case prototype before ordering? I see some names from the interest list who have not yet ordered (or maybe they left the user name blank on the order form).
I am planning on ordering an ultra compact, just unsure on the layout to choose. I am waiting for my current early bird order to arrive before pulling the trigger on the ultra-compact, or might just go with the 77 key (still unsure).

Hypersphere

22 Nov 2016, 21:35

Got off the fence and placed my order for an extra ultracompact F62 case.

After I have received my two F62 boards with standard cases, I will evaluate the ultracompact case and then decide on ordering another F62 w/o a case and possibly additional ultracompact cases.

Ellipse

22 Nov 2016, 23:42

Sega here are photos of the various layouts if it helps: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/questio ... s-options/

You get a full set no matter which layout you choose, in case you want to switch later.

Ok sounds good Hypersphere.

Vizir

23 Nov 2016, 00:03

I am on the fence for ultra compact layout too. Waiting for a prototype.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ellipse

23 Nov 2016, 00:49

Project update: production has finished on all the original style cases for the early bird round! I made extras so you can still get in your early bird orders. Please disregard the colors in the photos as they are not accurate - I will take more photos when they arrive next month.

Also we are at $160,000 in orders!

ok, I will post photos as soon as the compact case prototypes arrive!
finished powdercoated cases  (3).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (3).jpg (180.43 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases  (8).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (8).jpg (120.23 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases  (15).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (15).jpg (101.95 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (4).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (4).jpg (339.53 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (4a).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (4a).jpg (243.15 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (5).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (5).jpg (168.9 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (6).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (6).jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (7).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (7).jpg (187.83 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (10).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (10).jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (11).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (11).jpg (260.73 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (13).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (13).jpg (222.38 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (14).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (14).jpg (209.44 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (15).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (15).jpg (200.1 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
finished powdercoated cases (16).jpg
finished powdercoated cases (16).jpg (241.15 KiB) Viewed 8241 times

alh84001
v.001

23 Nov 2016, 01:40

The black one is sexy as hell.

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Nov 2016, 05:21

alh84001 wrote: The black one is sexy as hell.
I'd be inclined to call all of them sexy as Hell.

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

23 Nov 2016, 08:53

Hi Ellipse!
You stated that lowserials could be sent from China in January. I ordered mine back in mid March (One of the four in Finland :D ) IIRC, is it a low serial?

alh84001
v.001

23 Nov 2016, 09:33

ohaimark wrote:
alh84001 wrote: I'd be inclined to call all of them sexy as Hell.
Sure, but still, that one stands out for me :)

Ellipse

23 Nov 2016, 18:08

pansku, all of the early bird keyboards are being sent at the same time from China to me. Then I will be testing each keyboard and mailing them one by one. They take about a month by sea mail. I am not shipping any orders directly from China.

You did not pick low serial but I can always upgrade anyone to low serial / early shipping - to do so please order 35 units of the following store item and choose free local pickup: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... ncrements/ and then make a note that it is for an upgrade to low serial.
Last edited by Ellipse on 18 Jun 2017, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

micrex22

24 Nov 2016, 02:20

Ellipse wrote: Khers the font is just their test font; I have not provided them with the graphics. I expect the final font to look like the original XT caps.

We are still waiting on key cap molds. Please see a few posts above for my update summary.
I know the 'Model F / M' font isn't that widely discussed, however I do have some older printed IBM documentation that mimics the same style as on the actual dye-sub labels. The closest example I've found was the (strangely) Program License Agreement on the diskette Adapter/A option, as per scanned here:
http://ibmfiles.com/downloads/adapter_a_warranty.pdf
(if a higher quality scan is needed let me know and I might be able to do more than 600 dpi)

It definitely looks like Helvetica, albeit 'rounded over'. I'm assuming this is an artifact of both the dye-sub and printing mechanisms? Although not all renditions of Helvetica in that document are that rounded off.

I'm still in the middle of scanning and archiving this stuff so yeah...

