F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

barelyanything

14 Jun 2022, 16:13

I love my F77 with solenoid. However the original mounting hardware interfere and pushes the mainboard assembly towards them front of the case. Causing bottom row keys to stuck after pressing.
I also discovered that the screw that comes with the kit is taller than the cork feet, which scratches or damaged the surface of my table.

I've designed a mounting bracket with offset the position of solenoid so that it doesn't interfere with the mainboard.
You can also mount the Driver board on it so it doesn't dangling around inside the case.
There are places for you to attach all the original mounting hardware so you won't lose them.
There's an optional pin to attached the bracket to the original mounting hole, you can skip the Pin and use tape to attach the whole thing in other position.

Here's how it looks like attached to the keyboard

You can download it from Thingiverse

Let me know if the design also works for the F62.

Thanks.

Ellipse

15 Jun 2022, 01:16

NathanA my apologies that I did not understand or may have overlooked some of the posts about setting up the momentary toggle layers.

barelyanything thanks for posting your addon part - please share a photo of the bottom of the case / how it's mounted securely inside as it is not clear to me.

barelyanything

15 Jun 2022, 04:40

Ellipse wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 01:16
barelyanything thanks for posting your addon part - please share a photo of the bottom of the case / how it's mounted securely inside as it is not clear to me.
There's an optional pin (if you choose not to use tape or Blu Tak to mount the bracket). Which goes through the hole in the Solenoid side. of the bracket. And then you can attach the bracket to the original hole where you screw in the screws for the solenoid originally. It's a snap fit to the hole.

Ellipse

15 Jun 2022, 05:08

Do any EE's have recommendations on whether ferrite chokes/cores for USB cables fix issues in certain computer setups with the xwhatsit controller-powered keyboards? I was told it was not necessary after I had them included on the early cables for the project. I'm planning on ordering more cables this month to prepare for the final round.

Thanks barelyanything - below I have embedded your video which shows how it is installed.

BuGless

15 Jun 2022, 12:46

Ellipse wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 05:08
Do any EE's have recommendations on whether ferrite chokes/cores for USB cables fix issues in certain computer setups with the xwhatsit controller-powered keyboards?
Ferrite chokes mostly make a difference if the effective currents flowing through their center are non-zero.
This means:
- They will not improve signal to noise ratio on USB cables, because all operating currents flowing in and out of the USB cable are zero-sum (the same current coming in over one of the four USB wires will go out over others, at the same time: ergo the sum is zero).
- They will dampen the surge traveling through the wire in case of a static discharge from a person touching the keyboard. The risk here depends on the conductivity from the keys to the PCB (which already is close to zero), and on the conductivity between the case and the PCB.

My recommendation:
- Do not use ferrite chokes on USB cables.
- Add a 10 Mega-Ohm resistor between the PCB ground and the case ground, to ensure that static charges cannot build up and are dissipated very slowly.
- If you experience noise on the power-input from the USB, then add a standard low-pass filter there, using a coil between the USB +5V and the PCB and a capacitor behind the coil towards ground.
- Make sure all wires in the usb cable are properly pair-twisted over the full length of the cable (0V with 5V, D+ with D-).

chrisbowie

15 Jun 2022, 14:36

Got my new F77 and the quality is amazing - but I am having issues with some keys registering out of order to the keypresses.

I've found with some keys when I type fast that they register in the wrong order - I've reflashed, cleared EEPROM, compiled my own keymap in QMK and also tried setting both NKRO_ENABLE to yes and no in rules.mk, reflashing and not finding any difference.

A good example is typing "QMK'...which appears as MQK when I type fast...also seems to happen with a few other keys.

Any ideas on how to fix other than typing slower!?!?

Ellipse

15 Jun 2022, 22:25

chrisbowie did you see the note in the manual about tightening up the 2 controller ground screws? That usually fixes the issues you are describing.

Thanks BuGless for your post.

BuGless

16 Jun 2022, 06:52

chrisbowie wrote:
Got my new F77 and the quality is amazing - but I am having issues with some keys registering out of order to the keypresses.
Depending on the characteristic of the mounted spring, the latency between pressing a key and it being registered can increase slightly.
What tends to solve this, is for those keys where the latency is too long, take off the keycap, then remove the spring entirely (by turning it counterclockwise, I believe, check the new-model-f manual to verify this), reseat the spring (properly and carefully push it down using a pair of tweezers), and carefully put the keycap back on (holding the keyboard on its side, space bar on top).

I had this problem with two keys, after performing the above procedure, the problem was gone.

Bjerrk

16 Jun 2022, 16:02

BuGless wrote:
Depending on the characteristic of the mounted spring, the latency between pressing a key and it being registered can increase slightly.
Is this a known problem for IBM Model Fs as well? This is the first I've heard of it.

TerminalJunkie

17 Jun 2022, 05:40

Here is my wishlist for special keys. Are any of these a possibility?

