F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Elrick

04 Mar 2018, 05:53

FXT wrote:
Luna wrote: Step 0: wait about 2000 years for the Ellipse to arrive! :)
Waiting for the second coming (of the Model F)
Once our hero is done producing the Model-F series, Ellipse should then concentrate upon the current dream-line keyboard known as the "Beamspring" Wonder.

PLEASE Ellipse don't let that humble Beamspring fade back in history BUT resurrect this unique keyed amazement for all of us addicted freako's, wanting this loud as hell keyboard.

WE want to shake the bowels of the earth and the Beamspring, should deliver that special kind of Gape ;) .

Snazzy

05 Mar 2018, 19:12

Ellipse wrote: I plan on sending out some loaner units to professional tech reviewers after the first round production keyboards are done. If anyone has any contacts or recommendations that you haven't mentioned beforehand please PM me. From everyone who appreciates buckling spring keyboards, prof. or not, I'd like as many thorough reviews as possible!
Ellipse, I run Snazzy Labs, a smaller YouTube tech channel (400K subscribers), and already pre-ordered an F77 early last year. I am stoked about the project and was planning on making a video featuring the board already; however, if you wanted to send me one of the earlier production models, I could get something up sooner rather than later. Let me know! Thanks.

wobbled

05 Mar 2018, 19:15

Snazzy wrote: Ellipse, I run Snazzy Labs, a smaller YouTube tech channel (400K subscribers), and already pre-ordered an F77 early last year. I am stoked about the project and was planning on making a video featuring the board already; however, if you wanted to send me one of the earlier production models, I could get something up sooner rather than later. Let me know! Thanks.
Your channel is fantastic, I hope we get to see some Model F reviews from you with review samples of all case colours and case variants! Make it happen Ellipse!

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 19:16

Snazzy wrote:
Ellipse wrote: I plan on sending out some loaner units to professional tech reviewers after the first round production keyboards are done. If anyone has any contacts or recommendations that you haven't mentioned beforehand please PM me. From everyone who appreciates buckling spring keyboards, prof. or not, I'd like as many thorough reviews as possible!
Ellipse, I run Snazzy Labs, a smaller YouTube tech channel (400K subscribers), and already pre-ordered an F77 early last year. I am stoked about the project and was planning on making a video featuring the board already; however, if you wanted to send me one of the earlier production models, I could get something up sooner rather than later. Let me know! Thanks.
Hello! I didn't expect you here, snazzy! :)

Small youtube channel? I wouldn't say so. You are pretty successful, which is great and I like the content, though I'm not a Mac guy myself 8-)

FXT
XT

05 Mar 2018, 20:38

Snazzy wrote:
Maybe I should start a YouTube channel so I can get an F77 early... Jokes aside, if you do get one early I'd love to see an in depth video on it.

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 20:49

FXT wrote:
Snazzy wrote:
Maybe I should start a YouTube channel so I can get an F77 early... Jokes aside, if you do get one early I'd love to see an in depth video on it.
I hope it'll be more than just 'LOL look at this ancient clicky keeeb'. But Snazzy Labs makes good content so I'm hopeful he will mention what went into this keyboard :)

But the coments will be toxic as hell, lots of people who think the Apex of keyboards are the offerings of the likes of Razer.

enrique.aliaga

05 Mar 2018, 22:51

First time I hear about the "Snazzy Labs" channel, but it really does look good! As an Apple user myself, I'm looking forward to enjoying your content. You've got a new subscriber here! :)

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Mar 2018, 22:55

Of course it should be reviewed on Deskthority first! :twisted: I don't know, by some duck old fart senior member.

yac

05 Mar 2018, 23:42

Ellipse wrote: The key factory has returned from the holiday break and will now start working on the PBT key tolerances. The keys need to be a little smaller coming out of the mold so they need to adjust and test the molds. They are experimenting with the PBT color mixing to get the right colors.

