F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Kurozumi

06 Jan 2023, 12:35

Ellipse wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 04:04
Nice customizations Rauha, thefarside, Kurozumi, and TNT! Each of them has something new and unique that I do not believe I have seen photos of before.
Thanks very much Ellipse!

Got a few things i can't figure out with QMK configurator link found in the manual-video, maybe someone in here can help:
On the FN layer i mapped the arrow keys with mouse up/down/left/right, that works fine, the keys beside the up arrowkey are mapped with left and right click (mouse 1 and mouse 2 i assume), that doesn't work at all.
Is this a known bug and is there a fix to it? Other than that i tried to edit the config.h, but i didn;t find any option in the online configurator (just wanted to edit the polling rate and the simultaneously registered keys)

I tried to compile myself with QMK MSYS and the full source download of the beta configurator, but then it tells me something like there are files, but no qmk in this path. If i copy the xwhatsit folder into the QMK folder MSYS clones from git, i can compile but with lots of errors (beta version mismatch i guess).

If i'm missing something or if anyone figured it out, i would love some help :D

engr

12 Jan 2023, 18:28

Would the springs from F77 work with a Model M? I understand it would require bolt modding it and replacing the rockers, but would it actually function with F springs? I like the lighter feel of Model F keys, and it would be interesting to see how much of this feel is due to springs as opposed to PCB and larger rocker.

snarfbot

13 Jan 2023, 04:18

i just got mine today its delightful

Ellipse

13 Jan 2023, 19:06

Glad your keyboard arrived safely snarfbot!

QMK firmware bug - any ideas?
I received this note from someone: The issue has to do with waking a computer from sleep mode, with a new Model F directly connected to the computer. "I have tested all the keys, nothing is stuck and appears to work OK once logged in, but when pressing space bar or any key to wake the computer, instead of doing to the normal splash screen and then you press a key to bring up the login box, the keyboard is constantly repeating the keystroke until i press for example the back key then it stops, hence it jumps straight to the login prompt and continues to fill it until I press the back key."

I think it may be a firmware bug or a USB power saving setting that needs to be adjusted. https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/t ... etting.png

Ember2170

13 Jan 2023, 20:06

Here is more information about the issue, sorry for the X-posting.

I have it connected to a windows 10 PC. Each night I put my PC to sleep.

Normally when I take the PC from sleep I touch a key on the keyboard. This brings up the welcome screen on windows. Then pressing another button brings the login edit box; just like normal.

However this is not happening with this keyboard:
When waking from sleep you touch the keyboard and it repeats the same character over and over and due to the fact loads of keyboard keystrokes are happening it jumps straight to the login page and fills the login edit box constantly until I press any key and it then stops. I have to clear the edit field and enter my usual password.

Once logged in it operates normally, All key are working and nothing seems out of place.

I have tested on two PCs and have the same issue

AlexB555

16 Jan 2023, 15:46

I saw an interesting thing, since the last Windows 11 update (Preview Build 25247 / November 14, 2022), The old french AZERTY layout is now named "French (Legacy, AZERTY)" and Microsoft support 2 new standardized french layouts (Standard AZERTY and Standard BÉPO).

French (Standard, AZERTY) Layout :

http://kbdlayout.info/kbdfrna

French (Standard, BÉPO) Layout

http://kbdlayout.info/kbdfrnb

These 2 new french keyboard layouts include the ligatures æ,œ, the guillemets «» and we can type the uppercase É, À, Ù, Ç, Ê, È, Ë, Ï, etc. The old AZERTY (Legacy) layout for example can type é but not É.
Last edited by AlexB555 on 16 Jan 2023, 21:41, edited 3 times in total.

Ellipse

16 Jan 2023, 18:30

New review:

Here is a review article on the Ultra Compact F77 keyboard over at Cult of Mac

https://www.cultofmac.com/801538/model- ... rd-review/

Also the latest blog update has been posted:
https://modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

AlexB555

16 Jan 2023, 20:49

Oh you received my layout (Quebec CSA) from your factory :D ! I am excited to see the result and take some pictures 8-) !.

AlexB555

27 Jan 2023, 04:24

I received my layout. I still need to remap some keys (my Ctrl-Right first) but overall I love it! I used the ADM-3a terminal mod for my Esc/Ctrl/Shift keys (I am a vim user). Caps Lock is relocated between AltGr and Ctrl-Right (Group 2). Pictograms (ISO 9995-7) are used a lot in this layout and you can make some interesting stuff with the extras keys. This layout doesn't use the proper typeface (I used Helvetica) but it's not that bad. Red/Black looks right, just enough. In the first picture, you can see Enter (between AltGr and Ctrl-Right) and Return as used before on the old terminals.