1.75u Escape or Esc
1.25u Ctrl
1.25u Cmd
1.25u Mac Command icon (⌘)
1.5u Opt
1.5u Mac Option icon (⌥.)
Last edited by TerminalJunkie on 17 Jun 2022, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

BuGless

17 Jun 2022, 06:35

Bjerrk wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 16:02
BuGless wrote:
Is this a known problem for IBM Model Fs as well? This is the first I've heard of it.
I don't own any IBM Model Fs any longer, so I'm uncertain.
I do know that the new Model Fs mostly use gravity to bring the spring into the proper position for the keycap to be mounted. Sometimes the spring might not fall quite as perfectly down the center (most likely due to the spring being attached not perfectly straight). If the likelihood that the spring is off-center is less on real IBM Model Fs when mounting the keycap, then this problem would be less likely to occur on those keyboards.

depletedvespene

17 Jun 2022, 12:28

TerminalJunkie wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 05:40
Here is my wishlist for special keys. Are any of these a possibility?

1.75u Escape or Esc
I concur with this one; perhaps as part of a package (that Esc key plus the H, J, K and L alphas with vi arrows).

An 1.5U Caps Lock key.

A homing bar keycap for the key 6 in the main alpha block (I realize that this is the most difficult one, as it'll necessarily vary for each national layout: 6& and 6^ will be the most common occurrences).

My reasons for each in separate threads once I've finished catching up with this one. :?

allysure

18 Jun 2022, 08:49

Just received my F77 board! Amazing build quality and the typnig experience is very satisfying, albeit very LOUD. I think I might have annoyed my family with this board haha.

The only gripe I have is the finishing. There are some obvious flaws (see: https://imgur.com/zp80k0J). For such an expensive board, it is a little disappointing but the pros of the board far outweighs the cons. It was well-worth the wait.

Ellipse

19 Jun 2022, 00:00

Does anyone strongly prefer ordering the denser/more rubbery foam (all the foam I have been mailing out so far)? I am now nearly out of the f77 regular foam so all future foam is going to be the authentic IBM style, much lighter XT style foam (the non-crumbly variety). Given the minimum order quantities there would have to be at least 25-30 foams requested in the less authentic style.

1.75 Esc pebble - I ordered a few of these - ok to order in the store - extra keys (1.75U key) item
1.5 opt (Apple style) - I don't offer this key but there's a similar 1.5 alt key in the icons set row 2 #16: ⎇Alt key with arrow (U+2387)
1.5 Caps Lock - this key is part of the HHKB and Ergodox sets in text form and in icon form as part of some international HHKB sets - if someone wants one please let me know so I can set the key aside.
1U keys with a nub instead of the regular key can be requested on a one-off basis - please message me for details. There is a small setup fee for this, plus a fee to help cover air shipping costs from the factory.

Just like many of the IBM 4704 originals formerly in my collection, all of the keyboards have defects and chips in the paint, especially the highly textured original style cases that do not have a clear coat protective finish. Another effect of this finish is that the paint will wear down over time with usage just like the originals. A number of my 4704 originals were clearly repainted at some point. The recent batch of die cast aluminum compact cases seem to have fewer defects from what I have seen.

Guppy

19 Jun 2022, 00:13

I would have to ask, what is the difference in feel (if any) on the F77 regular foam vs authentic IBM style? How about differences in wear/lifetime?

EDIT: I'll send a PM as well. It probably doesn't make that much difference to me.
Last edited by Guppy on 19 Jun 2022, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

19 Jun 2022, 00:17

Ellipse wrote:
Does anyone strongly prefer ordering the denser/more rubbery foam (all the foam I have been mailing out so far)? I am now nearly out of the f77 regular foam so all future foam is going to be the authentic IBM style, much lighter XT style foam (the non-crumbly variety). Given the minimum order quantities there would have to be at least 25-30 foams requested in the less authentic style.

1.75 Esc pebble - I ordered a few of these - ok to order in the store - extra keys (1.75U key) item
1.5 opt (Apple style) - I don't offer this key but there's a similar 1.5 alt key in the icons set row 2 #16: ⎇Alt key with arrow (U+2387)
1.5 Caps Lock - this key is part of the HHKB and Ergodox sets in text form and in icon form as part of some international HHKB sets - if someone wants one please let me know so I can set the key aside.
1U keys with a nub instead of the regular key can be requested on a one-off basis - please message me for details. There is a small setup fee for this, plus a fee to help cover air shipping costs from the factory.
PMing in 3... 2... 1...

Wazrach

19 Jun 2022, 09:57

Ellipse wrote:
I am now nearly out of the f77 regular foam so all future foam is going to be the authentic IBM style, much lighter XT style foam (the non-crumbly variety).
Hi Joe,

Since I recently placed my F77 order, can I opt for the lighter, original-style foam in mine? Would this incur any additional cost? It's OK if not - I just have a feeling this will make the sound lower-pitched.

tiltowait

20 Jun 2022, 03:17

I got my F62 four days ago. Works great and without any blemishes on the case. The black keys all have a slight discoloration on the upper left corner, which is a little odd but not something I care about. Kind of gives it character, and it's not like I ever look at the keys while typing.

