F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

darkcruix

12 Feb 2018, 16:14

TerminalJunkie wrote: ... Instead, how about an F72, which simply removes five keys from the right side of the F77 so we get the six-key cluster and inverted T that's familiar from the EXT and SSK? It would require another case variation, but probably not any PCB changes. I'd buy another keyboard if an F72 like that were offered (ideally the compact case, but I'd be okay with the big case also).
I guess we can make Ellipse completely go bananas, with all the awesome ideas :).
I used to use the native navigational option on a Mac (or Emacs, or bash) [Ctrl+F / Ctrl+B / Ctrl+P / Ctrl+N) but as I switch between various OSs during a normal day, I want my "Nav Cluster". I guess out of the roughly 400 F62s already ordered, there will be 401 different ways to implement navigation :).
Keep them posted, I'd love to hear all the ideas and use cases.

The F62 is beautiful in its classic design and until I have it in my hands, I want to think about how I configure it. Learning from you all is probably the best way to get there. Thanks for the replies.

wobbled

12 Feb 2018, 16:21

I had a dream about my ellipse kishsaver being delivered last night in a huge box full of dell rubber dome keyboards. It was the most wonderful surprise ever until I woke up

Khers

12 Feb 2018, 16:26

As in you had ordered a large box of dell rubber domes and the ellipsesaver just happened to be in there, or as in Ellipse had used dell rubber domes as packing material when shipping out the keyboard?

JP!

12 Feb 2018, 16:50

Those rubber dome membranes would make for some great packing material, along with the packing slip printed with a dot matrix printer.

depletedvespene

12 Feb 2018, 17:13

Just don't let Ellipse send us the keyboard drivers in either 3½" or 5¼" diskettes.

darkcruix

12 Feb 2018, 17:16

ROTFL - what a nightmare :)

Luna
Alt255

12 Feb 2018, 17:38

depletedvespene wrote: Just don't let Ellipse send us the keyboard drivers in either 3½" or 5¼" diskettes.
I actually prefer them on cassette tapes.

wobbled

12 Feb 2018, 18:30

Khers wrote: As in you had ordered a large box of dell rubber domes and the ellipsesaver just happened to be in there, or as in Ellipse had used dell rubber domes as packing material when shipping out the keyboard?
I just remember being surprised at seeing a massive Dell branded box filled with rubber domes with a NIB ellisaver in the middle. I wonder if he'd be willing to pack them like this so it arrives to us all as a surprise :lol:

depletedvespene

12 Feb 2018, 18:58

wobbled wrote:
Khers wrote: As in you had ordered a large box of dell rubber domes and the ellipsesaver just happened to be in there, or as in Ellipse had used dell rubber domes as packing material when shipping out the keyboard?
I just remember being surprised at seeing a massive Dell branded box filled with rubber domes with a NIB ellisaver in the middle. I wonder if he'd be willing to pack them like this so it arrives to us all as a surprise :lol:
Well... Ellipse COULD order a big lot of Unicomp's ValuePlus rubberdomes and use THAT for the surprise.

darkcruix

16 Feb 2018, 18:25

I haven't seen any info here, but I wonder if Ellipse has the dye-sub process in place, yet. I can imagine that the correct alignment of the characters is not that easy to accomplish (looking at the Unicomp prints in front of me, which aren't that consistent). If I am not mistaken, during dye-sub the PBT has to be re-heated and can deform again...
Also, will the front printing (e.g. F1 / F2 ...) be a pad printing process or also dye-sublimation?

Zed

16 Feb 2018, 18:38

darkcruix wrote: I haven't seen any info here, but I wonder if Ellipse has the dye-sub process in place, yet. I can imagine that the correct alignment of the characters is not that easy to accomplish (looking at the Unicomp prints in front of me, which aren't that consistent). If I am not mistaken, during dye-sub the PBT has to be re-heated and can deform again...
Also, will the front printing (e.g. F1 / F2 ...) be a pad printing process or also dye-sublimation?
I sent the preliminary artwork to Ellipse last week so we should hopefully see some test prints soon. AFAIK, he will be using dye-sub for all the legends.

depletedvespene

16 Feb 2018, 18:42

Zed wrote:
darkcruix wrote: I haven't seen any info here, but I wonder if Ellipse has the dye-sub process in place, yet. I can imagine that the correct alignment of the characters is not that easy to accomplish (looking at the Unicomp prints in front of me, which aren't that consistent). If I am not mistaken, during dye-sub the PBT has to be re-heated and can deform again...
I sent the preliminary artwork to Ellipse last week so we should hopefully see some test prints soon. AFAIK, he will be using dye-sub for all the legends.
If I may ask... how many national layouts have you done already?

darkcruix

16 Feb 2018, 19:03

Zed wrote:
Beautiful! thanks for the info.