For those interested in this layout, I think I also recommend the extra hhkb keyset including the Esc 1.5u + an extra key (1u caps lock or 1u tab) on their F77. Esc should be close as possible to the top left. Caps Lock in this layout is an atomic mushroom cloud with a horizontal bar inside.

The compose key 1.5u (square and circle merged) could be retired from the HHKB extra keyset (green frame) and offered only as an extra key in the future, or maybe remove this key from the hhkb keyset and add the 1u caps lock instead. Caps Lock feels right between AltGr and Ctrl-Right. Most people can live without a menu keycap.

The full album : https://www.flickr.com/photos/197610510@N08/

EDIT : The layout seems to be supported also on AIX (IBM).
Attachments
quebec_csa_04.JPG
quebec_csa_04.JPG (396.26 KiB) Viewed 12403 times
quebec_csa_03.JPG
quebec_csa_03.JPG (409.25 KiB) Viewed 12403 times
quebec_csa_02.JPG
quebec_csa_02.JPG (392.38 KiB) Viewed 12403 times
quebec_csa_01.JPG
quebec_csa_01.JPG (417.83 KiB) Viewed 12403 times
Last edited by AlexB555 on 08 Mar 2023, 16:05, edited 6 times in total.

TNT

27 Jan 2023, 10:00

That's really beautiful. Never seen some of these legends before tbh

darkcruix

27 Jan 2023, 14:36

I have to admit - that looks gorgeous ... thanks for posting

Ellipse

27 Jan 2023, 20:22

Great photos and a nice layout AlexB555! Thanks for sharing the high res photos on flickr.

Kurozumi

28 Jan 2023, 20:21

That looks really cool, never seen that layout before!

Ellipse

31 Jan 2023, 23:31

As a note, mechanical keyboard meetups are now happening again in NYC. I have signed up for the next one in April. I hope to bring a new Model F keyboard as well as a new beam spring keyboard. This will be my first meetup since 2019! Hoping to see some forum members there.

https://nyckeyboardmeetup.com/

darkcruix

05 Feb 2023, 17:34

Ellipse wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 23:31
As a note, mechanical keyboard meetups are now happening again in NYC. I have signed up for the next one in April. I hope to bring a new Model F keyboard as well as a new beam spring keyboard. This will be my first meetup since 2019! Hoping to see some forum members there.

https://nyckeyboardmeetup.com/
I just booked my flight ... still looking for a hotel, but if nothing earth shattering happens, I will be there

wolfman

06 Feb 2023, 02:51

Quick update about getting my refactored build version of the QMK firmware into the official QMK release.

I completed my testing. I did not discover any issues with the solenoid.

When I was doing a final review I discovered that VIA has been bumped to a new version. I now need to find time to update my version of the QMK firmware for the new version of VIA. :cry:

sedevidi

06 Feb 2023, 11:12

wolfman wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 02:51
When I was doing a final review I discovered that VIA has been bumped to a new version. I now need to find time to update my version of the QMK firmware for the new version of VIA. :cry:
Thank you very warmly much for this work!

Ellipse

06 Feb 2023, 23:42

Great darkcruix - looking forward to the meetup!

This is good news wolfman on the refactoring. Hopefully the QMK team can approve everything soon after you finalize and submit everything.

KVM Switches note:
There has been some discussion on KVM switches since they have been known to be tricky to work with Model F keyboards. Here are some notes that someone sent me on a solution that was found to be working with Model F keyboards:

"I am currently using the IOGEAR 4-Port HDMI 4K KVMP Switch — GCS1934H. I have used a variety of KVM’s over the years (different vendors, different video interfaces, etc.), and have had the best luck with the IOGEAR devices. As I don’t have the actual KVM in sight, I am dependent on using the keyboard triggered control sequences to switch between my 4 computers, and the F77 looks like a “typical” generic USB keyboard, so the keyboard based switching works fine, as do the media keys that I have configured. As with most things of this nature, YMMV, but this is a configuration that is working exactly as I require.