One odd issue I encountered was with programming some "LT N" keys in pandrew's configurator. While the default layout (HHKB w/ split backspace) works just fine (including a mildly customized version that swaps CMD and Alt keys), trying to set up the quantum key "LT 3 (Tab)" doesn't work as expected. While it does switch layers, the key winds up acting as a one-way toggle rather than a momentary switch when held. Has anyone else encountered this, and is there any suggested fix? (With 251 pages, I'm not too keen on searching manually!)

BuGless

20 Jun 2022, 13:58

tiltowait wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 03:17
trying to set up the quantum key "LT 3 (Tab)" doesn't work as expected. While it does switch layers, the key winds up acting as a one-way toggle rather than a momentary switch when held. Has anyone else encountered this, and is there any suggested fix?
Most likely cause: On the target layer 3 you forgot to make the Tab key KC_TRNS.
What happens is that the LT action is taken on key-press, but is missed on key release (due to the key not passing through down to the LT action definition).

shampoo

20 Jun 2022, 20:02

Anyone ever look at making this wireless ? Ideally with the ability to switch between hosts ?

tiltowait

20 Jun 2022, 20:17

@BuGless that seems to have done it. Thanks!

@shampoo I would love a wireless version, but I don't think it's in the cards at the moment.

BuGless

21 Jun 2022, 00:13

shampoo wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 20:02
Anyone ever look at making this wireless ? Ideally with the ability to switch between hosts ?
I think the idea was/is that adding the wireless option is "easily" done by yourself (just add a battery, charging circuit, bluetooth module and write a driver for QMK to interface with the bluetooth module); in short: it's too much work for a one-person keyboard factory.

depletedvespene

21 Jun 2022, 00:53

Ellipse wrote:
12 May 2022, 05:18

Thanks for the feedback webwit and NathanA. I think the thread would definitely benefit from feedback from folks who have been using their new Model F keyboards for months/years at this point - please do share!
I'll add a "where are they now?" comment on my review from 15 months ago. :mrgreen:

(spoiler: right in front from me)

depletedvespene

21 Jun 2022, 05:19

PRIPARA_PLAYER

21 Jun 2022, 10:29

Just got my shipping email (nearly a 4 year wait for me)

I'm looking at compiling qmk myself to use some c code I've written for tmk in the past. I remember reading about some issues building qmk due to a new controller, so is there an up to date guide for building it for the F77?

Thanks

darkcruix

21 Jun 2022, 11:42

I am working on getting the QMK Web Configurator working as a secondary system to the one from pandrew: http://35.164.28.200:5000/#/xwhatsit/br ... LAYOUT_all.

The qmk_web_stack (https://github.com/qmk/qmk_web_stack) can be downloaded from github (link shown here). It is built as docker images. Unfortunately I am unable to get a stable system in place.
I was hoping that someone smarter than me, can point me in the right direction.

Here are my notes so far:
QMK_web_stack_Ubuntu.pdf
(49.44 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
And here are the configuration files that pandrew originally used for his QMK Web configurator:
docker-compose-andrei.zip
(4.92 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Huge thanks!

darkcruix

21 Jun 2022, 16:10

Someone asked for pictures of a Mopar Blue set on a keyboard lately. I have received my F62 compact design today, so I thought I add a set to it and paste it here.
IMG_4652(small).JPG
IMG_4652(small).JPG (181.14 KiB) Viewed 8563 times
IMG_4650(small).JPG
IMG_4650(small).JPG (135.57 KiB) Viewed 8563 times

chrisbowie

22 Jun 2022, 08:20

Ellipse wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 22:25
chrisbowie did you see the note in the manual about tightening up the 2 controller ground screws? That usually fixes the issues you are describing.

Thanks BuGless for your post.
Thanks - will try!

chrisbowie

22 Jun 2022, 08:21

BuGless wrote:
chrisbowie wrote:
What tends to solve this, is for those keys where the latency is too long, take off the keycap, then remove the spring entirely (by turning it counterclockwise, I believe, check the new-model-f manual to verify this), reseat the spring (properly and carefully push it down using a pair of tweezers), and carefully put the keycap back on (holding the keyboard on its side, space bar on top).

I had this problem with two keys, after performing the above procedure, the problem was gone.
Thank you, if the controller screws thing doesn't fix it will try this next, again many thanks

allysure

22 Jun 2022, 12:18

Been using my F77 as my main driver for the past few days and decided to switch back to using a regular MX style keyboard today. It just doesn't feel the same anymore. The F77 is just so much more tactile and satisfying and my old boards just pale in comparison. I think F77 has ruined my (old) taste in keyboards lol.

Return to “Group buys”