F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Dingster

04 May 2018, 21:01

Blaise170 wrote: I thought we had finally moved on from that conversation. :?
I mean with every criticism there is bound to be a whole bunch of people against and for it, especially with such a big thing, but IMO it belongs in the thread that green-squid posted, not here.

green-squid

04 May 2018, 21:04

Okay, guys, let's end the linus conversation, now back to Ellipse updates and other funnesness. ;)

enrique.aliaga

04 May 2018, 23:58

green-squid wrote:Okay, guys, let's end the linus conversation, now back to Ellipse updates and other funnesness. ;)
Nah, let’s discuss about Linus Torvalds now. You guys use Linux? :D

Just kidding. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depletedvespene

05 May 2018, 01:40

Blaise170 wrote: I thought we had finally moved on from that conversation. :?
The undead horse just wants to be flogged, not ridden in. Oh, well...

While we wait for the F62/F77 keyboards to ship, I'm thinking up of how to use an F AT to best mimic the original keyboards' layout. There might be news about this soon.

green-squid

05 May 2018, 07:28

enrique.aliaga wrote:
green-squid wrote:Okay, guys, let's end the linus conversation, now back to Ellipse updates and other funnesness. ;)
Nah, let’s discuss about Linus Torvalds now. You guys use Linux? :D

Just kidding. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do use linux actually. Manjaro linux to be specific.

__red__

05 May 2018, 17:30

green-squid wrote: I do use linux actually. Manjaro linux to be specific.
I use NixOS.

I love a Linux where the OS is read only and build and configuration is functionally declared as opposed to imperatively assembled. Changes made by hand are automatically reversed resulting in a system which is completely consistent between by desktop & laptop.

Seriously, they're identical. I just copy the build configuration file, changed the video card from "nvidia" to "vmware" hit the build button and woooosh... everything is the same, even down to my UI preferences.

Mio

07 May 2018, 10:37

Hello, I've not yet brought this keyboard, although I'm very interested in it. Maybe I'll be there for the second and final round.

One of the things I really don't like in this project is the "made in China" label. Sorry for saying that, I know it's just a stupid thing to think from me, but how more cool would be to have a "made in USA" label instead on a brand new F62...

By the way, Ellipse is claiming that he will test and tweak (and of course pack) any single keyboard he will ship, so there is still a relevant amount of work that is made in USA (the US law must say something concerning that, and maybe even if just the final part of the assembly takes place in the USA it's legal to print "made in USA").

I'm in Europe and I brought a new Unicomp Ultra Classic keyboard last year and I find myself very pleased and proud for the "made in USA" label it has underneath. But... is it completely made in USA? I think not, because the keyboard came to Europe with a Custom's form where there was a field called "origin" and its content said "CN", which stands obviously for China.

So I got a "made in USA" keyboard, shipped to me from Kentuky, whose origin was China!

I guess they have some parts of their keyboards coming directly to them from China (which is not illogical nowadays, as my keyboard is from 2017), but they still maintain the rights to print this cool "made in USA" label.

This label doesn't change anything to the feeling of the keys, but I still think that it adds some non-negligible value to the keyboard itself, and even if it's just a label.

codemonkeymike

07 May 2018, 12:37

Unicomp keyboards are made in the USA, though I am sure they source the electronics from China. That would explain the "origin China". It is known Unicomp has the old Lexmark Model M molds, this is a fact.

amati35

07 May 2018, 18:44

I think the Ultra Classic is a new case design from Unicomp, but I'm not 100% sure.
In any case they don't seem to have the SSK molds!!!!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

07 May 2018, 18:53

amati35 wrote: I think the Ultra Classic is a new case design from Unicomp, but I'm not 100% sure.
it is not, its from an ibm japan buckling spring board. the 5576 C01 IIRC.

kf1246

07 May 2018, 22:44

mike52787 wrote:
amati35 wrote: I think the Ultra Classic is a new case design from Unicomp, but I'm not 100% sure.
Wow. The casing does appear to be identical. I wonder if it was just part of the tooling they bought from Lexmark.

Elrick

08 May 2018, 03:48

Mio wrote: But... is it completely made in USA? I think not, because the keyboard came to Europe with a Custom's form where there was a field called "origin" and its content said "CN", which stands obviously for China.
Well according to the current regime in Washington they want to conduct a "Trade War" with China hence it may become far harder in the future to get anything shipping to the US out of China.
Mio wrote: So I got a "made in USA" keyboard, shipped to me from Kentuky, whose origin was China!
Suspect you may get soon what you always wanted, a 100% made keyboard only from the US of A but do expect to really pay huge sums for it.

The US is far away from offering any product at a lower price bracket, unless all of US citizens want to work for "Chinese wages" but still pay for increased U.S. costs of living.

Mio

08 May 2018, 16:05

Elrick wrote: Suspect you may get soon what you always wanted, a 100% made keyboard only from the US of A but do expect to really pay huge sums for it
Although I'd like to buy a Model F, I'm pretty fine with my Unicomp Model M right now: it has Windows keys, personalised keysets and it is even a bit smaller than a regular IBM. Oh, and is black!
Oh, again, it says: "made in USA"!

I agree that the Unicomps are cheap for what they are and for the heritage they represent. But, well, they are definitely not a true bargain if you buy one of them from abroad: shipping + customs costed me more than the keyboard itself (but I admit that shipping was very fast, as I had my personalized KB in just a week delivered to my house).