IOGEAR 4-Port HDMI 4K KVMP Switch - 2-Port USB 3.1 Hub Transfer Rate 5Gbps - 4K 60Hz - Control 4 Computers w/1 Keyboard Mouse - HD Audio - Auto Scan Mode - TAA - Mac/Win - GCS1934H"

Here's travel case that a forum member has recommended for the F77: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27873

Posting (with permission) another nice custom setup:
Attachments
IMG_1203 - Copy.jpg
IMG_1203 - Copy.jpg (559.55 KiB) Viewed 11670 times

engr

07 Feb 2023, 23:24

Any news on the pad printed black keys with white legends?

Ellipse

09 Feb 2023, 01:14

No updates yet; it is still in progress. Many folks are returning this week from the long Chinese New Year break so there has not been much recent activity.

wolfman

19 Feb 2023, 01:58

Since last November there have been changes to the QMK build system. The changes are preventing my refactored version the QMK firmware to compile with the newest version for QMK. My updates to support the newest version of VIA are going to take even longer.

o2dazone

27 Feb 2023, 19:28

Added a solenoid, floss modded my springs and did the "holee mod" for the spacebar stabilizer this weekend (with a dab of ro59 on the stab bar that touches the spacebar). Can't attach audio files to this post, and imgur doesn't support audio tracks for uploads. If anyone has suggestions for hosting, happy to upload them here. I will say the holee mod (https://a1kbd.com/holee-mod/) really helped a lot of with the spacebar rattle. I had to fine tune the stabilizer "hooks" on the barrel plate so the bar wasn't too pinched, but it was well worth it.

RainehDaze

27 Feb 2023, 21:41

Ordered mine the 17th and it got here today--would've even been on Friday, if not for import duties. That's a pretty impressive turnaround. Box got a little dinged on its journey across the ocean and up to me, but everything inside came out fine. No issues setting it up or changing the firmware; all the springs and everything are perfectly fine. Seems only the box suffered on the trip. :D

Not sure if I'll get used to the swapped lctrl/caps lock, but that'll be a quick fix if I ever change my mind. And for presumably years and years, I'll be able to annoy everyone with the mismatched function key colours (although I might change that to F9 if I get into games with quickloading again). :lol:

Really glad I decided to check on the project again at the beginning of the month. I'd remembered checking early 2021 but wasn't really into the wait. Glad I didn't miss out after all.

Ellipse

27 Feb 2023, 23:21

I do offer opposite-color pearl/pebble function keys as a couple folks requested them.

o2dazone can you post any photos on your mod?

Thanks for the update on the refactoring wolfman.

RainehDaze

27 Feb 2023, 23:44

Interesting. Think I'll probably just swap with a function key that's already matching, though--on better thought, I only use F1 for one purpose.

Once again, great job on the packaging, though. Went through three states, across an ocean, and across the UK, nothing inside was harmed at all.

o2dazone

28 Feb 2023, 00:20

@Ellipse: opened my board and took a few shots, sorry for the hairs. I'm not really sure what to do about the driver, its just kinda freefloating in there. I put kapton on the controller but maybe ill put some on the driver too. I also used a metal washer immediately outside and inside the case with the provided rubber washer on top of that.
IMG_2703.jpg
IMG_2703.jpg (927.12 KiB) Viewed 10711 times
IMG_2702.jpg
IMG_2702.jpg (721.69 KiB) Viewed 10711 times
IMG_2700.jpg
IMG_2700.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 10711 times
IMG_2699.jpg
IMG_2699.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 10711 times
IMG_2698.jpg
IMG_2698.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 10711 times
IMG_2697.jpg
IMG_2697.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 10711 times

Ellipse

28 Feb 2023, 02:12

Thanks o2dazone - do you have photos of your spacebar mod as well?

o2dazone

28 Feb 2023, 16:03

I've read that heat shrink tubing also works, so I might give that a go if the bandaids don't stay in place
E86FFC18-DA7B-4D71-B4A1-135E6D0F067C.jpeg
E86FFC18-DA7B-4D71-B4A1-135E6D0F067C.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 10597 times
A455BD09-7AA9-4FEA-B12F-A76CF517C0A8.jpeg
A455BD09-7AA9-4FEA-B12F-A76CF517C0A8.jpeg (3.91 MiB) Viewed 10597 times

daphnis

02 Mar 2023, 21:50

So it seems my old method of compiling a model-f layout with qmk is broken, and I have to go through the ordeal again of finding out how to go about it. Is there /one/ place with concise instructions for this that I just missed? I couldn't find the link on modelfkeyboards.com.

daphnis

02 Mar 2023, 22:24

And shouldn't the model-f stuff be in the qmk upstream?

Return to “Group buys”