EDIT: after reviewing the fonts I have confirmed it is indeed 'Helvetica Light' for the text (not the regular Helvetica), the alphas may be the regular Helvetica. Sadly some of the special characters like '@', '$', and '^' are not specific to Helvetica so IBM pulled those from somewhere else. Fortunately they persisted on the ThinkPads (T4x / T6x) so IBM still uses it and it has to be found from somewhere.
Last edited by micrex22 on 24 Nov 2016, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ellipse

24 Nov 2016, 02:36

Thanks micrex.

If anyone has any info on how IBM did the dye sublimation of the keys back in the XT days (early 1980s) I'd like to know. Their later dye sub work was not as thick, deep black from what I have seen.

micrex22

24 Nov 2016, 03:30

Ellipse wrote: Thanks micrex.

If anyone has any info on how IBM did the dye sublimation of the keys back in the XT days (early 1980s) I'd like to know. Their later dye sub work was not as thick, deep black from what I have seen.
I'm not entirely certain the equipment for it changed. We can observe some of the changes as follows:
#1 Legends are bolder (not necessarily due to dye-sub technique, but the fonts could be re-adjusted to be lighter which I think is the case)
#2 Colour is darker (a different coloured ink could have been used)
#3 There is less bleeding (perhaps the older labels were left under the dye-sub machine longer so that the 'fadedness' effect was reduced and they became bolder).

Here's a photo comparing older '86 labels (top) to '94 lexmark labels (bottom)
http://i.imgur.com/cem83Jp.jpg

The Lexmark labels use an almost brown-like ink as opposed to the dark blueish-black. And the green is even different proving they reformulated the ink colouring.

This is just complete guesswork, but the Unicomp printing is sometimes faded, and as a result looks a little blurry (not counting when they actually blur labels from not positioning the dye-sub machine correctly). If we were to assume that the dye-sub was both positioned correctly and given a long enough time--and a more bolded Helvetica Light* is used with the correct parameters to ensure it's 'rounded off', then the labels should be XT-esque?

*It appears IBM was playing a bit of game with fonts, using 'lighter' variants and then adding a bold effect afterwards changing its look slightly / all the while being more thick. Therefore a 3rd party bolded Helvetica Light is not going to look the same as Helvetica Regular, even if the Regular is just as "thick"... which would explain why the IBM Helvetica Light looks rounded.
This is just me thinking out loud.

Here's the labels on my early old style Model M, the caps lock key is from an early F122. Probably plenty of photos of this, but may be convenient to have on hand anyways.
http://i.imgur.com/DEn9VY9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AoFBZIf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OBbMkvF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/d9PHhHU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/E2W99IY.jpg

dede4metal

24 Nov 2016, 14:08

What about shipping to the European union for a F62 Model F Keyboard – “Kishsaver”?

Ir0n

24 Nov 2016, 14:27

My red kishsaver is some where there... waiting for daddy to hold her. :(

Ellipse

25 Nov 2016, 06:16

dede, I will ship to Europe! On the checkout page on www.modelfkeyboards.com, please select "Europe shipping." Due to US Post Office price increases earlier this year, shipping to Europe is a little more costly.

Ellipse

25 Nov 2016, 06:43

Here is a breakdown of the 348 F62/F77 keyboards ordered so far, by general flipper placement/PCB type.

Overall we have 170 US ANSI, 150 HHKB style, 27 ISO, and 1 DVORAK.

166 ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)
81 HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace
65 HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace
24 ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
3 ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key) and Split Backspace
1 HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI
1 ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift), HHKB with split backspace
1 HHKB split right shift only with regular 2-unit wide backspace, with ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
1 HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace, original position Ctrl and Caps lock keys
1 DVORAK layout; ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)
1 ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
1 HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace and short left shift
1 ANSI (U.S. default - horizontal Enter key) with split right shift, split backspace, and HHKB keys but not HHKB layout
1 ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift) and HHKB-Style Split Right Shift

Scarpia

25 Nov 2016, 09:34

Um... what's the difference between these two options:
Ellipse wrote: 65 HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace
(...)
1 HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI
I ordered the 'HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace' but now I worry that I may have chosen wrong.

Return to “Group buys”