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

08 May 2018, 16:07

Elrick wrote: Well according to the current regime in Washington they want to conduct a "Trade War" with China hence it may become far harder in the future to get anything shipping to the US out of China.
lol sure

green-squid

08 May 2018, 16:11

Elrick wrote: Well according to the current regime in Washington they want to conduct a "Trade War" with China hence it may become far harder in the future to get anything shipping to the US out of China.
Source?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 May 2018, 16:21

kf1246 wrote:
mike52787 wrote:
Wow. The casing does appear to be identical. I wonder if it was just part of the tooling they bought from Lexmark.
I don't have my 5576 C01's anymore, but I think I compared them to the Unicomp's, and the casing/molds were actually different.

codemonkeymike

08 May 2018, 17:20

green-squid wrote:
Source?
First result, google actually auto completed after I said "trade war" it had first result "trade war with china 2018"
https://www.ft.com/content/dd2af6b0-4fc ... 83af05aea7

Won't be relevant though because electronics never get touched in these types of trade squabbles. Generally some auto parts and agricultural products. On the point of electronics being made in the US fully, it just won't happen and not because of labor costs, we simply don't have the massive infrastrucure built around the electronics business. Component fabs, used parts, tooling etc etc that is all a slow boat ride away from any electonics entrepreneur in the US. In China all that is within a short car ride away in cities like Shenzhen.

green-squid

08 May 2018, 17:22

codemonkeymike wrote:
green-squid wrote:
Source?
First result, google actually auto completed after I said "trade war" it had first result "trade war with china 2018"
https://www.ft.com/content/dd2af6b0-4fc ... 83af05aea7

Won't be relevant though because electronics never get touched in these types of trade squabbles. Generally some auto parts and agricultural products. On the point of electronics being made in the US fully, it just won't happen and not because of labor costs, we simply don't have the massive infrastrucure built around the electronics business. Component fabs, used parts, tooling etc etc that is all a slow boat ride away from any electonics entrepreneur in the US. In China all that is within a short car ride away in cities like Shenzhen.
I stand corrected.

The White Tiger

08 May 2018, 18:14

Just made an account to say that, because talks between the US and China are ongoing, this discussion about a possible tariff's impact on keyboard imports is highly speculative and not worth having. Or at least not in this thread, I'd think.

Mio

10 May 2018, 16:40

I'm really the only one here who has interest for that sticker?

Ellipse

12 May 2018, 03:10

Another mini update:

Keys - new samples arrived, and the factory has succeeded in fixing almost all of the out of tolerance keys! They just need to finish working on the 2U and wider keys which are not yet within tolerance.

The 80% black keys look right to me, though they are difficult to photograph correctly (the black keys look more noticeably darker than the grey keys in person). Is this the right color people are looking for? Below are photos of the dark grey keys on the left and some black keys on the right for comparison.

The factory sent the first Industrial SSK blue color sample. They are close but not yet a match.

Springs-the factory rejected the second group of samples they were working on due to poor quality material. They will source the spring material from another supplier and remake the remaining springs this month.
20180511_202557.jpg
20180511_202557.jpg (902.63 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
20180511_202552.jpg
20180511_202552.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 6941 times
blue keys.jpg
blue keys.jpg (139.18 KiB) Viewed 6941 times

Elrick

12 May 2018, 05:05

Ellipse wrote: Another mini update:

The factory sent the first Industrial SSK blue color sample. They are close but not yet a match.
blue keys.jpg
Oh damn, this has really moistened me to such an extent.

Didn't know that this style of Blue would do that :shock: .

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 May 2018, 05:27

Now I'm thinking about mixing and matching a set of all dark gray with a set of all blue to get a couple of nice two-tone sets. Hmmm.

darkcruix

12 May 2018, 06:34

Ellipse wrote:Another mini update:
The 80% black keys look right to me, though they are difficult to photograph correctly (the black keys look more noticeably darker than the grey keys in person). Is this the right color people are looking for? Below are photos of the dark grey keys on the left and some black keys on the right for comparison.

These are superb news. On the photo, the dark grey looks a bit too dark to me (Just my preference). If you dye-sub black legends they (the black of the legend) will be around 90% grey at the end and then it looks not great. (check the 80% sample with black legend below)
C8C5B1F8-9741-4733-888F-27F27E84057B.jpeg
C8C5B1F8-9741-4733-888F-27F27E84057B.jpeg (596.82 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
The mopar blue looks very close ... so exited!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Chalba

13 May 2018, 01:40

Hey @Ellipse I have a question. =P All these tests/sample batches/test/reject parts - do they all get recycled into material, or will they possibly be up for sale/grab when the project is finished? =D

Ellipse

13 May 2018, 02:14

They will be sold off or discarded after the orders ship out. If anyone is interested in any rejected prototypes please PM me.

FXT
XT

13 May 2018, 07:39

Techno Trousers wrote: Now I'm thinking about mixing and matching a set of all dark gray with a set of all blue to get a couple of nice two-tone sets. Hmmm.
I'm doing this with my F107, can't wait to see how it turns out.

evoman

15 May 2018, 11:15

Has there been an updated ETA?

Elrick

17 May 2018, 06:42

evoman wrote: Has there been an updated ETA?
You don't need an ETA with an Ellipse built keyboard, it shall arrive on your front door when you least expect it ;) .

wobbled

17 May 2018, 09:21

More like you can't get an ETA with an Ellipse keyboard. He has to get every detail about the project 100% spot on, which while being a complete pain in the dick, should make us all happy and be worth it in the long run

Return to “Group buys”