The factory is ready to start the dark gray color mixing. It's difficult for me to tell from the keyboard photos. What's a recommended Pantone/RAL value for the dark grey printed keys? Please post your recommendations. I'll also cross post in the other thread.
Pantone Cool Grey 46

Elrick

06 Mar 2018, 00:47

webwit wrote: Of course it should be reviewed on Deskthority first! :twisted: I don't know, by some duck old fart senior member.
Someone that knows about these type of IBM models and is not shy to announce the positives but also any negatives as well.

There is already too much 'SPONSORED' garbage, masquerading as 'reviews' and now Youtube is one giant advertorial for any product wanting to gain forced 'popularity'.

Not saying the F77 will be one of those entities here but this keyboard, has to stand on it's on own with it's superb build and execution of a supreme data entry device not seen in decades, since it was last released.

At least here on DT you don't get any extra fake propaganda, so well dispensed elsewhere on the web by Governments and Corporations.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

06 Mar 2018, 02:01

I would vote to give Thomas/Chyros a head start on reviews--he is a well established and valued member of the community and the keyboard reviews he makes for his chyrosran22 YouTube channel are always informative and entertaining.

sgtpopwell

06 Mar 2018, 02:31

No offense towards Snazzy but I'm with Techno Trousers.

Mimon

06 Mar 2018, 14:56

Not that I hold any sway around here, but I'm also fond of Thomas/Chryos. His videos were the first to help me understand why mechanical keyboards, especially vintage boards, are so special—I never would have been able to appreciate Ellipse's dedication to resurrecting the Model F without first learning about IBM's keyboard lineage from Thomas. He is a natural teacher when it comes to mechanisms and construction (his explanation of how the IBM Selectric typewriter works is so lucid), but I think his affection for keyboards—in both its sincerity and in its breadth—is what might make his channel a great early review destination for the Brand New Model F Keyboards. Thomas doesn't come across as a product hype-man. He "gets it" and he helps other people "get it" too.

yac

08 Mar 2018, 11:04

That, and Chyros happens to be a huge Model F fan from what i've gathered from his vids. If he likes it, chances are the rest of us will, too. I pretty much know i'm going to love it!

Elrick

08 Mar 2018, 11:38

yac wrote: If he likes it, chances are the rest of us will, too. I pretty much know i'm going to love it!
I ONLY like it because Ellipse is Designing and Building it, hence this would NEVER occur in anyone's lifetime.

In this reality we are fortunate enough to have Ellipse here and in time most people around the world will appreciate this fact.

Already know that the F77 Keyboard will impress and surprise even the older folk, with this newly produced wonder.

darkcruix

08 Mar 2018, 11:57

Elrick wrote:
yac wrote: If he likes it, chances are the rest of us will, too. I pretty much know i'm going to love it!
I ONLY like it because Ellipse is Designing and Building it, hence this would NEVER occur in anyone's lifetime.

In this reality we are fortunate enough to have Ellipse here and in time most people around the world will appreciate this fact.

Already know that the F77 Keyboard will impress and surprise even the older folk, with this newly produced wonder.
Fully agree - this is history we are taking part. Thanks Ellipse, for letting us!

listofoptions

08 Mar 2018, 21:45

So over the weekend I purchased and cleaned (removed the foam) a 1501100 (minus a broken stand, any possible replacements available?) And it has made me soooo hyped for my f77! I think I'm gonna get a first aid kit for my order as well. Is there any way us plebians can get our hands on the complete system schematics, pcb layout files and mechanical cad drawings? With this much time and energy invested into the project it would be a shame to just let that knowledge disappear with time.

y11971alex

13 Mar 2018, 20:20

I succumbed to the temptation after resisting it for a whole year. Just ordered an F62.

darkcruix

13 Mar 2018, 20:59

y11971alex wrote: I succumbed to the temptation after resisting it for a whole year. Just ordered an F62.
Congratulations to this great decision!