Zed

16 Feb 2018, 19:15

depletedvespene wrote:
Zed wrote:
If I may ask... how many national layouts have you done already?
All of them! Everything has at least been roughed out at this point. I want to see some test prints before going crazy with all the small text on the modifiers so they are placeholders for now but the large alphas and icons are done.

Here is a quick screen shot of the US International kit. Ignore the blue coloring.
Attachments
XT International Screen Shot.PNG
XT International Screen Shot.PNG (58.69 KiB) Viewed 6124 times

depletedvespene

16 Feb 2018, 19:53

I can't wait to see the rest. :-)

Sp33ls

16 Feb 2018, 20:41

consolation wrote: Article from Popular Mechanics 201803

Edit: eh... I moved the file off-site
Thanks for the share.

Is this the full article? It seems to end a bit... abruptly. Given the title, I was expecting more details on the journey that is reviving the new Model F's. Or is that a silly expectation?

consolation

16 Feb 2018, 21:07

That's it... Seriously, that mag is 90% advertising. Given its name I was expecting something bit more meaty.

darkcruix

16 Feb 2018, 21:30

Zed wrote: Here is a quick screen shot of the US International kit. Ignore the blue coloring.
Thanks for the update! Sounds like you're getting closer and closer. Can't wait to feel / hear the springs buckling and flippers flip.... :)

darkcruix

17 Feb 2018, 19:13

Btw: the attached design contains Esc and a complete Function Key set. I guess those will not be part of either the F77 nor F62. I am asking, because I am specifically interested, if an Esc key is part of the shipment.

Zed

17 Feb 2018, 20:16

darkcruix wrote: Btw: the attached design contains Esc and a complete Function Key set. I guess those will not be part of either the F77 nor F62. I am asking, because I am specifically interested, if an Esc key is part of the shipment.
I think that everybody who has ordered keys with their board gets a full 103 key set but Ellipse will have to verify.

j0d1

17 Feb 2018, 22:58

Alright, I could not resist anymore, I'm in :D

darkcruix

17 Feb 2018, 23:32

j0d1 wrote: Alright, I could not resist anymore, I'm in :D
Welcome!
I guess Ellipse will have more to produce than he ever imagined :). I already ordered two and I am trying to convince more people :)

Ellipse

20 Feb 2018, 02:37

Yes confirmed if you order a set you get the full set instead of just 77/62 keys.

Next month I should receive some dye sub samples. A US dye sub expert is working on dye sub samples with the new factory keys to help figure out the equipment and processes needed to produce optimal results.

darkcruix

20 Feb 2018, 11:04

Ellipse wrote: Yes confirmed if you order a set you get the full set instead of just 77/62 keys.

Next month I should receive some dye sub samples. A US dye sub expert is working on dye sub samples with the new factory keys to help figure out the equipment and processes needed to produce optimal results.
Wow, so for 1,000 orders so far, you have to produce roughly 100,000 keys at 1U and dye sub print them in variations.

I hope you can share some pictures, once the first samples came in.

Theodoooore

20 Feb 2018, 16:32

I haven't been following this project too closely but I have been at least casually interested. My question is, how much longer are orders expected to be open?

I'd love an F77 but due to the high price I worry that orders closing too soon could spell doom if I haven't saved fast enough.

Thanks.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

20 Feb 2018, 16:44

Theodoooore wrote: I'd love an F77 but due to the high price I worry that orders closing too soon could spell doom if I haven't saved fast enough.
There will be a round 2.

evoman

20 Feb 2018, 19:28

I asked something like this earlier, but the thread was on a run and I never saw a reply. Sorry if the info appears somewhere in the nearly 100 pages of the thread, I haven't been able to formulate a search that gives me the answer

I ordered a F77 (and a heap of extras), but I have been eyeing the compact cases after using a much smaller keyboard in recent months. Is it possible to move the F77 parts into a compact case? Also, any idea of how much later the compact cases will ship.

I love the nostalgic look of the classic case, but the extra width might annoy me (I have been using a NovaTouch TKL in recent months, which I think is similar in size to the compact case).

Thanks for any info

Ellipse

20 Feb 2018, 23:37

Yes if you order a spare case of a different type (compact/classic style) then you will get the back plate as well so you can switch between the two. The other parts are all interchangeable.

frankbartoli

21 Feb 2018, 19:22

Hi Ellipse, sorry if I'm direct but I follow with intervals of months ... there are news about my order? Thank you

Ellipse

22 Feb 2018, 02:20

Frank we are still waiting on a few parts to finish production - springs, inner plates, keys, and compact cases.

Return to “Group buys”