Elrick

14 Mar 2018, 02:03

darkcruix wrote:
y11971alex wrote: I succumbed to the temptation after resisting it for a whole year. Just ordered an F62.
Congratulations to this great decision!
I wouldn't call it "succumbed" simply because it will be the most wisest decision that you have ever made here.

Some times GREAT decisions start with an inkling of what's to come so you indeed saw something special here and decided to join with us in owning a unique keyboard hand built by Ellipse.

Can you imagine being the first person to own a sketch or painting by Van Gogh during his time when he was alive and thinking, that it might be worth something in the future. This is such a Time and your decision to purchase something unique and rare such as a 2018 Model-F styled keyboard, is nothing rash or benign.

This keyboard when it's released will be talked about everywhere in hardcore communities such as here on DT hence this investment you sought, will pay off huge dividends within the near future. For me the F77 is a type of 'Van Gogh' waiting to be seen and appreciated by all those that value High Keyboard Usage and Art.

y11971alex

14 Mar 2018, 08:51

I appreciate it Elrick, but it is what it is. I think it’s an worthwhile but non-vital thing, so “succumb” is not entirely inappropriate.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Mar 2018, 14:32

If only Elrick had been around to hype art when Van Gogh was alive--he might not have died in poverty and obscurity.

digital_matthew

14 Mar 2018, 15:01

Techno Trousers wrote: If only Elrick had been around to hype art when Van Gogh was alive--he might not have died in poverty and obscurity.
Seriously. He's making me want to buy one of these even though I already have an F122.

green-squid

14 Mar 2018, 15:05

digital_matthew wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote: If only Elrick had been around to hype art when Van Gogh was alive--he might not have died in poverty and obscurity.
Seriously. He's making me want to buy one of these even though I already have an F122.
Every purchase matters! One buy equals better price! I hope everybody buys this so that I can buy it for cheaper in a few years :)

j0d1

14 Mar 2018, 15:37

I love to read the truths of the Brotherhood of Ellipse by the prophet Elrick.

He is genuinely passionate about this project and it's refreshing.

Amen.

FXT
XT

14 Mar 2018, 17:47

green-squid wrote:
digital_matthew wrote:
Every purchase matters! One buy equals better price! I hope everybody buys this so that I can buy it for cheaper in a few years :)
Unless you're hoping on getting one used it doesn't seem likely the price will drop.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.83 KiB) Viewed 5600 times

darkcruix

14 Mar 2018, 17:50

I bet the price will go through the roof as soon as the final round is over. :)

green-squid

14 Mar 2018, 19:14

But what if the reviews are good and it sells well enough to make this into a regularly manufactured product?

Elrick

15 Mar 2018, 00:52

green-squid wrote: But what if the reviews are good and it sells well enough to make this into a regularly manufactured product?
You really think that Ellipse will be doing this ----- Forever?

His life has all but stopped just for this project alone and I suspect he isn't looking forward to doing more Model-Fs till the day he dies. All good things occur and pass away simply because in the end it's exactly like producing Art.

Some Artists produce something unique then pass away but later professionals start looking at their work as a major contributor to the World of Art and their work becomes revered and worshiped.

This is like Ellipse, he won't be around forever turning out millions of his keyboards like Unicomp has done and we all know how bad Unicomp has become with their quality and finish. For Ellipse, it's a once off project and like all Great Art Projects it has to come to an end simply because he deserves some time alone to pursue other interests.

wcass

15 Mar 2018, 00:56

Zinc costs about $1.50 per pound in bulk. I think that most of the cost of these are in development, labor, and transportation. There is economy of scale with development and labor - not so much with transportation. Another way to put this is "the plastic is cheap, the mold is expensive."

Development costs can be huge as you go through iterations trying to find what works best and to your standards, but these costs are usually one-and-done (except for "continual improvement" efforts). I am very pro-open-source, but I don't grudge any developer choosing to protect his/her intellectual property for as long as they can. If there is a lot of demand for this, I expect cheap knock-offs to me made. But the folks that join this project get will get a quality keyboard and bragging rights.

Return to “Group buys”